Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder how much money Tesla saves by not having to micro manage supply chain due to Covid-driven supply chain challenges or pay terrorist-like expedite fees, or not have to redesign hardware to work with what you can get. I'm sure it's been an enormous effort to keep the spice moving while other OEMs throw their hands up, happy to have an excuse for low production. Wonder when we'll start to see that relief and savings materialize into EPS....

Reactions: Nocturnal
And it's locked!

TMC hivemind survey with n=31 non-joking responses yields expectation of about $1.26 non-GAAP earnings, for roughly 26% beat of institutional expectations, with +/- 1 sigma range of about $1.15 to $1.39

1666208076083.png

Good point about the rolling resistance. The train needs most of the energy when accelerating from the start, once rolling it needs very little.

So, maybe a combined system would be the most effective:
1. Have overhead power lines for just a few miles around the stations (easy access to electricity supply, no need for long lines out in the wilderness) to help with initial acceleration
2. Have batteries to supply energy for cruising and be able to store energy from regenerative breaking

This way the battery cost is lowered compared to full BEV version (do not need high capacity for the initial acceleration), and HV line cost is significantly lowered compared to fully wired solution.
In UK the cost of electrification of the lines has been a major hurdle. Your ideas are where I was going. I would imagine the overhead lines for a battery powered train could be a matter of a few hundred yards (not miles) either side of a station. This would be more than enough to power the initial acceleration of the train at each stop, and the cruise between the stations would require relatively little power. This would allow the batteries to be optimised for energy density rather than power density. I would think large sodium batteries would do.

What utter rubbish. Phone as Key works off BT. Not Wi-Fi.

The exact same thing happened to me, so not rubbish. In my case I simply forgot to bring my key fob (older Model X, no BT keycard), but I could remote start it at my house, so no problem. I unwisely parked it in a parking garage and when I went back to the car later, realized the car couldn't pick up a cellular signal there, so I had to Uber home and back to retrieve my key fob. Of course, I had my wife with me, so I’ll never be able to forget the incident. 😝

The goons do understand this. The investment media works by gambling that casual investors don't do enough research... and take headlines and first few bullet points as the truth. Investors who really understand Tesla don't believe this nonsense, or fall for these games over and over and over. Example: articles about "demand problem" every three months? Come on.
Well all the more sausage for us then...

In UK the cost of electrification of the lines has been a major hurdle. Your ideas are where I was going. I would imagine the overhead lines for a battery powered train could be a matter of a few hundred yards (not miles) either side of a station. This would be more than enough to power the initial acceleration of the train at each stop, and the cruise between the stations would require relatively little power. This would allow the batteries to be optimised for energy density rather than power density. I would think large sodium batteries would do.
Rather than running overhead cables, they should call The Boring Company and utilize their Utility option. Big ass conduits make more sense going into the future, they're virtually weatherproof, and not an eyesore.

Just sayin'....