Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compounding percentages don't really work that way. Each incremental percentage drop is smaller than the previous.
I believe if Tesla doubles, the ETF actually goes to zero so the drops and gains in % are 1:1. But yes, the amounts of money loss in ETF is getting smaller and smaller every time Tesla goes up, and the money in gains in TSLA stock gets bigger and bigger as Tesla goes up.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drax7

Colin Langan:
"Cybertruck can't be a work truck"
"Why?"
"Can't get tools from the side. #1 use of a truck." *heads back to the Hamptons to live a life of never actually using a truck ever

The only real thing you can't do is use a gooseneck/fifth-wheel but considering you will get about 80 miles of range with the Lightning while towing, it can't either.

So the F-150 Lightning weighs 6,590 pounds using nickel batteries and Ford is changing that to iron....is their goal to weigh as much as the Hummer OR are they trying to make sure it wins in the tug-of-war against the CT?

In case you missed it, IIRC the heavier the vehicle, the greater the available tire friction and, thus, the likely winner of a tug-of-war regardless of torque and horsepower.
Desperate to make a profit.

So the F-150 Lightning weighs 6,590 pounds using nickel batteries and Ford is changing that to iron....is their goal to weigh as much as the Hummer OR are they trying to make sure it wins in the tug-of-war against the CT?

In case you missed it, IIRC the heavier the vehicle, the greater the available tire friction and, thus, the likely winner of a tug-of-war regardless of torque and horsepower.
The current Lightning is a stop-gap vehicle based on the gas F-150 they decided to sell until they have a new one designed from the start as an EV, to be on the market about 2025. Their plan might be to use LFP in the new one.

"Cybertruck can't be a work truck"
"Why?"
"Can't get tools from the side. #1 use of a truck." *heads back to the Hamptons to live a life of never actually using a truck ever

The only real thing you can't do is use a gooseneck/fifth-wheel but considering you will get about 80 miles of range with the Lightning while towing, it can't either.

Desperate to make a profit.

initial market entrants, inferior product, will capture some dumb money, necessary small victory for some (rivian), learning experience for others (ford), total farce/giant money laundering scheme for rest (GM)

mary and jim: “elon, why don’t we run down there and #+%* one of those sheep”

elon: “why don’t we walk down there and #+%* them all”

The current Lightning is a stop-gap vehicle based on the gas F-150 they decided to sell until they have a new one designed from the start as an EV, to be on the market about 2025. Their plan might be to use LFP in the new one.
If there is a market for an LFP Pickup, Tesla can easily make a CT with LFP cells, possibly with 4680 LFP cells in a structural pack.

But there is a hit to range, especially when hauling or towing, or on off-road trips which may include locations far from a charger.

The limitation may not so much be using the truck around local jobsites, and taking the truck on a long distance trip, an off-road trip, or a trip towing a caravan or boat.

I imagine most truck owners would want to be able to use it for business and pleasure, with versatility and range being desirable attributes.

However, there are probably some fleet applications where LFP and limited range is no problem, so more choice is always better.

Last edited:
"The order, for a special kind of glass, was flagged to Tesla’s finance and internal audit groups earlier this year, the people said. Investigators are trying to determine whether the glass was for Tesla Chief Executive Officer Musk’s personal use, people with knowledge of the matter said”

Bloomberg link: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

What? What personal use would special glass be for???

I’d be leery about putting any faith in what Scoble has to say about anything. He was one of the biggest Glassholes:

View attachment 831281
I found his comments on the simulator interesting. Not quite a "hollodeck" but opens up a whole new area to innovation.(Movies without actors etc.) He also makes me wonder what a bot will cost to produce. 3D printers pumping out inexpensive bots with incredible capabilities seem to be inevitable over time. As I've stated before, I'm here for what Tesla will become more than what they are. Can't wait for AI day deux.

If there is a market for an LFP Pickup, Tesla can easily make a CT with LFP cells, probably 4680 LFP cells in a structural pack.
No, Tesla has pretty much said they aren't going to make LFP 4680s. They get, I believe, prismatic LFP cells from CATL and/or BYD. (I think they both make structural packs out of them.)

And they already use them in the SR/RWD vehicles that Tesla is making.

What? What personal use would special glass be for???
Pictured, a special kind of glass.
1658457943242.png

LFP makes no sense in a truck or any kind of heavy duty vehicle, especially vehicles that are already stupid heavy. As Tesla has demonstrated LFP is for stationary storage and low range vehicles. It works for the Model 3 because its already a silly light car and with Teslas efficiency it balances out. With a platform with poor efficiency, its lose lose and more lose. It reads like Ford drew the short stick on batteries and is just copying w/o the knowing part.

Ford to buy cheaper CATL EV batteries to catch Tesla

"Ford said it has now sourced about 70% of the battery capacity it needs to support its goal of building more than 2 million EVs worldwide by late 2026." 😆

"Ford's decision to use CATL's lithium iron phosphate batteries for the Mustang Mach-E starting next year, and the F-150 Lightning in 2024, marks a significant win for the Chinese battery maker, and a shift in U.S. marketing strategy for Ford. ..(Lithium-iron batteries typically deliver less driving range than comparable batteries that use nickel and cobalt, and until recently, automakers had stuck with more expensive nickel-cobalt chemistries for the U.S. market, where longer driving range is a key competitive measure.)"

"Ford said it is aiming for 8% pretax profit margins on its EVs by 2026. The company has said its EV business currently is not profitable. Even an 8% margin would be short of the 14.6% operating margin Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) reported Wednesday for the second quarter."
😂
Interesting. Ford was supposedly building a new battery plant at their "Blue Oval City" facility outside of Memphis. Maybe they will be building modules/battery packs rather than cells. The articles I've seen haven't differentiated.

More happy news

Tesla is the most shorted stock in the world, with almost 3% of its float held in short-selling positions. S3 Partners estimates that these investors are taking in more than $1 billion in mark-to-market losses just on Thursday’s surge. That drives their losses this month to $2.67 billion, according to S3.
Yes - some of our favorite TSLAQ members took short positions entering Q2 earnings.
If they have not yet covered . . .it's only going to get worse. Q3 will sting . . .Q4 will burn 🤕

Don't you know??? According to that Ford commercial, Elon is building his own personal rocketship so he can leave earth. That thing has to have windows, or it will get awfully boring.

Hah! That's NOTHING! This surveilance video of a secret meeting btwn EM/MB just before Earnings came out: (of course, the TMC irregulars were there to capture the moment)

/s

LFP makes no sense in a truck or any kind of heavy duty vehicle, especially vehicles that are already stupid heavy. As Tesla has demonstrated LFP is for stationary storage and low range vehicles. It works for the Model 3 because its already a silly light car and with Teslas efficiency it balances out. With a platform with poor efficiency, its lose lose and more lose. It reads like Ford drew the short stick on batteries and is just copying w/o the knowing part.

I'm not convinced. The energy density of LFP cells has been improving incrementally every year. The superior cycle life of the LFP chemistry also has advantages in vehicles like heavy duty trucks that can rack up uber high mileages over their service lives.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I'm not convinced. The energy density of LFP cells has been improving incrementally every year. The superior cycle life of the LFP chemistry also has advantages in vehicles like heavy duty trucks that can rack up uber high mileages over their service life.
Sure things are improving and concur about specific advantages to LFP chemistry but its not there yet. And as we saw with the first EV trucks, they are stupid heavy because they need stupid large nickel based batteries as is just to achieve the average range. And you don't buy batteries today to use five years out do you? That's what the other poster was insinuating. If we're gonna crystal ball stuff...