Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read 30 pages of the Elon/Twitter thread, and it almost destroyed my faith in Elon and his mission.

Then I went and watched his talk with Ron Baron today and it re-affirmed my faith in Elon, that he's not bat-*sugar* crazy, and really does know what he's doing:

The twitter thread should just be closed, it's all same people with the same bullhorns, repeating their manta every 10 posts and refusing to listen to anyone else's opinion. Half of them are pissed that their savior doesn't perfectly align with them (get over it, people are imperfect), and the other half appear to just be perpetually mad.
No.

If you close that thread they will just whine more here. It leaks over to here too much even with that thread.

Streetlamps fantastic!

Mary_Poppins_Returns_-_Jack.jpg

But then he went on to suggest the current 25% margins would go up 5x with autonomy/AI.

Actually, Elon didn't say the margins that would go up 5X,, it was the value of the cars that would 5X and that would cause profit to skyrocket. Here's the scenario he laid out:

What if a company is making X number of cars with 25-30% margins. And then the cars suddenly have 5 times the utility (due to autonomy) and are worth 5 times as much, but still cost the same to build. What does that do to the company's financials?

Car sells for $50K, costs $37.5K to make (25% margins) = $12.5K profit
Car sells for $250K, costs $37.5K to make = $212.5K profit

note: I don't think Elon was suggesting this exact scenario would happen like this, simply that the profitability when autonomy happens becomes so great it's difficult to believe.

If they looked at the accounts using our passwords, we might not have spouses before 2025.

My wife has been watching our brokerage balance go up and down for 30 years (mostly up) and she knows that's how it works.

She's not phased one bit. She knows that making the right choices and remaining steady basically turns the market into a money printing machine over the long haul.

Actually, Elon didn't say the margins that would go up 5X,, it was the value of the cars that would 5X and that would cause profit to skyrocket. Here's the scenario he laid out:

What if a company is making X number of cars with 25-30% margins. And then the cars suddenly have 5 times the utility (due to autonomy) and are worth 5 times as much, but still cost the same to build. What does that do to the company's financials?

Car sells for $50K, costs $37.5K to make (25% margins) = $12.5K profit
Car sells for $250K, costs $37.5K to make = $212.5K profit

note: I don't think Elon was suggesting this exact scenario would happen like this, simply that the profitability when autonomy happens becomes so great it's difficult to believe.
The problem with utility is that I would by a Tesla to drive 10000km/year and I would also buy one to drive 20000km/year. Did it become twice as valuable to me? Not really. A large part of the value is knowing I have access to it when I need it.

That being said, with robotaxi a car can be used a lot more. But there is also a competition of other Tesla owners being willing to robotaxi out their cars for little bit less than me. So they will drive down the cost to the point that owning a Tesla might be very low value to me. Maybe in some initial period there will be lots of money to be made for owners and Tesla, but in the long run margins will go down what the most desperate and efficient robotaximanagers are willing to make. It's hard to do the math, but imo expecting that a car will go from $50k in value to $250k in value for a long time period is not reasonable. The market will saturate the excessive profits very fast, that's what market does. But in that transation we are gonna need a lot of gigafactories and lots of buybacks and after the technology can be used for optimus, evtol, boats and other fun stuff we cannot even imagine right now.

I just read 30 pages of the Elon/Twitter thread, and it almost destroyed my faith in Elon and his mission.

Then I went and watched his talk with Ron Baron today and it re-affirmed my faith in Elon, that he's not bat-*sugar* crazy, and really does know what he's doing:

The twitter thread should just be closed, it's all same people with the same bullhorns, repeating their manta every 10 posts and refusing to listen to anyone else's opinion. Half of them are pissed that their savior doesn't perfectly align with them (get over it, people are imperfect), and the other half appear to just be perpetually mad.

they’re sucked into the media narrative hook, line, and sinker.

whats confusing is many are tesla investors…

really? as if the lies and attack vectors are a new thing?

why would you believe media noise this time? ohhh, because elon said something offensive.

pathetic

I wonder how fast Lathrop can ramp up to that 10K Megapacks per year volume?

Old news: (from Jan 08, 2022)

And even more news blog-posted on Jan 17, 2022:

Yeah, recent "news" on Megapack production at Lathrop is nothing new at all; it's mostly youtubers & twits pumping their news feeds (trusting your bad memory, or unwillingness to Google).

Meanwhile, progress at TE is steady and on track... as is the rest of Tesla's business.

Elon has been talking about this overnight step change in value for years. I get it, one day (soon to Elon) FSD will officially be L5 and that epic OTA will be one for the history books....but, what do we model for ASPs after that event? Is Tesla likely to keep selling cars to people who don't want FSD? Wouldn't that be wasteful? Do prices for base vehicles step change up? It seems like we ought to have a few ideas here?

I know that as a collective we don’t miss much, but a few days ago there was an article about Tesla and Glencore having talked about Tesla taking a stake in the company. I haven’t seen it being mentioned in this thread. The search function also doesn’t produce any results...

Yes, it was mentioned in this thread, but people seem to find it convenient to post pictures of tweets instead of the text itself, which is why TMC's "search" feature can't find the comment.

This is also the reason why I always post the text of the tweet, and not a link to the tweet. Folks, as soon as that tweet gets deleted (or even if twitter.com is unreachable), then all that information is lost here.

Something to think about for those here in the habit of posting naked links to tweets...

Is Tesla likely to keep selling cars to people who don't want FSD? Wouldn't that be wasteful? Do prices for base vehicles step change up? It seems like we ought to have a few ideas here?
You can still buy it even if you don't want FSD. You might be allowed to drive manually and kill people, but you will probably be allowed to playdrive as long as you follow the rules and don't endager other people. See Ashoks video

Is it wasteful? Yeah, your CO2 footprint and economical costs will be higher than using robotaxi. But you are an adult, you choose yourself how you want to spend your money. I will probably buy a car anyway, because I like having my own car. Sorry planet earth... At least I buy one of the least polluting cars and support the company doing the most to alleviate global warming. But it is wasteful no doubt.

Will prices go up? Yeah, when demand goes up, Tesla can and should charge more money while they scale to catch up with demand. So for a few years you might have to pay premium as Tesla scales from 2M to >20M vehicles/year.

Official IRS guidelines.

Per the above rules, your interpretation is not correct:
"A trader must make the mark-to-market election by the original due date (not including extensions) of the tax return for the year prior to the year for which the election becomes effective."

In this case, for 2022, it would be the April deadline in 2023.

I have hundreds of consistent day and weekly trading transactions, so I should meet the other criteria easily.

"A trader must make the mark-to-market election by the original due date (not including extensions) [April 15th] of the tax return for the year prior [Year - 1] to the year for which the election becomes effective [Year].

Year effective: 2022 "If you have huge capital loss in 2022"
Year prior: 2021
Date of election: 2021 filing date: April 15, 2022

IRS https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf
A trader may make an election under section 475(f) to report all gains and losses from securities held in connection with a trading business as ordinary income (or loss), including those from securities held at the end of the year. Securities held at the end of the year are “marked-to-market” by treating them as if they were sold for fair market value on the last business day of the year. Generally, the election must be made by the due date (not including extensions) of the tax return for the year prior to the year for which the election becomes effective. To be effective for 2021, the election must have been made by the due date of your 2020 return (not counting extensions)

If you hold securities for investment, you must identify them as such in your records on the day you acquired them (for example, by holding the securities in a separate brokerage account). Securities that you hold for investment aren't marked-to-market.
So for 2022, deadline would be 2021's filling due date of April 15th, 2022. Note also the normal income treatment of all stocks, unless specifically excluded at time of purchase.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The problem with utility is that I would by a Tesla to drive 10000km/year and I would also buy one to drive 20000km/year. Did it become twice as valuable to me? Not really. A large part of the value is knowing I have access to it when I need it.

That being said, with robotaxi a car can be used a lot more. But there is also a competition of other Tesla owners being willing to robotaxi out their cars for little bit less than me. So they will drive down the cost to the point that owning a Tesla might be very low value to me. Maybe in some initial period there will be lots of money to be made for owners and Tesla, but in the long run margins will go down what the most desperate and efficient robotaximanagers are willing to make. It's hard to do the math, but imo expecting that a car will go from $50k in value to $250k in value for a long time period is not reasonable. The market will saturate the excessive profits very fast, that's what market does. But in that transation we are gonna need a lot of gigafactories and lots of buybacks and after the technology can be used for optimus, evtol, boats and other fun stuff we cannot even imagine right now.
Like any industry, the margins will start out wide and become thinner as the industry matures - Here's my attempt to figure out how many years where a vehicle that cost ~$35k to build will throw off abnormally high profits.

We already know what the current market will bare for human transportation costs - In London for example it's ~£1.50/mile give or take for Uber and much higher for black cabs. RoboTaxi ("RT") might charge a little less to outcompete rideshare but that is what the market currently accepts and there isn't much room to move for rideshare companies on price because they have high cost overheads (drivers). Costs for RT are likely to only be ~£0.15/mile or less with no energy crisis. So that's about £150k of revenue/yr/robotaxi initially at ~90% margin. Not bad!!

The price per mile should stay around this level until all the uber/taxi businesses are driven out of business. There is in the order of 500k taxi/rideshare vehicles in the UK - so it will likely take 3-5 years for Tesla to produce enough vehicles to send to the UK to replace all the existing taxi/rideshare vehicles (Tesla only sold 32k vehicles in the UK ytd and the existing fleet will not fully jump into RT). This may be shorter if it takes a long time for RT to become available and the Tesla fleet expands - but the price will stay high until taxi/rideshare is wiped out.

Once taxi/rideshare are gone Tesla will presumably start to compete against itself but as price comes down demand should go way up. People holding on to cheap old cars will see the utility of RT and get rid of their vehicles, long distance trips will become economic, people taking the bus will see it's not much more expensive in a RT, etc. Meaning that the price wont fall straight from Rideshare pricing to new RT pricing, it will get supported by new demand for a gradual decline in price. Assuming this process takes a decade or so - Tesla will likely trade margin for volume until a new steady state will be found - but the entire time there will be profits raining from the heavens - firstly from margin and later from the sheer volume of miles travelled.

This ignores the obvious software/subscription options that can generate even more cash.

Also Tesla will continue to innovate their product over the decade with all the good stuff you mentioned which will throw off more cash per mile.

Full Elon video.
Fifteen minutes into this, I don't think I could possibly admire him more. Guy is not only a visionary genius, but absolutely genuine.

Just quasi unfiltered. :)

Bravo, Elon.

Edit: Finished watching. Re 'stock is too high' comment. Good lord, just listen to what he says afterward. HODL and Buy, if you can, dammit! Move on. No advice, here....

Last edited:
Old news: (from Jan 08, 2022)

And even more news blog-posted on Jan 17, 2022:

Yeah, recent "news" on Megapack production at Lathrop is nothing new at all; it's mostly youtubers & twits pumping their news feeds (trusting your bad memory, or unwillingness to Google).

Meanwhile, progress at TE is steady and on track... as is the rest of Tesla's business.
Do you know where they are expecting the cells to come from for the Lathrop megapack factory? Presumably from China? I doubt and of the US battery plants will have any spare capacity with Semi and CT ramping? I guess that means that storage won't benefit from the IRA for a while.

Maybe there will be some spare Ultium cells floating around.