Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually far worse than that. Lolora Kolodny mixes the two emails together to create the narrative that Tesla is cutting 10% of employees and "will instead rely on more hourly workers".

She's trying to paint a picture of Tesla having to lay off people and bring in part timers to do their jobs. One of the worst I've seen from her.
So basically all cars are sold with gradual increase in price, only higher trim cars are being sold, quarter over quarter increasing margins and alleged decreasing labor cost, and potential for Optimus robot coming soon. This would take over menial tasks in the factory, saving labor and Workers insurance as well as increasing speed. Sounds like a interesting plan to make more profit but then again the market does not want that.

So I'm seeing this 10% as:

120k employees
maybe 24k salaried
10k of those being people who "make cars"
14k * .10 = 1,400 firings

This basically being the justification for firing the people who didn't like the back-to-work memo.
That's about my guess of where this lands.
About an order of magnitude lower than CNBC is implying, so par for the coarse.

Yep, then total headcount will be at ATH about 2-3 months later.

Have to wonder what the fires, bad press, and recalls did to your resale value…

The GM Bolt's loss of resale value is probably almost as steep as the loss of resale value on our Tesla's caused by all the Tesla fires, recalls, Autopilot crashes, shoddy manufacturing, lack of service, elimination of public relations, and wild un-vetted statements you get when you have a corrupt, lying loose cannon of a CEO! 🤪

...errr, wait.... :oops:

Almost everyone seems to be ignoring the 'coincidence'. Companies all over the world are dealing with this issue. As usual, Elon gets to the point. Go to work!
Agreed. Also this hourly vs salaried clarification seems to have been in our face all along…his statements about how WFH is over. Factory, hourly, workers generally don’t have the option to WFH, typically that's salaried desk jobs. So, this issue Elon has with the workforce is not with the hourly factory workers who never had the option to "phone it in", who are still ramping production and explains why they are still hiring those positions....Bullish IMO.

120k employees
maybe 24k salaried

This basically being the justification for firing the people who didn't like the back-to-work memo.
Yeah, without knowing how many people are affected here it's hard to say what this looks like.

I suspect most of service is unaffected too since they would be hourly. Hopefully that is growing as well.

Notably, GM & Ford I believe both did factory floor lay-offs in the past year.

120k employees
maybe 24k salaried

I'd say 24k salaried is a little low, but estimates of 60k are probably high. I'm expecting 3-5k firings from this... that is a shot in the dark number though.

I've to wonder ....

We know this is going to be not a great quarter because of lower production. Is Elon not liking where the "fixed" cost of salaried people is at ?
The salaried cost is already baked in for this quarter.

Something set Elon off on thinking management has become to bloated. Too many people working from home, likely some projects behind schedule.

I don't think it has anything do with a coming recession other than Elon likes to keep the company lean and mean and what better time than if there could be a recession.

Nope, those people have lived in "wildfire" areas for decades, and this problem has only gotten worse for 2 main reasons:
1) Climate change (it's hotter and drier here)
2) less maintenance to keep trees, etc. cut back - PG&E was taken to court on this one, lost, and declared bankruptcy to protect themselves against the judgement

#1 is a bigger problem to deal with, but #2 if done properly would mitigate a TON of the wildfire risk here.

TX grid - they were just cheap and didn't want to weatherize the grid against sub-zero temps. The temps 2 years ago were the lowest recorded, for the longest period of time, in over 100 years in that state. Not defending them, but that's really hard to protect yourself against.
It didn't help that the Texas Legislators declared battery storage to be electrical production which eliminated companies such as OnCor from deploying battery storage to even out power surpluses and deficits. Had they not done this, most of the problem two years ago would have been non-existent because battery storage would have carried Texas over in many cases. OnCor did have a plan to purchase Tesla batteries, but as soon as the Legislators found out about it, they declared battery storage as energy production stopping the sale.

The salaried cost is already baked in for this quarter.

Something set Elon off on thinking management has become to bloated. Too many people working from home, likely some projects behind schedule.

I don't think it has anything do with a coming recession other than Elon likes to keep the company lean and mean and what better time than if there could be a recession.

I think this is the main thing causing this. The WFH crowd wouldn't be getting targeted if things were going according to schedule.

So basically, salary workers keep their jobs if they work sufficiently>40hours/week, and the low performers get fired.
This is exactly the reason why I became a independent contractor many years ago: Companies taking advantage of people‘s willingness to work more/harder than agreed upon by their contract. In the USA, at least you may get stock options in return for that kind of behaviour, in Europe you get a nothing but a burnout.
Good luck on that with U.S. large companies. Manager = either no overtime, or overtime only if approved (once in two years, so they can say that management employees actually get overtime).

I've to wonder ....

We know this is going to be not a great quarter because of lower production. Is Elon not liking where the "fixed" cost of salaried people is at ?
I don't think so. This to me smells like Elon got a LOT of pushback on the back-to-work memo and decided to rain hellfire on the office workers.

Fine with me, very old school. Costs on the production side are fine, and even cost of this staff being fired is "fine". He's just chopping them in order to replace with more compliant workers. That's what genius folks with vision and a lack of empathy do.

It's not about cost. Just like the Twitter pause isn't about bots. The hedgies tried to attack Elon/TSLA/TWTR when he was a bit vulnerable, so he made up a perfectly plausible excuse and bought time.

Elon is going to do what he wants, within the bounds of the physical and financial universe.

And oh yeah.....CNBC "just now" "updated" their headline at 1pm Eastern to something that is still clearly false. Must be nice to lie without repercussion every day.

1654276165920.png

It's incredibly poor judgement to say, "Good luck with the trip to the moon", when the moon mission involves American taxpayer dollars and real American astronauts with real families at home! It's actually despicable beyond words and un-American. And it's unclear what he thinks a moon trip has to do with how Elon thinks the economy looks.

If recent events can cause me to no longer self-identify as a democrat, and I no longer do, something tells me it's the democrats that have imploded, not the republicans! This is exactly opposite what I expected after the last administration, I am not happy to report this. And Elon has firmly positioned himself as a political force to be reckoned with.

Please don't use this comment to launch into political debate, I'm just making an observation that I think has a lot of relevance to Elon and his companies going forward. I am not asking whether you think my changing political identity is justified or wise, it's just a data point that I think must apply to many other life-long democrats who are similar to me.

Last edited:
Right . . . Trump just didn't get in the WAY of Elon. There's a difference. He let Tesla do Tesla, and nothing more.

Biden has STOKED the unions against Tesla, refused to mention Tesla until directly confronted on it, and FLAT OUT LIED about the leader of the EV industry ("Mary, you led.").

EV awareness in general has been increasing, I'm not giving Biden "points" for that one. That trend has been ongoing since the Obama administration, Biden doesn't get points for "the trend".
Trump slowed the transition to EVs and clean energy. You have to have your head in the sand if you dont realize that. You know what Elon says is the key mission. Trump still freaking attacks wind energy and solar. Of course EV awareness has increased, how much more would it have increased had Trump not gone against green energy movement. Trump did it to rally his base against Climate Change and because he doesnt like windmills altering view from his golf club in Scotland. Biden gave Ford and GM pats on the back to soothe nerves of workers in rust belt states that if they lose jobs the Climate Change deniers take over for a long time. Patting Texas and California Tesla on the back does the opposite of soothing those nerves. Yet when it came to cold hard cash Tesla is who has benefitted over $300M in additional regulatory credit sales in 1 quarter alone.