Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a hard time seeing tesla growing their deliveries by 50% in 2024. I doubt they'll manage to do so in 2025 or 2026 either unless three new factories are announced very soon.
0.6M vehicles sold from Texas and Germany each in ‘24 is much too low. That basically implies disaster happened and they were a step backwards from Shanghai.

Back in October ‘21 Elon said Berlin would hopefully be at a 0.5M annualized run rate by the end of ‘22, and should at least be at half that rate.

For comparison, Giga Shanghai started on Nov ‘19 and within less than two years reached a 0.6M annualized production rate in Sep ‘21. If Berlin and Austin just match that ramp rate they’ll be at 0.6M rate by around winter ‘23. Thus far they’ve ramped more slowly than Shanghai did but everything is still limited by chips and other supply shortages.

If Berlin and Austin produce 1M each in ‘24 which would be in line with Shanghai ramp rate, then the total projection becomes 4M, which is more than 60% annual growth between ‘21 and ‘24. I think that’s still relatively conservative because Berlin and Austin are newer, bigger factories with better designs than ‘19-‘21 era Shanghai and have all the manufacturing advantages of 4680s and the structural battery pack. Berlin and Austin are also making Ys which are easier to manufacture than 3s that Shanghai initially built.

1.375M for Shanghai in ‘24 is pretty low too. That’s only 60% more than they were at in June when they made 71k cars (0.85M annualized). Given two more years to optimize and expand, Shanghai will probably double production at least.

0.6M vehicles sold from Texas and Germany each in ‘24 is much too low. That basically implies disaster happened and they were a step backwards from Shanghai.

Back in October ‘21 Elon said Berlin would hopefully be at a 0.5M annualized run rate by the end of ‘22, and should at least be at half that rate.

For comparison, Giga Shanghai started on Nov ‘19 and within less than two years reached a 0.6M annualized production rate in Sep ‘21. If Berlin and Austin just match that ramp rate they’ll be at 0.6M rate by around winter ‘23. Thus far they’ve ramped more slowly than Shanghai did but everything is still limited by chips and other supply shortages.

If Berlin and Austin produce 1M each in ‘24 which would be in line with Shanghai ramp rate, then the total projection becomes 4M, which is more than 60% annual growth between ‘21 and ‘24. I think that’s still relatively conservative because Berlin and Austin are newer, bigger factories with better designs than ‘19-‘21 era Shanghai and have all the manufacturing advantages of 4680s and the structural battery pack. Berlin and Austin are also making Ys which are easier to manufacture than 3s that Shanghai initially built.

1.375M for Shanghai in ‘24 is pretty low too. That’s only 60% more than they were at in June when they made 71k cars (0.85M annualized). Given two more years to optimize and expand, Shanghai will probably double production at least.

For berlin and Austin to hit 1M production in 2024 they would have to increase production by more than 500K from 2023 (and that's also when bumping 2023 deliveries up to 475K on each of the factories). A scenario like that would look like this:
1658269038105.png

Don't get me wrong though - I'm 100% hoping for that scenario to play out! 😁

I’m already hesitant about providing my info to them in the first place and I’m definitely not okay with giving constant, daily access to my account.
IMO the terms and conditions of the “Plaid” tool are horrific. Why would I -ever- give such personal information access?

I like convenience but not at that risk. YMMV

For berlin and Austin to hit 1M production in 2024 they would have to increase production by more than 500K from 2023 (and that's also when bumping 2023 deliveries up to 475K on each of the factories). A scenario like that would look like this:
View attachment 830364

Don't get me wrong though - I'm 100% hoping for that scenario to play out! 😁
The first 12-month period in which Shanghai produced ~500k cars was from Jan ‘21 thru Dec ‘21. This was roughly their second year of production, roughly corresponding to Jul ‘23 thru Jun ‘24 for B&A’s timeline.

Over 2021, Shanghai’s production rate grew a staggering 2.69x from 25k in Jan to 67k in Dec, leaving them with a 0.8M annualized run rate at the end. If B&A followed the same timeline, they’d hit that 0.8M rate by Apr ‘24 while still growing at a healthy pace, which puts overall ‘24 production at around 1M for each factory.

That’s still assuming B&A don’t ramp substantially faster than Shanghai did, so it’s conservative if anything.

Slow clap for legacy auto when they can only extrapolate 125b of net income from that 2.5T tam. Apple makes about the same net income as the entire auto industry. Maybe that's why APpl's marketcap is the same as the TAM of auto at 2.44T.

If Tesla can show car companies the way to get 25% operating margins out of their revenue, then the total net income will be 625B from that 2.5T tam. Just look at all the trillion dollar companies auto TAM can create...but reality doesn't meet expectations.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time seeing tesla growing their deliveries by 50% in 2024. I doubt they'll manage to do so in 2025 or 2026 either unless three new factories are announced very soon. Giga Texas should in theory be slowed down a bit in 2023 by introducing 2 or 3 new models (semi might be postponed to 2024). 2023 should be an insane year though unless we have more shutdowns in china or battery shortage becomes a greater challenge.
View attachment 830317
Anyone who tries to model 50% annual compound growth always ends up with more questions than answers, low confidence in their own roadmap, and a realisation of how hard it is to achieve.

In the past I was foolish enough to have a crack at it here:- Gigafactory locations and products

IMO the terms and conditions of the “Plaid” tool are horrific. Why would I -ever- give such personal information access?

I like convenience but not at that risk. YMMV

To be honest, I trust Tesla better than I trust my Bank... Neither are great, but there is no large bank that doesn't want to actively screw it's customers. Tesla can be indifferent to customer concerns in the name of efficiency, but I don't think they actually want to screw me on purpose.

Reactions: mannix
The first 12-month period in which Shanghai produced ~500k cars was from Jan ‘21 thru Dec ‘21. This was roughly their second year of production, roughly corresponding to Jul ‘23 thru Jun ‘24 for B&A’s timeline.

Over 2021, Shanghai’s production rate grew a staggering 2.69x from 25k in Jan to 67k in Dec, leaving them with a 0.8M annualized run rate at the end. If B&A followed the same timeline, they’d hit that 0.8M rate by Apr ‘24 while still growing at a healthy pace, which puts overall ‘24 production at around 1M for each factory.

That’s still assuming B&A don’t ramp substantially faster than Shanghai did, so it’s conservative if anything.
Tesla has expanded Shanghai footprint to accommodate all the extra unit growth (Shanghai factory is far larger today than it was when the first model 3 rolled out). Is there any sign that Berlin is preparing to imminently build another similar size structure to accommodate a doubling of capacity by mid-2024?

Tesla has expanded Shanghai footprint to accommodate all the extra unit growth (Shanghai factory is far larger today than it was when the first model 3 rolled out). Is there any sign that Berlin is preparing to imminently build another similar size structure to accommodate a doubling of capacity by mid-2024?