Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow!
🤯

It looks like bottling/canning tier productivity (like 99% automated)

I was surprised to still see the weaving coolant strip between the cells. I thought Tesla had planned to wick heat away from the top/bottom of the cells. Perhaps they decided that wasn't as efficient, or are leaving it for a future iteration.

I was surprised to still see the weaving coolant strip between the cells. I thought Tesla had planned to wick heat away from the top/bottom of the cells. Perhaps they decided that wasn't as efficient, or are leaving it for a future iteration.
The Berlin cutaway pack showed the side cooling ribbons as well.

I don't think Tesla ever said that, but a lot of YouTube "experts" have been stating it as fact for a long time now. (And Lucid says bottom cooling is better, but I assume Tesla knows what they are doing.)

LOVE how the structural pack is substantially thinner than current packs (obvious if you have ever worked on / taken apart a Tesla pack, perhaps not if you don't have this experience).

BTW, I'm 99.99% certain that is video from Austin production, given some of the backgrounds show the very VERY tall concrete beams that are unique to that facility. Kato Rd doesn't have nearly as high of ceilings.
Will take your word on it. I love everything about the 4680. Brilliant idea. Structural battery packs. Brilliant idea. Less manufacturing space. Brilliant. Faster assembly. Brilliant. Weight reduction. Brilliant. Better charging performance all around. Brilliant.

The only gotcha has been scaling this up and they are about a year behind where they'd hoped to be. That's not terribly bad. Just hope they continue to roll forward with scaling Kato. Then get Berlin producing the same. I think the German drivers will notice the difference as it should, to a discerning driver, be a better ride. It should make the Tesla lineup in Germany just that much superior to anything from VW group (one of my least fav companies in the world. Toyota, Exxon, VW, Valero, Chevron. Pent of evil).

Do you mean this process, shown at about 0:15 in the video?

Winding the Jelly Roll.Giga Texas.2022-04-07 | Tesla video

snapshot.winding the jelly roll.jpg

The white sheets in this snapshot aren't "coolant tubes", they are the separators between the cathode and anode, used while "rolling the jelly roll", which is later inserted into a 4680 cell.

Coolant tubes would need to be outside the cell, not wound into the jelly roll.
I watched the whole video at 0.25x speed, and I did not see any coolant tubes surrounding the cells at any point.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this was the last delay, their effort to try and cool from the end(s) only.

Elon on one of the quarterly calls said they were pretty much there on 4680, just trying to make it 100% safe. I don't think they ever got the end-cooling safe enough to satisfy him.

• Informative
Reactions: ZachF
Will take your word on it. I love everything about the 4680. Brilliant idea. Structural battery packs. Brilliant idea. Less manufacturing space. Brilliant. Faster assembly. Brilliant. Weight reduction. Brilliant. Better charging performance all around. Brilliant.

The only gotcha has been scaling this up and they are about a year behind where they'd hoped to be. That's not terribly bad. Just hope they continue to roll forward with scaling Kato. Then get Berlin producing the same. I think the German drivers will notice the difference as it should, to a discerning driver, be a better ride. It should make the Tesla lineup in Germany just that much superior to anything from VW group (one of my least fav companies in the world. Toyota, Exxon, VW, Valero, Chevron. Pent of evil).
on battery day 9/22/20 elon indicated 1 year to 18 months to start reaping benefits and three years for full benefits ... not sure where you are getting a year behind from ?

Elon Musk: (02:35:03)
I mean, 0.420%, of course. So what this enables us to do is achieve a new trajectory in the reduction of cell cost. And now to be clear, it will take us probably a year to 18 months to start realizing these advantages and to fully realize the advantages probably it’s about three years or thereabouts. So if we could do this instantly we would, but it just really bodes well for the future and means that the long-term scaling of Tesla and the sustainable energy products that we make will be massively increased. So, what tends to happen as companies get bigger is things tend to slow down, actually they’re going to speed up.

View attachment 791144

The white sheets in this snapshot aren't "coolant tubes", they are the separators between the cathode and anode, used while "rolling the jelly roll", which is later inserted into a 4680 cell.

I watched the whole video at 0.25x speed, and I did not see any coolant tubes surrounding the cells at any point.

Cheers!
Check 1:19 and see the cooling tube between the cells.

View attachment 791144

Cheers!

I'm not sure how you could have missed them:

1649375030218.png

Clearly shows coolant tubes between the cells.

Check 1:19 and see the cooling tube between the cells.
Yeah the wavy cooling plate? I imagine cooling rate is proportional to the contact surface area between the battery and the cooling tubes. A cylinder will have more circumference/side area than top and bottom discs? side area = Height * 2 * pi * radius. Bottom and top areas are both pi * radius squared. So if H > radius then side area is bigger.