Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think China lockdown is more of a concern right now after Foxconn has shut down. Any stocks that deal with China are down today, with Chinese stocks down the most.

Chinese stocks have been getting a beating on top of that p because people are realizing that what’s happening to Russia could happen to China. China will be the biggest loser in a de globalization trend.

Elon should STFU really or he invites them to get poisoned at one of next 'events'
He's got no clue who he's fracking with

So you know more about this than Elon? The man who has studied world history, negotiated with the post-soviet era Russians for rockets and dealt with Russians on a regular basis since before he founded SpaceX two decades ago?

Sure, go ahead and give Elon advice about dealing with Russians. He won't spend a minute of his day listening to you (and he shouldn't).

It's not that I'm not concerned about Elon's well-being, it's that I trust that he knows more about it than you do.

That's a crazy risky lottery gamble IMHO. Too great a chance the market will crater till past expiration. I'm looking for when to buy January 2024 LEAPS, and even with 22 months, I worry about the same thing if I don't buy carefully.
It's simply risk/reward. You don't need a high likelihood of success when the return is 5x or more. I think there's a greater chance of TSLA crossing $1000 post-earnings than not.

This is my retirement fund, so conservative LEAP purchases will be the priority. but there's a place for near term calls when the opportunity is too good and price is cheap.

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeC and UncaNed
Chinese stocks have been getting a beating on top of that p because people are realizing that what’s happening to Russia could happen to China. China will be the biggest loser in a de globalization trend.
Nah, China is too integrated into the world's economy. The world is pretty okay with taking down a country that's the economy of Texas, but not the 2nd largest economy in the world. Slapping your own face a few times is tolerable, but taking down China is like stabbing yourself and twisting the knife.

Well, sold out of my leveraged shares with a bit of a loss and just holding core shares, tried to get more but failed so will just stick to my planned monthly additions bought with my own money for now.

OK, then. It looks like Wall Street won that one.

That's largely the purpose of this kind of drama and volatility, to get more people to buy high and sell low. Leverage is evil.

It's simply risk/reward. You don't need a high likelihood of success when the return is 5x or more. I think there's a greater chance of TSLA crossing $1000 post-earnings than not.

This is my retirement fund, so conservative LEAP purchases will be the priority. but there's a place for near term calls when the opportunity is too good and price is cheap.
Honestly, we’re still buying the post ER SP going up story? Heard that one Q4 and several times prior over the years. It’s a pretty narrative that nobody with WS power bothers to read. So, yeah. Wishful thinking.

Nah, China is too integrated into the world's economy. The world is pretty okay with taking down a country that's the economy of Texas, but not the 2nd largest economy in the world. Slapping your own face a few times is tolerable, but taking down China is like stabbing yourself and twisting the knife.
Trade is going to deglobalize. It has started and will continue to happen. The majority of global trade relies on the movement of oil. As oil use craters it will send shockwaves through the global trading systems. This is one of the most interesting things to watch going forward. Nearly free renewable will drive this. If 1% of Australia was dedicated to solar than the production would be such that refining any mineral stream from Australia would be unbeatable.

Free energy (nearly so) in the USA will be interesting. Once the oil and gas industry crater and contract what will happen to the costs of fuels? What will happen to shipping? Will costs skyrocket, crater and then rise ? Will production of fuel fall to such an extent that it becomes expensive and localized? Etc etc. Casey Handmeyer and others think that nearly free renewables will enable us to solve carbon sequestration and make $. It will also impact global trade.

Nitrogen fixation (via microbes) is one of the hottest topics in silicon valley, truly a useful ESG play. IF that works it will further crater trade and impact natural gas production values (N fertilizer relies on natural gas for feedstock in many places). All of which is to say I would not count on global trade being as active in 20 years as it is today. I feel old saying this. For Tesla investors I'd say no impact in very short term, likely none within the decade but in 2 decades I'd expect to see impacts and maybe very large.

Elon just tweeted something pretty darn material about the company's financial affairs. (material... no pun intended) TSLA has routinely been down 5% in a day over the last few weeks when there was no news. Very high volatility.
I nominate Elon for as an honorary member of the SEC. ;)
1647269692976.png

I assume everyone thinks this is him warning about a margin hit. But everyone already knows that materials are way up and that Tesla has more than enough demand to increase prices. So perhaps it's just Elon being his overly frank self.

It is funny in normal times, not during a war.

There was always a war, somewhere. 🙄

Elon is Elon and he has all the right to do whatever he wishes.

There’s nobody on this planet that has more right than him considering what he’s doing to keep the light of consciousness alive.

Come on now, we are derailing the thread….

I nominate Elon for as an honorary member of the SEC. ;)
View attachment 780698

I assume everyone thinks this is him warning about a margin hit. But everyone already knows that materials are way up and that Tesla has more than enough demand to increase prices. So perhaps it's just Elon being his overly frank self.
I'm thinking more along the line of correcting a newly formed public opinion that is negative toward corporations who seek to profit from the war. First Elon said lower oil prices hurt TSLA. Now Tesla is bearing the impact of high commodity price inflation. Seems pretty clear to me he's trying to make sure everybody knows his companies are not trying to price gouge their customers.

Last edited: