Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All speculation but a good article:

That's the best thing I've read so far on the topic of Musk/Twitter. Ashlee Vance has a good understanding of Elon. The money quote: "Elon can issue a tweet that generates more press than Ford can buy in an entire year. So I think a lot of it comes down to that."

Here's a link that doesn't go through Apple News:
‘He Serves the Political Party of Elon Musk First and Foremost’

I think Elon can change that.
And yet Elon has never shown any special ability to deal with people problems. Any Tesla owner can tell you that the worst (often the only bad thing) about Tesla is its failure to communicate when things don't go right.

There are no first principles when it comes to people's behavior and emotions, and it's pretty obvious Elon doesn't think that keeping customers happy is important; he thinks that making awesome products is important and that should keep people happy. But when that doesn't work, too bad. You'll notice that Jon McNeill doesn't work at Tesla any more, and he's the only executive level guy I know of who made a real effort to deal with customer situations gone wrong.

You know what I didn’t do today? Sell tesla to buy teledoc. 🤦‍♂️

Tomorrow will be ugly.
And yet Elon has never shown any special ability to deal with people problems. Any Tesla owner can tell you that the worst (often the only bad thing) about Tesla is its failure to communicate when things don't go right.

There are no first principles when it comes to people's behavior and emotions, and it's pretty obvious Elon doesn't think that keeping customers happy is important; he thinks that making awesome products is important and that should keep people happy. But when that doesn't work, too bad. You'll notice that Jon McNeill doesn't work at Tesla any more, and he's the only executive level guy I know of who made a real effort to deal with customer situations gone wrong.
Spectrum.

Not to worry. He will step back once FSD and 4680s are ramped. Then a nice calm manager can go about the business of keeping the world’s most valuable company humming along.

Last edited:

But it say there are 5, and that he sold on both the 26th and 27th...

This Form 4 is the first of five Form 4s being filed by the Reporting Person relating to the same event. The Form 4 has been split into five filings to cover all 138 individual transactions that occurred on two consecutive Transaction Dates, because the SEC's EDGAR filing system limits a single Form 4 to a maximum of 30 separate transactions. Each Form 4 will be filed by the Reporting Person.

Apparently a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush according to Elon. Interesting days ahead.

I agree interesting times with the TWTR chaos and selling of TSLA shares to fund it.

That said, Elon selling shares doesn't change a single penny of TSLA's profitability - it's still printing money like a machine.

~3.1 million shares according to the two forms so far.
3 more forms to come. Since he sold on Tuesday, you can bet that this morning was also him selling.
But it say there are 5, and that he sold on both the 26th and 27th...
Says it covers 26th/27th. I would put money on him selling in the opening hours of trading today as well.

Bright side is maybe the market will view this favorably. He got all of his selling out of the way in the matter of a week. Awful timing though on Elon's part.

Edit: And there it is, his selling is done. Maybe we rebound now

This is the correct interpretation. However, the market in the near term may be hysterical.
Elon openly stating on twitter just now that he's done selling takes away a huge amount of hysteria around the twitter thing. It's probably going to be viewed very well by Wall St.

But ya know.....it's Wall St lol

I think you should reconsider Elon's ability in terms of the politics of people given his outsized success at quickly becoming a favorite contractor at NASA because that's a good ol' boy club of large cap defense and space contractors who are loath to let small outsiders in. The fact that such a small upstart could play so effectively in such a public/private closed-door political mess shows skills that go far beyond the technical.

As to the supposed Tesla "service problem", I would suggest to you that the current state of affairs shows beyond reasonable doubt that Elon focused like a laser on the things that actually mattered most to their success. This laser-like focus is evidenced by waiting lists that are longer than anyone, top of the charts consumer satisfaction ratings, and financials and profit margins that put established legacy automakers to shame.

I don't know Jon McNeill but I would suggest it's for the better that he is no longer with Tesla. If it's for the worse, you would never know it by looking at demand for Tesla products or the consumer satisfaction ratings that beat ANY car out there. Elon understands people better than you think or his customers would not be the happiest in the industry.

I get so tired of hearing of Tesla's supposed service problems. I've had more service problems at Ford, Mazda, Volvo and Les Schwab Tires than any minor issues experienced at a Tesla Service Center. I actually prefer Tesla Service for tires and such over the industry leader in my corner of the world, Les Schwab. This isn't a service thread so I suggest you take it to the appropriate thread but my point is, I think you would have to distort the facts pretty hard to make a convincing case that Elon doesn't know how to navigate people. You don't get to where he is on technical excellence alone.