Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's wrong. Unless you specify the Ah of each cell, the comparison is impossible. Even then, cooling or internal structure could be the limiting factor not C rate.
Plaid has a higher voltage more kWh pack along with higher power motors and improved cooling.

Battery cooling on the plaid is 100% not a limiting factor. Look at the videos of the teardown (it has double the radiator capacity of the prior S), and people have been able to race the cars from 100% SoC down to near 20% with only expected loss of power due to decreasing voltage as the battery drops. No thermal throttling at all.

From page 7 of the deck, robotaxi officially moved to development status.

C168D285-FFFB-4495-9F53-41162A61D7F2.jpeg

I have to say, with most of the market deep red today TSLA is performing very, very well. I'm truly surprised how well it's holding up.
Only at TMC:

1. TSLA up but underperforming market --- :mad:
2. TSLA down more than market -- :mad:
3. TSLA doing nothing but market up -- :mad:
4. TSLA up when market way down -- 🤔
5. TSLA 🚀 --
1658502244910.png

/s

My rolling billboard of an X is currently advertising riverside, as the bench in the photo below is my trading desk for the day.

Tesla is installing solar and a couple Powerwalls at my vacation house and the power is off today, so here I sit listening to the stream babble and watching the stock. No complaints.

Hopefully I’ll no longer be grid-reliant by the end of the day, and maybe even do some advertising if anyone happens by.

1658502513152.jpeg

@Ku
Mom has been mum on SP for quite some time. I may have hurt her feelings when I last berated her of being a wee bit off on timing, or the new medication interferes with her ability to talk to the spirit world. 🤷🏻
Please make up with Mom ASAP....we need clarification on where the SP is headed :)

Given that the Model S and X still use the same cell form factor as a decade ago, with no change in sight, I’d expect they will not do a redesign before the world drowns in batteries.

On Delivery Day, Elon himself stated no 4680s for Plaid for years to come.

Heard it firsthand in person! :)

Presumably castings plus higher production volume plus lower cost cells plus more efficient assembly (4680) should be enough.

Point taken, but eventually Tesla will drop the smaller cells and do a redesign, probably from scratch. Sure it won’t be in the near future

MX Gullwing doors are impressive, but expensive and complex by Tesla's own admission...the real question is can Tesla put sliding doors on their van and still make it cool?
It might be interesting to see Tesla Cybervehicles (truck, van, taxi, etc.) adopt something like DeLorean has planned for their electric Alpha5 vehicle. A single door on each side that opens access to all the interior seating.

DeLorean-Alpha5-supercar-5.jpg

Though, as a tall person, I'd appreciate it be high enough when open that I don't bump my head on it getting in.

Analysts/ press are too stupid, disinterested, or have a vested interest in not differentiating the two processes.
Disinterested they are most definitely NOT. Superficial, uninterested in integrity due to vested interests, probably. nIt is quite impossible to be disinterested and have a vested interest. Those two are near opposites.

Tesla Debt excluding product financing now down to $66m.

View attachment 831467

How this compares to the rest of the auto industry:

Valuations took a huge hit this year so far, because of rising interest rates as cost of borrowing goes up. However, I feel that Wallstreet does not look at how this impacts each individual company. Tesla with its low debt is practically immune to rising interest rates and deserves massive credit for that.

Ok, I'll bite.
tl;dr; Pack and cell are unambiguous, battery can mean either.

A factory that assembles cells (or modules) into packs is indeed a battery factory.
A factory that only combines cells or modules into packs is not a cell factory. This is a clear misnomer.
A factory that manufactures cells can technically also be called a battery factory due to single cell batteries being a thing. However, if the cells are never used singularly as built, then this is really stretching the term.

First off, the world lost precision when single cells were deemed batteries, but there we are. It's understandable why this happened since a device's singular battery can be discrete cells (AAA for instance), and one typically says "This needs new batteries." Where it really needs "a new battery" or "it needs new cells". However, the ambiguity leads to this 'what type of factory' situation.

A battery is a collection of one or more cells.
AA, AAA, C, D, etc are single cell, as are coin cell batteries (like in hearing aids or Tesla fobs.
A 9 Volt battery is 6 cells in one package.
A 12 V standard car battery is also 6 cells (though a different chemistry).
18650, 2170, 4680 are cell sizes. If a product only uses one, that is a single cell battery.
Some LFP are sourced as multicell battery modules themselves, not discrete cells.
EVs use packs made of multiple cells, thus packs are only multicell batteries, not single cells.
Thanks for this one!

Reactions: The Accountant