Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I thought funds were going to buy Tesla this week so that they have TSLA on their books for their annual reports etc. Maybe 20% chance that will happen in next 3 days following biggest treeforest shakefire ever.

HOWEVER, is it possible that the reverse is happening? Elon's name is so toxic they want him off their books for the report?

I don't think so but who knows. RIVN down 7.3% today and 38% in a month suggests it is nothing personal.

Whatever, we are 3 days away from a firebreak. Can't come quickly enough.

Yeah, no one is buying TSLA to window dress. They're selling it.

Window dressing is a strategy used by mutual fund and other portfolio managers to improve the appearance of a fund's performance before presenting it to clients or shareholders. To window dress, the fund manager sells stocks with large losses and purchases high-flying stocks near the end of the quarter or year.

From my perspective Elon has been quite clear that he separates the "Company" from the "Shares" and has repeatedly warned investors that if they don't care for volatility, don't buy TSLA.

His goal is for the Company to accelerate the transition to renewable energy. He appreciates the shareholders and has done his best to reward them, but the mission comes first! I've understood this from owning my first share. The fact that he doesn't spend an inordinate amount of time pandering to the shareholders is a plus in my book.

He has stated that he expects shareholders to benefit from his latest purchase in some way. So, he is aware and does consider the shareholders. Sometimes his messages are cryptic and sometimes not understood until after the fact presents itself, but I have yet to see any suggestion that he has ever done anything purposefully to disregard TSLA shareholders.

As for brand damage, just watch the quarterly production and delivery reports. Then, wait patiently for those numbers to somehow support this popular myth. Once there is a shred of evidence to lend itself to this lovely story let us know. Until then, avoid speaking about brand damage as if some significant portion of the population feels the same way you do. Every measurable indication is that they do not.

i have zero problems with his execution and frankly i could not care less about short term noise. Elon is a genius and there is nobody like him and i have been a huge fan since 2014. i do see him as someone who has allowed success to go to his head and started making decisions which are in his own best interest over that of his shareholders as evidenced by numerous actions over last several months already well publicized. . Even then, role of CEO is to be the biggest advocate and guardian angel of his/her company instead of acting against or failing to act in best interests of ALL shareholders. Tesla does not belong to Elon anymore. neither does it belong to LTBH investors only. CEO has a fiduciary duty not to engage in any conduct or actions which cause serious brand damage.
i have zero desire to blame Elon for temporary decline in my personal wealth. i have been around a long time and have zero problems making millions in a very short time. There are retail shareholders on margin who probably got wiped out thanks to his haphazard stock sales breaking $200 floor; this fellow has zero empathy and further continues to engage in wilful conduct which may cause serious loss of confidence in Tesla by institutional shareholders as well as brand damage.
i would 100% love to be wrong and if Elon comes up with a great quarter and continues to execute then why, no one will be happier than me. my philosophy is to make money rather than to be right. on the other hand if Elon continues on this destructive path then his 14% stake in Tesla might not be enough to save his job if big institutional holders decide to replace him.
I vouched for you just 2 weeks ago and you have blown up yet again. To say nothing of the lack of capitals at the start of a sentence - tut... We are all finding it tough and you have lost more than most. However, others are feeling it much worse. Stay cool and you will be valued. WS crooks are to blame.

Negative discussion on Elon. These might suit:

Elon & Twitter
Elon Musk
Next Tesla CEO/COO
Who will be the new TWTR CEO?

Ona certain social media platform i see several individuals/bots cheering stock price decline in Tesla and calling it opportunity of a lifetime and actually thanking CEO for providing them this great buying opportunity.
well, in that case $60 is not far off and i hope they keep on getting more buying opps like today over next several years.
clearly, i was wrong about Elon. all the guy wants to do is provide more buying opportunities to his fans.

Ona certain social media platform i see several individuals/bots cheering stock price decline in Tesla and calling it opportunity of a lifetime and actually thanking CEO for providing them this great buying opportunity.
well, in that case $60 is not far off and i hope they keep on getting more buying opps like today over next several years.
clearly, i was wrong about Elon. all the guy wants to do is provide more buying opportunities to his fans.
WSB on Reddit?

If Tesla turned on all of those spigots and were selling their vehicles in anything like the fashion the rest of the industry, does anybody doubt the reckless unit growth we'd see? (not a typo :p)

Reckless unit growth? I'm not following you. Where would Tesla get the additional units to sell that they are not already selling?

I vouched for you just 2 weeks ago and you have blown up yet again. To say nothing of the lack of capitals at the start of a sentence - tut... We are all finding it tough and you have lost more than most. However, others are feeling it much worse. Stay cool and you will be valued. WS crooks are to blame.

Negative discussion on Elon. These might suit:

Elon & Twitter
Elon Musk
Next Tesla CEO/COO
Who will be the new TWTR CEO?
okay
sounds a bit condescending though but i am sure i am mistaken

Thought this interesting - Chinese auto stocks are dropping quite a bit in Wednesday trading, even as the indices over there are up a decent amount.

Shares of Chinese auto makers plunged as growing COVID-19 outbreaks across China halted vehicle production, triggering delivery cuts and sparking worries of a sales decline in the world’s biggest car market.

Electric-vehicle makers XPeng Inc. 9868, -8.85%, Li Auto Inc. 2015, -6.29% and NIO Inc. 9866, -9.84% dropped by as much as 9.0%, 8.4% and 11%, respectively, in Hong Kong. Shenzhen-listed BYD Co. 002594, -2.96% shed as much as 3.5% in Wednesday morning trading.

The losses followed U.S. rival Tesla Inc.’s TSLA, -11.41% 11% decline overnight after the EV maker extended the production suspension at its Shanghai plant due to surging COVID-19 infections.

NIO on Tuesday cut its fourth-quarter delivery estimate, citing pandemic-related production challenges and continued supply-chain constraints.
“As most Chinese citizens have been affected by Covid before Jan re-opening, we recognize major mid-high-level new energy vehicle brands’ weekly delivery were pulled back,” Citi analysts said in a note.

COVID-19 infections have surged in China in recent weeks after Beijing pivoted from its zero-COVID policy, taking down workers at car manufacturers and their suppliers.
Tesla supplier Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. 300750, -2.13%, the world’s largest EV battery maker, dropped 3.9% in China.

For anyone here worrying about TSLA lately... I suggest to watch this video.

It's a talk given by the legendary investor Peter Lynch. After watching it, think about what's going on with TSLA and let's discuss again.

I see far too many posts here worrying about TSLA based on nothing but opinions or SP. Giga Shanghai taking a vacation... there must be something wrong with demand. Sure... I am not very confident about the Chinese economy given what's going on. But ultimately, what we need to focus is FACTS and nothing else.

Whenever I read FUDs, I don't just totally disregard it... that'd be stupid. I would analyze it how much fact is there in the message and what do that fact tell me? Most FUD hit pieces aren't complete BS. As a matter of fact, they put as much truth as they can possibly fit in there, but phrase it in a way to fit their narratives.

I'm not interested in any narrative. I only focus on facts. I then use the facts to draw my own conclusion.

I'm pretty sure that folks said many things like that about SpaceX, and Tesla too, and we all know how they turned out.

"So, yeah." - Elon Musk

Talk IS cheap. Just because most people can't visualize the potential of these projects as he starts them isn't proof that it isn't a good idea. In fact, the fact that nobody else can see the potential will be true of nearly every disruptive and revolutionary break from the status quo.

You do Moo, and Elon will do Elon
Yea, remember back when they all laughed at him...?

Regardless, here are 6 Reasons Why I Wouldn't Touch Tesla's IPO:

1. So far, the company has built all of 1000 cars and generated roughly $100 million in revenue. Post IPO, according to my calculations, the company will have taken in more than $1.1 billion in capital, federal loan included. Assuming it's going to need all that cash to ramp up, if not more, well, let's just say breakeven's going to take a while ... a long while.
  2. Tesla's current plan leaves a one year gap, between canceling its current Roadster in 2011 and beginning to produce its $50,000-ish Model S sedan in 2012, when it will have nothing to sell. Maybe it can sell lithium ion batteries through its dealerships. Don't think so.
  3. The company has burned through over $230 million and lost money every quarter since its inception in 2003. And its burn-rate is only going to skyrocket as it ramps up to production volumes.
  4. Musk actually splits his time between Tesla and SpaceX, where he's CEO and CTO of the commercial space launch vehicle company that has a $1.6 billion contract with Nasa to produce the next space shuttle. He's also chairman of SolarCity, a solar panel installation company. Admittedly, he's a workaholic, but still, I've never heard of a company with so many challenges at such a critical stage having a part-time CEO.
  5. While I'm impressed with what Toyota accomplished at the highly-acclaimed NUMMI plant before GM abandoned it, it's a huge plant that costs a lot to operate in an expensive state in an expensive country. And Tesla has by no means figured out how it's going to make money executing its current business plan, shaky as it is.
  6. I do think the Model S sedan may be marketable at $50K, although Tesla isn't quite clear what it'll cost to make. In any case, especially in this economy, how many buyers can there really be for the six-figure electric Roadster that's essentially a novelty vehicle? And if it is in demand, guess what? There's already competition: Mercedes now has its SLS EV on sale worldwide, plus there's the former BMW designer's company, Fisker Automotive. That's serious competition.
Talk about troll hard lmao. Oh and that competition, that SLS sold like 9 cars lol. PPL need to look back to the past to see what serious BS Musk and co. were going up against. And in a lot of ways its the same now, wth does he know about texting and software huh? HUH??

Seeing this in twitter about raising short interest in TSLA (Dated 2022-12-23), anyone can compare how many are there vs previous records?

short.JPG

I’m not sure if this is common knowledge, but Sir Isaac Newton—one of the worlds most renowned scientists and mathematicians—was into alchemy. Not like “Alchemy is just chemistry”, but alchemy as in “I’m going to make the Philosophers stone, transmute lead into gold, and gain immortality”.

It wasn’t like he went over the deep end one day and went senile after he was the bad-ass scientist and mathematician he is known for being, he was both into the absurd—alchemy—and he was one of the greatest thinkers of all times. All… at the same time.

Newton kept his alchemy a dark secret because it was hugely controversial, illegal, and dangerous to dabble in alchemy (because… immortality and turning lead into gold is worth a couple bucks). But he wrote long treatises and transcribed books into his personal library in code.

Top thinker of his time. A little bit looney on the side. But still went down in history as one of the greatest minds of his time. When we talk about walking on the shoulders of giants… he is one of them.

Heard this on a podcast. Not usually the sort of thing I would share here, but I feel it’s appropriate. Take away your own interpretations.