Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, to her credit, some of her stocks lost 50% and she doubled down and now they're down 80%, so there's definitely investment dexterity there.
It sucks. When my dad passed away I didn't want to be responsible for investing my mom's money in individual stocks. So I bought into all the different ARK funds thinking I was doing her a favor. I got out of a couple at break even, but the three remaining are down 60-68%. 😣

I just wish they'd tie the air vent directional settings to the driver. My wife always splits the flow and away from her face. Me, the exact opposite. We battle with the settings often because of this. The good news is that because it's a Tesla, I know this enhancement is merely an OTA away....someday....
I thought it already put that in the driver's profile...

Yesterday I was minding my own business leaning over, picking up pennies in the middle of the road.
I had just sold TSLA because it jumped up to $825. And My strategy has added 15% additional shares to my position in the last 6 weeks.
BUT fortunately I looked up, I didn't see anything, but you guys have me nervous. So I decided to not wait. I bought all I could with the money I'd just sold hours earlier. It was 2 minutes to closing. I only got 2 extra shares. But I felt like something might happen, and I was hanging out in the open. So I ran for cover...
And then this Mancin thing climbs out from the manhole cover. Thanks guys... for making me a scaredy cat.

Yesterday I was minding my own business leaning over, picking up pennies in the middle of the road.
I had just sold TSLA because it jumped up to $825. And My strategy has added 15% additional shares to my position in the last 6 weeks.
BUT fortunately I looked up, I didn't see anything, but you guys have me nervous. So I decided to not wait. I bought all I could with the money I'd just sold hours earlier. It was 2 minutes to closing. I only got 2 extra shares. But I felt like something might happen, and I was hanging out in the open. So I ran for cover...
And then this Mancin thing climbs out from the manhole cover. Thanks guys... for making me a scaredy cat.
What Mancin thing?

What I think would be groundbreaking and a real show stopper would be to throw a ball at Optimus and have it catch the ball. I'm talking tossed underhand from a person. Showing the adaptation to a real time problem and using sensors to adjust to the environment is a very simple thought but would show a grand ability overall. I doubt this to be possible but you never know.

ummm….Tesla doesn’t have a good record when it comes to throwing balls at its new products during live events

These stock moves on companies that are posting laughable growth compared to Tesla just add to my annoyance 😅

Apple was hit by severe supply constraints due to China covid shutdowns etc on most of its hardware lines (particularly iPads & Macs), and in combination with currency movement & pulling out of russia it made close to $8 Billion difference in the quarter. Despite that they still managed to grow year on year.

Last edited:
Good article on Tesla’s leadership changing the dynamics underpinning competition.

“We are witnessing this struggle between integration and modularity play out in the auto industry.
The shift to electrification and autonomy, however, shifts the basis of competition. Many suppliers and components simply do not exist.”

Covers Tesla’s early decision to create in-house ERP from scratch, ditching SAP, and willingness to identify & develop needed competencies that legacy OEM’s outsource.

“Tesla discovers that it can create proprietary methods (such as its novel approach to refining), it will also get to keep the financial rewards of vertical integration, along with the benefit staying a step or more ahead of its modular competitors. Sooner or later, they too will discover that there is no catalog.”

Chasing Tesla: There is no Catalog

Last edited:
Rob Maurer with an excellent breakdown of the new Clean Car Rebates (notice I didn't say EV):

EDIT - basically PHEVs with battery packs as small as 7kWh can qualify for the full credit, as long as they are assembled in North America, and sufficient source the battery minerals from the USA or a "free trade" partner (scales up over time).

Yeah, Toyota is going to LOVE this bill.
Toyota probably believes the PHEV credit is to their advantage, but if it slows down in any way their development of full EVs, it will be extremely detrimental to them long term.

Toyota probably believes the PHEV credit is to their advantage, but if it slows down in any way their development of full EVs, it will be extremely detrimental to them long term.
It is to their advantage. It subsidizes the sale of vehicles with gasoline engines for the next ten years, enabling OEM's to get more benefit from their large capital investments in ICE manufacturing and slowing the transition to BEV's. Tesla will keep improving the cost effectiveness of BEV's, but it will be some time before their manufacturing capacity is a threat to Toyota, and in the meantime the fossil industry can lobby for more subsidies which their friends might provide while braying about helping people with lower gas prices.

Last edited:
Another funny….

“All that electric power is fast and exciting off the line. But the overly minimalist interior and the lackluster exterior styling make Tesla a strong contender for this list.”

Do we have to link to trash articles and get them clicks? Why waste time or effort on the musings of some losers? :D

I think their fate is sealed either way so it is good for them. It will buy a few years. It's going to be fascinating to see just how long Toyota can remain in existence. They do have a lot of cash and they have good efficiency (at least by OEM standards). Now they will be able to stretch further with the PHEVs. Of the OEMs that fail to transition, Toyota will probably be the last to go.

Economic Calendar
In case you are not aware of this handy resource, Bloomberg has a very useful Economic calendar.
You can use filters to narrow info by country and data category (e.g. inflation, employment, etc.)
You can find the calendar here: Economic Calendar

I will be looking for Core PCE Index (YoY) this morning. The first column below is the estimate (4.7%) and the 2nd column is the prior month actual (4.7% as well). Employment Wages and Personal Spending are due out this morning as well.
BTW - if you select any of these rows, historical data is available for prior months.

1659089684551.png