Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always strive to be:-
  1. Optimistic.
  2. Realistic
I'm optimistic about the future of Tesla as a company and TSLA as an investment.

I'm realistic enough to know that the silly pointless war between Eon and the left is very likely to continue

The reason it will continue is both sides think they can browbeat the other side into submission with insults, and the response to an insult, is always outrage and to throwing back an bigger insult.

I view it as mostly a breakdown in communication and an inability to understand the other side's point of view. Elon is also appearing to be a worse person than he really is, and is "tone deaf" on some social issues.

We can add in the media and others throwing petrol on the fire whenever they get the opportunity. Many have a lot to gain from the conflict raging on,

Both sides are blind to the damage the conflict is doing to their cause, which includes it being a distraction.

IMO it would take someone like Obama to get Elon and the left talking constructively, if not Obama, then someone else both sides respect.

Being realistic I can't see the war ending soon, starting wars is much easier than ending them.

People expecting Elon to see common-sense and backdown are not being realistic, if Elon was inclined to do that, we would not have the war.

Outside of a peacemaker, the best hope is that Elon loses interest or becomes engaged in other battles.
Thank you, very good response.

...I have learned, sales-wise, never talk about politics....

I agree with your conclusion, and I respect your concern. But do remember that Elon is under vicious attack by politicians and several industries that he is disrupting. How should a salesman respond to such attacks? Ignore them? Or try to set the record straight, which appeals to the majority who are not attacking.

I do think Elon could have responded with more facts and fewer insults, but I understand his exasperation. I can hardly believe the attacks from Lefties I used to support, despite all that Elon is doing for humanity. He is only human, not perfect despite his genius, so I cut him some slack.

Quality post. Bookmarked
What a refreshing post in the long line of boring negativity that has set in here. You go short it’s a pure gambol. No connection to the business reality. It’s ok to do that if you want but not for me. I step back and every day I get into my 2017 model s it’s a pure joy to drive. At least 5 years ahead of the competition. Charging ? No problem. Have driven all over Europe and never an issue.

Ignore the FUD and listen to the man carefully. The interview with the Barron guy is awesome. Play it over again. Who the hell else has that kind of vision ? Twitter ? All social
Media is a cancer in my mind (TMC excepted of course !). It will live or do but in the long term it has little or no real connection with Tesla

I worked for Microsoft in the SLT 92-02. I remember all the FUD around the antitrust. The controversies that Billg was always in. The periods of up to 2 years when the stock was down. But over the decade we all did very well indeed. Tesla is firmly the leader in the exploding EV market. This isn’t likely to change in the foreseeable future

I am all in. Do t look at the SP daily. Cheers to the longs

I agree with your conclusion, and I respect your concern. But do remember that Elon is under vicious attack by politicians and several industries that he is disrupting. How should a salesman respond to such attacks? Ignore them? Or try to set the record straight, which appeals to the majority who are not attacking.

I do think Elon could have responded with more facts and fewer insults, but I understand his exasperation. I can hardly believe the attacks from Lefties I used to support, despite all that Elon is doing for humanity. He is only human, not perfect despite his genius, so I cut him some slack.
He should just tell them to sit on a tack.

• Funny
Reactions: gene

Thank you for this response. I agree with most all you have said. I too, lost my respect for Bernie and Elizabeth. I made my first post because being in TSLA for 10 years and a huge Elon fan all these years, it is scary to me that he is even wearing me down lately.

But I do feel that all these above responses have been helpful for me to keep up the faith. Thanks
to you all!!

I am appreciating all responses to my post, especially those that disagree. I would love if I was simply in a "social bubble", and that my concerns are not valid, but this time around, and because my "bubble" is very much who so many the "bubble" that California Tesla owners fit into, I have concern.

Warning: This will probably be my most controversial post I've posted here on TMC.

Elon has grown his follower count on twitter from 34mil followers to 115mil followers in 2.5 years. Please, point me to anyone else that has increased their twitter follower count by 70+ million in 30 months. I would doubt there is anyone else that has even grown their twitter follower count at half that rate.

1668235018241.png

IMHO, Elon is keenly aware that "all PR is good PR". This may be just my own opinion, but I don't believe that Elon would have been able to grow his personal fame and Tesla's brand along with it as quick as he has if he was the wants-to-please-everyone CEO that it seems so many want him to be. I'm arguing that being contentious, stating his opinions on topics exactly as he sees them, being fearless of potentially losing followers and customers contributes materially to growing Tesla's potential customer count.

Why is there so much FUD about Tesla? Why are there 10-100 times as many articles with "Tesla" or "Elon Musk" in the headline than any other automakers or it's CEO? Having Tesla and/or Elon Musk in their headlines gets them tons more clicks than having any other automaker or it's CEO in its headlines. Would Tesla have been able to consistently grow at a over 60% CAGR for the past decade without being in all these headlines? Once again, this is my own opinion, but in my mind I find it hilarious that those that want so much for Elon and Tesla to fail spend millions of advertiser dollars, pushing journalists and reporters to spout FUD nonsense about Tesla, not realizing that they are literally contributing to expanding the Tesla brand, lol. The media and it's advertisers are literally playing right into Elon's hands lol.

TLDR - Here is the Tesla/Elon PR Cycle:

1. Elon posts controversial tweet.
2. Those funding the media give the media a little push to put out a negative story on said tweet.
3. Potential customers read negative story... eventually follow Elon Musk wanting to be able to witness these outragous tweets in real time.
4. New Elon Musk twitter followers eventually start to do some research on Tesla, some of which end up buying Teslas
5. Go back to step 1

PS - I may have been watching too many SMR videos recently...

Last edited:
5 years ago very few of my friends knew who Elon Musk even was.

Most of my friends who see my Tesla or ask about my Tesla want to know about the car. I rarely hear comments about Musk off of this board or a couple other EV specific forums.

Most people associate Musk with Tesla and very few know about some random Tweet he made. Fewer, but still quite a few would know about SpaceX and that Musk owns SpaceX too.

I don't know who you hang out with who follows Musk's shenanigans so closely, but I hang with a lot of middle class... normal folks who are outside of the EV world. They don't know or care about any of this crap. They don't follow politics closely, they don't follow Musk on Twitter, or any of the politicians.

I cringe about a lot of things Musk says, and my friends who are political give me crap about it on occasion. But most of my friends just don't care. Many of my friends who are political and are aware of Musk's comments don't care about them enough to sway their purchase choices.

Maybe it's my bubble. Maybe it's your bubble. Not sure how to reconcile the two since nobody seems to bother doing any kind of legit survey or gather any real data on this. It's just one pile of anecdotes versus another.

What you state here is even more true outside the US. In my European bubble:
- people barely know who Elon Musk is. Most have trouble getting his name right.
- articles in the mainstream media about Elon Musk are in the fait-divers category. The sentiment is mostly ‘schadenfreude’.
- US politics is not relevant in Europe. In the European perspective, both Republicans and Democrats are on the right anyway. Most Europeans wouldn’t know which of those two parties is the most on the right.
- Personally I have never encountered anybody who claimed not to buy a Tesla because of Elon. From my perspective, people don’t buy a Tesla because the brand is too new or because of emotional connection to their favourite European brand, but mostly because a Tesla is too expensive or too big.

So glad too. I am seriously fatigued by this blockchain hype. Yes, distributed ledger is useful in a small number of applications, yes, people are fed up with mmt consequences, but blockchain is one of the least performant ways to deal with organizational trust issues. A class of tech nerds found a shiny new hummer, and suddenly we have retail investors with broken piggy banks [and empty cushions]

Last edited:
Wow, Tesla’s dominance in California is stunning. I pay super close attention to all things Tesla, and I had no idea they were already the best selling passenger car in the state. Not best selling EV. Best selling car. I knew this day would come, but not this fast. It’s only one state, but the rest will follow soon enough.

And what’s crazy about this is that Tesla is dominating with only high price cars. This is unprecedented in the history of the automobile industry.

This is what successful disruption of an industry looks like, folks. It only happens in this important an industry a few times in a generation. The iPhone is the only other one that comes to mind.

Anyone on this forum posting about Musk tweets or Musk share sales is distracting attention from the biggest story of our lifetime.

In looking at the California sales numbers, the only Tesla laggard is the Model X. It’s doing well, but it’s not dominating its segment like the 3,Y and S.

Our family has owned all four cars, and the only one we sold was the X. For us, the gull wing doors were a net negative. Tesla would do better to reimagine a luxury large SUV to replace the X, but the segment is too small to make that a high priority now.

Of course the other segment that Tesla does not dominate is pickup trucks.

That could change soon. 😉