Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow....seems a little disheartening watching $TSLA go down 7+% from what it seems like on a daily basis. That being said...i have some couches to shake...be right back.
Couch is getting real dry at this point but I managed another 5 chairs, nice at 744. lol it's like bittersweet symphony.

Haha, man I'm really curious to as to how low they're going to let TSLA's TTM P/E go.............I'm getting myself positioned to buy more shares on margin.

Though I'm done with buying more options/LEAPS. Simply can't trust Elon to not do something that makes owning options 10X more stressful than owning stock, even stock on margin. 🥴
I would not be surprised to see 400 before this is all over. Not saying we will. But... if SPY drops another 20% can't see the NAZ not following suit with another 30% and TSLA does have a higher BETA. Blah.

”In the last 19 bear markets, the average peak to trough decline has been 37% with an average duration of 289 days. If history were to repeat then today’s bear market ends in October 2022 with the S&P at 3000”

I would not be surprised to see 400 before this is all over. Not saying we will. But... if SPY drops another 20% can't see the NAZ not following suit with another 30% and TSLA does have a higher BETA. Blah.
Sorry I know you're not fear mongering, but that's fear mongering lol. Nasdaq isn't dropping another 30%, period. It's only 18% above back where it was in Feb 2020. Wiping out all of the gains from the pandemic. But wait.....tech earnings have materially gone up quite a bit from Feb 2020. So the Nasdaq would actually much much cheaper than it was back in Feb 2020.

Same dynamic with S&P. It's like 17% above it's Feb 2020 higher. But earnings has gone up way more than 17% over the past 2 years. So the S&P would be much much cheaper on a fundamental basis.

For the S&P and the Nasdaq to go down to those levels you're mentioning, it would mean the S&P's P/E ratios would be just as low, if not lower than the P/E it had during the financial crisis......one of the worst crisis and recessions( really depression) in history.

As for TSLA specific, I can definitely see the 600's. Possibly 500's. The China covid lockdowns (and Elon's twitter mess) really happened at the absolute worst time for the stock. The stock is been weak against the macro's day after day now, regularly down 3-4X it's BETA and not even up 2X it's beta on the up days. It's trading about as weak as it gets right now. And what's worse is that there's zero positive catalyst coming up and plenty of FUD material until we get Q2 P/D numbers. Everyone better buckle up unfortunately

”In the last 19 bear markets, the average peak to trough decline has been 37% with an average duration of 289 days. If history were to repeat then today’s bear market ends in October 2022 with the S&P at 3000”

Nasdaq is now down 29% from it's peak, it's not far off from that 37% peak to trough decline.

The S&P is 18% but.........most of that is has been the fact that Apple/Microsoft are only down 19% and 22%. So both of those companies would have to roll over for the S&P to even get to a 30% drop.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily pouch cells but the fact that they don't have a failsafe, they've no way to combat thermal runaway. This is something Tesla figured out way back in 2006 which has been heavily documented. It just shows how not seriously legacies are taking battery tech, just farm it out like everything else lol.
I agree they don't have good failsafes for thermal runaway, but the pouch cell technology is a root problem. They are simply more prone to this issue.

Panasonic: “We seeing continued strong demand from Tesla, for 2170 batteries, but also for faster development of the 4680.”

At today's 11402 bottom, we we're ~100 points of the 200 week EMA for the Nasdaq. That has only been crossed once since 2012. That was during the pandemic drop and it only happened for one week. 2010 and 2011 each had 1 week below that time both fairly early out of the great recession. So we may have a little bit more to go, but odds are high that this was the bottom or the bottom will be slightly below 11300.

Now saying that, if we are in the midst of a 00/08 situation... none of that matters. I personally don't think we are, but I've been wrong many, many times before.

Sorry I know you're not fear mongering, but that's fear mongering lol. Nasdaq isn't dropping another 30%, period. It's only 18% above back where it was in Feb 2020. Wiping out all of the gains from the pandemic. But wait.....tech earnings have materially gone up quite a bit from Feb 2020. So the Nasdaq would actually much much cheaper than it was back in Feb 2020.

Same dynamic with S&P. It's like 17% above it's Feb 2020 higher. But earnings has gone up way more than 17% over the past 2 years. So the S&P would be much much cheaper on a fundamental basis.

For the S&P and the Nasdaq to go down to those levels you're mentioning, it would mean the S&P's P/E ratios would be just as low, if not lower than the P/E it had during the financial crisis......one of the worst crisis and recessions( really depression) in history.

As for TSLA specific, I can definitely see the 600's. Possibly 500's. The China covid lockdowns (and Elon's twitter mess) really happened at the absolute worst time for the stock. The stock is been weak against the macro's day after day now, regularly down 3-4X it's BETA and not even up 2X it's beta on the up days. It's trading about as weak as it gets right now. And what's worse is that there's zero positive catalyst coming up and plenty of FUD material until we get Q2 P/D numbers. Everyone better buckle up unfortunately

Nasdaq is now down 29% from it's peak, it's not far off from that 37% peak to trough decline.

The S&P is 18% but.........most of that is has been the fact that Apple/Microsoft are only down 19% and 22%. So both of those companies would have to roll over for the S&P to even get to a 30% drop.

Devil's advocate: if market participants are forward looking and therefore worried that a recession will decrease company earnings in upcoming quarters, could we not expect to see P/Es compress even more, despite what earnings have done over the past two years? (This is not in reference to TSLA, but the market / tech as a whole.)