Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
replying to self : and the rest of the HODLers on TMC:
another key difference between now and 2017-2020 FUD is there are many You tubers who are creating FUD... possibly unwittingly ...
  • questioning Elons every move
  • speculating about demand
  • speculating about buybacks
  • speculating about succession plan
  • ignoring facts for the most part
  • perpetuating the Twitter FUD

in 2017-2020 I only had to refute the MSM FUD, now we have so called TSLA Investors very vocally on You Tube spreading the FUD also

Many of these You tubers were a light in the darkness a few years ago , however ; many have become the full on FUDsters themselves

The number one source of TSLA FUD For me in 2022 has been Elon Musk

No, not faintly true.... Sports teams don't, for example. That’s like a third of stories out there any given day...
Gotta fight the negligent kind of FUD with fact...
OK, let's do that.
Sports teams generate advertising revenue (even federation Football, about which they complain because of too few intervals for ads) so advertisers pay huge prices. (perhaps you've heard of Super Bowl ads?). Thus the Sports teams promotion is closely related to celebrity endorsements, they are a vehicle for advertising rather than the subject of the ads.

In order to make cogent arguments for or against Tesla advertising it is desirable to understand how promotion works. Advertising is one part of promotion, by definition is is paid for by the object of the ads.

Sometimes it seems that understanding marketing without studying the subject is somehow similar to opining on medicine or physics without studying the subject. Any normally intelligent person could understand them all at a useful level. None can be done without actually understanding the subject.

A sports team advertising itself is precisely analogous to George Clooney paying Nespresso for his endorsement.

We have had almost endless debates here about Tesla marketing, the vast majority without any real study about what marketing is in the 21st century. Without repeating many other posts, Tesla is adept at what was traditionally called 'word of mouth'. Tesla consistently takes promotional actions that attract future customer and maintains their attention. Ask any literate 11 year old anywhere, almost worldwide I think, and you'll find a tesla enthusiast, precisely because of continuing feature enhancement to attract them. That is part of marketing, called product. The clever part is in placement, another component, which puts those clever product features in a desirable product.

When we discuss these issues at TMC we're prone to confuse consumer expendable measures such as 'intention to buy' and endow those with enormous significance. Then we ignore the fundamental character of consumer behavior in consumer durables, 'owner satisfaction'. Again we lose the path with another set of metrics called 'things gone wrong' and 'ease of use'. Those two also are deceptive because 'things gone wrong' in automotive context acts to include software updates as 'wrong' and a downloaded correction of a flat as a 'recall'.

Overall nearly all the establish auto industry data assumes advertising at dealers, regional and national level in print, TV, internet with paid placement and multi-level expense si the correct and only model. That 'just ain't true'! A large part of angst today is caused directly by people and groups who are motivated to diminish what the Economist calls 'liberal democracy'.

We cannot make progress with anti-FUD when we are not equipping ourselves with the necessary tools, mostly knowledge, with which to fight back. I do not wish to be histrionic. I do think the challenges of the present day are destabilizing much of what we value in Tesla and TSLA.

Examining what actually happened on Dave Chapelle vs how is was reported and assumed can be one easily digested beginning.

Examining what Tesla achieved in China and elsewhere this quarter will also be instructive if we examine the data carefully. Much of the factual errors in current reporting will be obvious in a couple of weeks. Much of that has been well meaning reporting, but willfully ignorant.

There is much more to be said, but almost all of it is a severe misunderstanding of how susceptible a wide open medium is to misinformation. The entire marketing structure needs to be dramatically altered in this environment.

There are few people who understand how this environment actually works. Two prime examples are Elon Musk and Volodymyr Zelensky. Thinking carefully about what they have in common would be, I think, informative. Looking very carefully helps understand how to combat FUD, encourage supporters, and expand markets.

By the way, both of those help understand how dangerous it is to try to act on very short term data. Both are instructive in learning how to navigate during times of disaster.

I'm really tired of this assumption that people on the liberal left are making regarding elo'ns tweets. They are saying he is 'behaving badly' and 'attacking his customers'. They were 100% FINE with Elon when he was agreeing with their politics, because that makes him 'correct', but the moment he disagrees, he is somehow attacking them. Where they concerned that in voting democrat in the past he was 'attacking' potential conservative/right wing tesla customers?

For crying out loud there was VERY recently a mid term election. The USA is clearly VERY divided. Its not like the country is 95% left/liberal and Elon has picked a tiny minority view...

..anyway.... back to the share price.

Something that took me a long time to understand is this:
The current stock price is NOT the value of the stock. Its the mid point of buyers and sellers who are happy to buy/sell TODAY. That may be a very,m very small sliver of the total stock holding. Teslas daily volume, as a percentage of total stock, is not massive.
I think my Tesla shares are worth $300-400 each. If you want to buy mine, its going to cost you that, at least.
The fact that some people (with weak conviction) will sell some today at $150, to other who will buy at $150 does not change my view. There are a LOT of people like me (and people like ellison & ron baron etc who have even higher goals I'm sure).

So we are witnessing a lot of very confused people who are trading this stock at the moment at a very low valuation. Thats cute, but it has no impact on people like me, who are long term investors, very happy to keep their shares through all this, and come out smiling super broadly when reality catches up the financials.
If it takes me 5 years to get a fair price for my TSLA, I'll happily wait. You should do the same. Do NOT trade options, do NOT use margin. Just buy stocks, and then read a book.
Concerning Elon and "blue bird comments". Lets face it, many of our richest billionaires are left-leaning. Jeff Bezos for example owns one of the more extreme-left tabloids on the planet, one that often promotes far-left causes and suppresses right-leaning ones. Fine, his choice-that doesn't stop conservatives from using Amazon extensively. Bill Gates-famously left, doesn't stop conservatives from using Windows or Excel. Zuckerberg perhaps worse than both, right-leaning people are still on Facebook.

My point? In spite of the noise, I have trouble believing that a large percentage of Tesla buyers are staying away because Elon is making a social media platform welcoming to both the left and right. Why did they buy in the first place? If they did so to make an impact on CO2 emissions, Tesla is still the best choice; Elon has probably done more to reduce CO2 emissions than anyone on earth. Did they buy because Tesla is a darned nice car, with great performance, good driving dynamics, advanced technology and safety? That hasn't changed, Tesla is still the gold standard in a lot of areas. Or did did they buy one to "virtue signal" and prove to their friends how "woke" they are? I suppose then it could be a concern-but really, who does that, especially with such a major purchase? My personal opinion is that the whole "blue bird" impact, and Elon's "negative" impact on the Tesla brand, is far overrated. I don't think most buyers are childish and petty enough for these issues to have a significant long-term impact on automotive purchases. And in fact may bring in a new market of buyers, IF there is indeed an impact at all.

Sure, the whole blue-bird thing makes for great FUD for the media, and many media sources ARE far-left. So "double whammy"-first, Tesla doesn't pay them for advertising space, and now Elon impacts the MSM stranglehold on information exchange. It's predictable that the MSM would attack, and I'm sure that has a short term impact on SP. But face it, MSM doesn't have a lot of credibility, IMO this artificial depression of the SP will blow over with positive earnings and production reports.

But heck, just my opinion, I've been wrong a lot before, could be here.

EM almost always tells you what he does. But it is only 100% clear after the fact.

These statements to “think long term and avoid debt / leverage” could well indicate he has been selling, especially yesterday. I do not know if this is the case, but it is easy to see that if it were the case everyone would smack their forehead and say ”there you go! He told us he was selling!”.

But again, it would only be 100% after the fact.

I am not convinced he sold yesterday. @Artful Dodger has put forward some very nice data indicating this may 100% be about rebalancing. And when a stock craters all sorts of shareholders come out of the woodwork to sell, not to mention the ever present margin calls.

And let’s not forget that someone bought those 177 million shares yesterday as well.

Just imagine if Powell crashes the market and we start out the drop from here, the high $150's.

We could be seeing the upper $140's this afternoon if we see a market drop today. 😮
Powell is going to hike 50 basis points and then give out the same spiel he has for the past year, except there will be a mention of the fact that they need to digest what the FED has done so far. Probably will not ‘crash’ the market.

Most bear markets grind down relentlessly crushing out hope and dip buyers. They don’t usually collapse all at once, especially not over something that has been so exhaustively telegraphed ahead of time.

One thing I will say about this "rumor" is it will be very clear in late Dec./early January whether the shutdown happened. The reporting of Tesla China manufacturing is more transparent than anywhere in the Tesla world. Like some others have said, the credibility Reuter's and others will be very clear come early January.
The intent of that yellow rag has been clear for a while.

If you need to shutdown there will aways be upgrades. In all my years in manufacturing we always took advantage of any shutdown to do improvements we could not do while the line was running even if they were minor. There's always something that can be improved.

One thing I will say about this "rumor" is it will be very clear in late Dec./early January whether the shutdown happened. The reporting of Tesla China manufacturing is more transparent than anywhere in the Tesla world. Like some others have said, the credibility Reuter's and others will be very clear come early January.
Given Reuter's track record, their credibility is already close to absolute zero.

Well give us a time frame then, otherwise it allows for goalpost moving from both sides of the debate.

Name it. Go.
I thought I was clear but to erase any doubt, if it was happening, (which means I don't know for sure that it is), expecting immediate reflection of it in sales considering the existing backlog does not seem reasonable. I don't know what Elon will do on a daily basis so I can't predict how his unknown future behavior might influence demand at some point in the future. All we do know is some non zero number of customers have been turned off to the brand because of his actions, I don't know if it's enough to show up in sales at some point.

Despite Q4 China price cuts & recent year-end incentives, I estimate that Tesla's profit/car will increase from $14.3K to $14.6K (Q3 to Q4).
Additionally, 2023 China price cuts are possible without deteriorating the consolidated global profit per car.
I will post some supporting charts in the finance thread later tomorrow.

View attachment 884493

I provided more details to this chart here: Gross Profit Per Car Details