Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our boy made national news on the opening monologue for the Colbert Show last night. For EVs? No. For SpaceX? No. For tunnels? No. Polls. F****** polls. What a way to move your brand and value.

Yes, this is related to the company. It shows the public the head of Tesla is out of his mind. Who would want to think about switching over after seeing that? No, don't tell me about demand. It's met, I get it. I'm talking about the people still driving ICEs.

Our boy made national news on the opening monologue for the Colbert Show. For EVs? No. For SpaceX? No. For tunnels? No. Polls. F****** polls. What a way to move your brand and value.

Yes, this is related to the company. It shows what a lunatic Tesla has right now.
Phtht, he's done that before, many times.

Our boy made national news on the opening monologue for the Colbert Show last night. For EVs? No. For SpaceX? No. For tunnels? No. Polls. F****** polls. What a way to move your brand and value.

Yes, this is related to the company. It shows the public the head of Tesla is out of his mind. Who would want to think about switching over after seeing that? No, don't tell me about demand. It's met, I get it. I'm talking about the people still driving ICEs.

You should sell your TSLA shares. If things like that hit you deep in the emotions then you would probably be happier holding VOO or VTI maybe.

Elon is who he is. Either accept him or forget about Tesla, because they are a package deal. Note I'm not saying I liked his tweet, but he has the right to say what he wants to.

To me the stock drop is completely the result of Elon Musk not getting anything right. The stupidity he showed in the "poll" tweets, and then first screwing around to sell TSLA to buy Twitter only to drag the whole crappy mess out for months impacting both Tesla and Twitter's stock before finally being forced to "Put up AND shut up" and accept the contract he agreed with. What the hell good came out of any of that?
No Sir, he might be a good engineer, but no way in hell would I want him as a friend or acquaintance. He's become a nutjob. He's made me money, lots of money, and as much as I can easily love people that benefit me He's too damn weird.

5th October? - TWTR agreement to delay deposition?
5th October - confirmation on whether Elon sold shares on Monday
17th October - deadline for TWTR purchase ahead of trial
17th October - TWTR trial starts unless delayed / cancelled
19th October? - ER
19th October - Elon can sell more if needed
21st October - TWTR trial ends unless delayed / cancelled

Assuming it comes out after close today that Elon sold shares on Monday, does anyone remember what happened the next day when he sold shares most recently (so he wouldn't have to do an emergency sale if he had to buy Twitter)?
Won't matter if he sold or not and won't matter if he states on Twitter that he's done selling. Market has zero trust/faith in what he says at this point because he's said he's done selling twice now this year......and yet :rolleyes:

The reality to me is that Elon has done long term damage to the stock when it comes to institutional investors buying in. He's sold a huge number of shares in the past 12 month, even after multiples times saying he was done. He's done his selling in extremely painful ways. He's erratic on Twitter and creating controversy nearly every week.

Doesn't affect me and when or how I sell, but I definitely think the valuation metric for how cheap TSLA has to get before institutional investors will buy in is dramatically lower than where it was last year or even earlier this year. I hate to agree with him, but I'm starting to agree with @Mengy that TSLA's valuation metric (PE) will compress to absurd levels before it bottoms and is forced higher........likely means a year or so of TSLA being dead money.

I used to think there's no way a company could have a Forward P/E of 30-40 and be growing earnings well over 100%+ YoY. I think we're about to see it 😅

Last edited:
Demand is off the charts unmeasurable. I've been a Tesla fanboy since (I don't know when somewhere between 2008 and 2013). I still haven't bought a tesla (for various reasons).

Just a slight dip in pre tax credit prices on the Model Y and a firm understanding that I get the tax credit and I'm in on my first Tesla (in 2023?).

Prices dip more than that and I grab a 2nd Tesla shortly after.

There are millions of people like me waiting in the wings for the right time to buy. (The cars have been good enough for me all along)

And that's not counting all the existing Tesla owners that will pick up a new daily driver or trade in/upgrade from an older Tesla.

Elon can say the nicest or most reprehensible things and it won't change my desire to replace my current daily driver.

Any one that thinks demand is an issue or that what Elon says will affect demand is clearly unaware of the huge numbers of us ready to snap up a reasonably priced Tesla.

I fully expect prices to drop when Austin Texas is pumping out full capacity, I also expect demand to be robust enough that the price drop will be minimal. I expect to pay more than I want to for my next car. But a Model Y under $40K after tax credit would be a deal I'm ready to do now.

1a644cbf5091a8870ce59fc6269aa8a192ac84cddafec592df6a07e160119423.png
40af9f43d661bf9d44e45a2f9a8992c4e464d793342ff8dc87f561e5601d3b98.png

Won't matter if he sold or not and won't matter if he states on Twitter that he's done selling. Market has zero trust/faith in what he says at this point because he's said he's done selling twice now this year......and yet :rolleyes:
What he said:
"No further TSLA sales planned after today"

"Yes. In the (hopefully unlikely) event that Twitter forces this deal to close *and* some equity partners don’t come through, it is important to avoid an emergency sale of Tesla stock."

One could be critical of sales to buy Twitter in general, but the second sale this year was duress/insurance versus desired.

What he said:

"Yes. In the (hopefully unlikely) event that Twitter forces this deal to close *and* some equity partners don’t come through, it is important to avoid an emergency sale of Tesla stock."

One could be critical of sales to buy Twitter in general, but the second sale this year was duress/insurance versus desired.
While this is annoying if he is selling to raise funds for TWTR, I would much rather he sell and close this transaction as opposed to having a margin loan on his TSLA shares as originally planned. That would have kept this whole TWTR overhang in perpetuity. This whole saga is such a stupid unforced error. Unfortunately, it also comes at a time of inflation, madman in Russia and questions about demand.

What he said:

He said he sold at that time to avoid an emergency sale of stock IF he ended up having to go through with the purchase........so if he's going through with the purchase......why would he be selling more shares now? In an emergency???

That's the issue here. FYI, I don't think he's been selling this week. But if he has been, then I don't blame institutional investors one bit for having zero faith in whatever Elon says