Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I am reading things differently, but I read the permit as they are asking to build out WITHIN the existing GigaFactory General Assembly 2 and 3. Not a new, separate building.

My gut tells me this is for the CyberTruk, and lines up time-wise perfectly with mid-2023 production.

I think Fred is very wrong in his interpretation.
There are Phase 2 areas in the main building, but this permit calls out 500,000 square feet of new construction and a new outside utility line.
SmartSelect_20220703-104943_Firefox.jpg

First the Austin Y is not a SR. (It is the AWD with more range, premium interior, and dual motors.) Second, it isn't on menu, as you can't order one. (If you have an order for a LR you might get offered an Austin AWD model.)

3 more people have upvoted this post this morning. Mods in the past have said we should document acronyms ("TLA" three letter acronyms are bad, right?).

AWD = All Wheel Drive
LR = Long Range
SR = Short Range

I'm sorry for the confusion I caused, Let me try this again.

I see the MY lineup over time as

* MY Performance
* MY LR AWD (with 2170 cells made in Fremont or Austin)
* MY SR AWD (with 4680 cells made in Austin in 2022)
* MY SR RWD (with 2170 cells car assembled in Fremont but only sold for a short time in 2021)

You can't really call the 4680 Austin MY a LR MY because it has less range than the 2170 MY LR.

You can't just call it MY SR without confusion because there was an older MY SR that had less range and was RWD.

So I'm saying Model Y SR AWD is about as short as I can say it and avoid confusion. I'd like to just call it MY SR but that is already taken in so many minds and isn't the current car being produced in Austin.

We should get on the same page on this because I expect that TSLA will be pumping out as many of these from Austin as they can going forward.

Last edited:
As much as I love my 22 M3, I’d consider Austin SR MY w 4680 when they order page is available. I love driving my wife’s LR MY. If tesla does SR AWD MY and allows
For range upgrade/unlock via software for 2-3k later on, I would probably pay for it. Tesla Would have to incentivize people paying LR 2170 full price first though.

Could be blending mechanical brakes with regen when full.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe they’re rolling this out early.

F6D95F1B-626D-42B1-AE09-EED2FE7D88DF.jpeg

Not everything is about Elon/ Tesla (nor did she claim in that Tweet that it was):
Johnna's news was leaving her CleanTechnica and joining Teslarati as a senior writer.

This one cracked me up. She never implied she had some big inside scoop.

As for Bill Wrights comment… clearly he’s talking about the Cybertruck.

Because everything comes back to the Cybertruck. Even if it is 4680 news… it’s Cybertruck news ;)

Could be blending mechanical brakes with regen when full.

This is supposed to be selectable in software so you would think they would try both ways or clearly indicate the blending was turned off. If it does not have the latest software at least indicate they actually saw regen with the green power bar.

Also, only going 3 miles with zero miles does not impress me. I always understood the cars have a 3Kwh buffer which should be good for 10-12 miles at least.

Like the person posting states...more questions than answers. He could have answered some of them!

Last edited:
This is supposed to be selectable in software so you would think they would try both ways or clearly indicate the blending was turned off. If it does not have the latest software at least indicate they actually saw regen with the green power bar.

Also, only going 3 miles with a zero charge does not impress me. I always understood the cars have a 3Kwh buffer which should be good for 10-12 miles at least.

Like the person posting states...more questions than answers. He could have answered some of them!

The car didn’t stop 3 miles after zero, it still had full accelleration at that point. They didn’t run it down to full stop.

Most cars start to lose power when they get near the bottom of the cell. Still having full accelleration implies there is a significant buffer left, likely would have gone your 10-12 miles or more.

3 more people have upvoted this post this morning. Mods in the past have said we should document acronyms ("TLA" three letter acronyms are bad, right?).

AWD = All Wheel Drive
LR = Long Range
SR = Short Range

I'm sorry for the confusion I caused, Let me try this again.

I see the MY lineup over time as

* MY Performance
* MY LR AWD (with 2170 cells made in Fremont or Austin)
* MY SR AWD (with 4680 cells made in Austin in 2022)
* MY SR RWD (with 2170 cells car assembled in Fremont but only sold for a short time in 2021)

You can't really call the 4680 Austin MY a LR MY because it has less range than the 2170 MY LR.

You can't just call it MY SR without confusion because there was an older MY SR that had less range and was RWD.

So I'm saying Model Y SR AWD is about as short as I can say it and avoid confusion. I'd like to just call it MY SR but that is already taken in so many minds and isn't the current car being produced in Austin.

We should get on the same page on this because I expect that TSLA will be pumping out as many of these from Austin as they can going forward.
SR = "Standard Range" There is nothing "short" about Tesla.

The car didn’t stop 3 miles after zero, it still had full accelleration at that point. They didn’t run it down to full stop.

Most cars start to lose power when they get near the bottom of the cell. Still having full accelleration implies there is a significant buffer left, likely would have gone your 10-12 miles or more.
Yes, poor wording on my part. I realize the car did not stop. It would have been nice if they kept going...

Anyway, I am sure one of the expert you tubers will get a car soon and get more definite results.

Reactions: Ogre
More FUD about recalls where the author stands on their soapbox to say a bunch of nonsense about Q2.

The article could say that eCall was recently introduced and Tesla has the ability to know instantaneouly through the cars internet connection that the vehicle has been in an accident *AND* this software glitch is easily fixed OTA (and might already be fixed) *AND* Tesla had it's highest production month ever in June.

I've seen this picked up by at least 10 other sites and all citing one Reuters article from Ludwig Burger, Editing by Louise Heavens.

"German road traffic agency says 59,000 Tesla vehicles have software glitch"

Some rough guesstimates for future production rates:
View attachment 822664

After this (2024) I expect new factories to be coming online… east coast, 2nd European, Indonesia, and maybe Brazil.

Shouldn't Berlin in theory ramp up as fast or faster than Austin in 2023 as Austin will also have to split their focus on new products like the cyber, semi and roadster? Or are all the other advantages of Austin overshadowing this potential slowdown? Or won't the production of the newer models cause a slowdown of the 3/Y ramp up at all?

With interest rates on the rise, there is/will be a substantial pull back in housing prices. TD Bank is predicting an average 19% price drop in housing across Canada from peak-to-trough (CTV News article attached). The housing market here has just turned negative and we are about 5% decline from peak so far, so still a ways to go. In my opinion, investors seeking to maximize returns wil now favour stocks that have been downtrodden, that had been previously been overweight in property assets. The pool of money is the same, it may simply go from one asset class (real estate) to another (stocks). Likely this is happening everywhere. This should favour the stock market and proven companies like Tesla especially.

Still need to see a substantial pullback in start-up EV companies and the likes of the big OEM companies. Only the smart money is flowing into Tesla.

Interesting for Canada in that the 2008 Worldwide recession did not cause a drop in Canada's real estate prices, only a lull. You have to go all the way back to the fall of 1989 in Canada to have a real estate crash. Totally different economy and world situation back then including 20% interest rates.

Read in CTV News: TD 'significantly' downgrades home sale, price forecasts — CTV News

Interesting. The "street" seems to often ignore reality. They zig instead of zag. They push FUD nonstop. Yet I'm supposed to believe they are "laser focused" on anything based in reality with Tesla? Maybe they are hoping June might have shown a hint of their FUD so they can proclaim it from the mountain tops? Pass. No, I'm not grumpy at all... ;)

Also, only going 3 miles with zero miles does not impress me. I always understood the cars have a 3Kwh buffer which should be good for 10-12 miles at least.

My understanding (which might be wrong, but it's what I recall from when there was the case with the Roadster owner) is that the battery buffer is to protect the battery when leaving the car unplugged for so long the battery totally flattens and can't be charged.

Interesting. The "street" seems to often ignore reality. They zig instead of zag. They push FUD nonstop. Yet I'm supposed to believe they are "laser focused" on anything based in reality with Tesla? Maybe they are hoping June might have shown a hint of their FUD so they can proclaim it from the mountain tops? Pass. No, I'm not grumpy at all... ;)
I focus on the author of articles and not the domain. Domains are hit and miss with much more dynamic range and dips into the FUD.

IMHO, authors only get two chances dipping into FUD and then they've crossed the line to clickbait paid by bad actors.

During the pre-fireworks of last night's dog walk James told me he was wrong about all of us owning Islands when the Sanitation truck has a big "T" on it and does the route including curbside disposal.
He now believes that Waste Management will go back to the old way where a crew of five did the job. Remember 40 yrs a go, where the trash men jumped off the truck came up to your side yard, took your trash cans and emptied them, and then returned them to the side of the house.

And he will get to do what his clan did back in the 20th century, to bark at the trespassing Optimus Prime Garbage men.
(redundant, dangerous, degrading job)

There seems to be considerable pullback occurring in the realm of OT posts and Bickering.
Bickering, in particular, has been painted as being crucial for initiation of the rising SP phenomenon, sometimes abbreviated as B.A.F. among those who run with the cool kids.

This is a holiday weekend folks, time to step it up! :rolleyes:

/S

Just to be clear and concise, this is NOT in any way, shape, or form to be considered a call for poetry.

i just spent 40 minutes on the comment section there and I must say, very civilized … no shouting, just factual conversation. is user „rocwurstt“ one of us? Big heads up to him/her , doing a great job with comparisons … great read
That comment section is real gold. Ton of useful numbers and stats comparing different modes of transport in different cities across the word. I am still not convinced of the tunnel transport, but atleast it made me think deeply.