Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a few comments in this thread on differences in various world markets, I think it's important for investors to understand different markets. I'm doing my bit by trying to understand USA "Truck" (Ute) market - not there yet, still bewildered, but learned a lot. I'm still left with the question of why does a granny need something the size of a small tank with an open bed (that someone can just nick stuff from) for grocery shopping?
Ah — perhaps I can help? It's all about that word "need". In the sense of utilitarian necessity, "need" has little bearing on the market for new consumer vehicles in the USA. Otherwise the USA would be emptier of premium vehicles of all stripes, and fuller of econoboxes.

Instead we redefine "need" to mean: lusting after a purchase that is clearly unnecessary, somewhat impractical, and basically unaffordable. Acquiring such an object often signals membership in a tribe, or at least an aspiration to join.

Of course Tesla recognized this years ago in the secret master plan.

How much CO2 can we remove? Global scale carbon sequestration is mandatory at this point, we have no options left since nations refuse to cut their emissions even when all of humanity is threatened with extinction.
It's not so much about using it on Earth. But Mars' atmosphere composition is 95% CO2 (Carbon Dioxide). If you can figure a way to turn that into energy effectively, you just solved the biggest problem of colonizing Mars.

IIRC, Canada has put its on carbon tax on Alberta Tae sands. But if they really wanted to retaliate while fighting climate change, perhaps they should put the tarrif on imported ICE vehicles instead of BEVs. This would be more painful to the Biden Administration while calling out hypocritical greenwashing.
If already answered please disregard:

Canada has a carbon tax levied at the ”pump” (home natural gas meter or gasoline filling pump).

IIRC, it was $30 per tonne of CO2.

Since we heat with NG and our total 2020 consumption amounted to the creation of 3.7 tonnes (not including production and distribution), there was an a extra ~$107 added to out NG bills over the 12 month period.

And since both our vehicles are electric, we didn’t have to pay any other (upfront) carbon tax.

In our situation, two adults living in a non metropolitan area (no public transit) equalled a carbon tax (refundable) tax credit of $495 for 2020.

So at $30/tonne, we had a carbon tax profit of ~$388.

I welcome the future $150/tonne carbon tax proposed for a few years from now…our profit from it should be over $1200/year.

It's not so much about using it on Earth. But Mars' atmosphere composition is 95% CO2 (Carbon Dioxide). If you can figure a way to turn that into energy effectively, you just solved the biggest problem of colonizing Mars.
One does not turn the CO2 into energy. We use energy to turn the CO2 into fuel. Which you could say is stored energy, but there is no gain. Solar or nuclear on mars is the only way.

One does not turn the CO2 into energy. We use energy to turn the CO2 into fuel. Which you could say is stored energy, but there is no gain. Solar or nuclear on mars is the only way.
Correct. And industrial-scale solar is tough. ~25% of insolation at earth's surface, with occasional crippling, months-long dust storms.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Ah — perhaps I can help? It's all about that word "need". In the sense of utilitarian necessity, "need" has little bearing on the market for new consumer vehicles in the USA. Otherwise the USA would be emptier of premium vehicles of all stripes, and fuller of econoboxes.

Instead we redefine "need" to mean: lusting after a purchase that is clearly unnecessary, somewhat impractical, and basically unaffordable. Acquiring such an object often signals membership in a tribe, or at least an aspiration to join.

We’ll it’s also a matter of driving a small car while being surrounded by giant lifted pickups and dying in an accident. And of course most of the drunk drivers in the US drive giant pickups.

To win the grand prize, teams must demonstrate a working solution at a scale of at least 1000 tonnes removed per year; model their costs at a scale of 1 million tonnes per year; and show a pathway to achieving a scale of gigatonnes per year in future, as validated by a third party.

Winning the prize is no walk in the park, but if a really good solution is found, it might have lots of uses.

I also wonder about transporting fuel from Earth to Mars, we would need to consider landings, weight and bulk, but that removes the need to get fuel production on Mars working Day 1,

Reactions: wtlloyd
Mod: This post got swept up; it it not of import here.

Tesla related: info for USA-only drivers on differences with both Autopilot in UK/Europe and UK roads.

Youtube video of 7 seater Model Y Standard Range (UK won't get these for a LONG time) in Los Angeles by prominent UK EV dealer & youtuber (his own channel, plus gets millions of views on CarWow channel as well).

Might be interesting for a number of reasons, especially comments on UK/USA differences on roads, signage, road width, autopilot settings/capability.

Teasers for future videos on Lucid, Rivian, Mercedes EQS, MachE and meeting "prominent Tesla YouTubers"

There have been a few comments in this thread on differences in various world markets, I think it's important for investors to understand different markets. I'm doing my bit by trying to understand USA "Truck" (Ute) market - not there yet, still bewildered, but learned a lot. I'm still left with the question of why does a granny need something the size of a small tank with an open bed (that someone can just nick stuff from) for grocery shopping?

Edit: just checked, all versions of F150 are longer than a small tank, smallest F150 is 5.3 metres
FV107 Scimitar
Length4.9 m
Width2.2 m
Height2.1 m

We’ll it’s also a matter of driving a small car while being surrounded by giant lifted pickups and dying in an accident. And of course most of the drunk drivers in the US drive giant pickups.
MODERATOR:

The debate about the utility of Utes/pickups is a never-ending one.

It also is one that is guaranteed quickly to devolve not only into a divisive one, but to bring out the worst of the Holier-Than-Thou tendencies of humans...as already shown via the above-cited posts.

It also is Off Topic.

It is not for this thread. Endit.

Lol no. It's been
Monday
Monday & Tuesday
Tuesday
Thursday
Thursday
Monday
trust the guy who has to fend off margin calls daily to keep track of this.
Ah, for some reason I was thinking Dec 9th was a Friday. In my defense, I've been traveling for a week so my days always mesh together when that happens. 🙃

Seems like Friday/Wed are the only days that haven't been scheduled so far.

Reactions: dl003