Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? Elon is mocking a tweet by Medvedev - who has become the Russian personification of The Onion with his ever more absurd statements - and he is being roasted for it here, because it would be amplifying propaganda… As if any sane person outside of Russia would fall for that garbage. It’s fine to be critical of Elon’s tweets, but this is looking for things that just aren’t there. This thread is so lacking in humor that it’s sad.
Can we at least agree that applying this method to things (ie engineering) and to people (ie social media management) is very very different? You can stress things until they work, iterating a million times. Things are inanimate and they have no memory.
People, on the other hand, do. They see you treat them like guinea pigs and get offended/confused/mad.
I totally believe Elon thinks this method applies to everything, but it doesn't. You can't A/B test educating a child, for example.

If I make a mistake with a person that change things between us. At least I have to apologise, not all mistakes are irreversible of course. But some might benefit
I think an excess of exclamation points is a tell
Seriously? Elon is mocking a tweet by Medvedev - who has become the Russian personification of The Onion with his ever more absurd statements - and he is being roasted for it here, because it would be amplifying propaganda… As if any sane person outside of Russia would fall for that garbage. It’s fine to be critical of Elon’s tweets, but this is looking for things that just aren’t there. This thread is so lacking in humor that it’s sad.
Now I know how establishment republicans felt when they kept pointing at Trump’s behavior and waiting for normalcy to return to the mean. Does it really need to be explained that a car executive or head of Twitter should not be mocking or trolling or trading tweets with fascists?

Isn't Musk supposedly working a gazillion hours/week? I somewhat doubt that, given the time he spends on such twaddle.
I think he is working too hard. Sleep deprivation would explain a lot. IMO, it makes perfect sense to blow off steam when one is working ridiculous hours. Unfortunately, the very public, controversial, and self-destructive way Elon has chosen to blow off steam is probably creating much more stress than it's relieving.

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and JRP3
I think he is working too hard. Sleep deprivation would explain a lot. IMO, it makes perfect sense to blow off steam when one is working ridiculous hours. Unfortunately, the very public, controversial, and self-destructive way Elon has chosen to blow off steam is probably creating much more stress than it's relieving.
And, like my chilldren, he thinks playing on social media is "work".

Show us where Elon "mocked"?

The software industry has come a long way from the early wild-west days of Paypal.
Again, only a little Musk & Twitter, but what the hell. Threads wander.

PayPal early days were long, long past the early wild west days of the software industry. By that time the industry had been through a plethora of Methodologies and management theories and endless iterations on "how can we get our great programmers to somehow cause all the other programmers to write great code?".

Fred Brooks had written The Mythical Man-month in the 70's. I had been programming professionally for over 25 years by the time X.com was renamed to PayPal. The dot com boom/bust was over. Hardly anybody even knew how to write assembly code any more. Wild west? More like Levittown.

But to bring it back around, I have little doubt that there's lots of awful code at Twitter. Code gets that way after a while. But as rationales and designs are rarely adequately documented and test suites succumb to bit rot too, if you just rewrite it you'll find yourself having to fix all the same old bugs all over again. And it will probably take just as long.

The "software industry" remains pretty much a joke when it comes to serious engineering. Why would Twitter be any different?

I meant software industry related to internet.
Not much different. The distributed programming and RPC wars had been fought and re-fought by the '90s. Remember CORBA! The internet had been around since the early '80s. Even before that if you were playing around with APRANET.

The sad thing about programming is that there have been very few truly new ideas since the '60s. Those people were hella clever and invented all sorts of things that couldn't even be done yet. Before my time.

But even I got to build compilers that had only 32K of RAM available to run. Got a replay of that later on (in the '90s) trying to program smart cards that had more like 32 bytes of RAM.

There's very little new or interesting about the "software industry related to internet". Lots of same old same old. Just lots more "programmers" who have no clue how anything works underneath. But never mind. Soon enough some iteration of ChatGPT will be writing all their code instead. That will be interesting.

png-transparent-facepalm-meme-uss-arizona-scale-meme-hand-head-meme-thumbnail.png

I think an excess of exclamation points is a tell
I agree only partially, in the sense that a tweet like
"Epic thread!!"
it's not crystal clear. Many people, including me, given previous Elon comments, were dubious on how to interpret it.

Elon made it clear 3-4 hours later. There's plenty of time for the doubt to spread.
I still think that 2-words trollish humor is not Elon best skill, and given how badly people now look at him doesn't really work to clear things up.

It's also because tweets like this:

Now, I'm familiar with irony and post-irony and meta-irony, as the youngsters practice nowadays.
This is why you don't always "understand" some memes, they have different "levels" of irony at play.
But if you are a 60 years old billionaire and you use the same unhinged multi-layered irony of a 15 year-old, you can't complain that then people misinterpret you. Multi-layered irony is in fact a tribal language, excluding people that understand it to people who don't (eg. "normies" and "autists"). Elon is deep in meme culture and probably doesn't even undesratand now that people simply don't get it.

The latest pick he posted about "influence" on the left is quite rich considering all the influence the right receives from various sources. I've seen some other religious people post the same thing, thinking that they're free of influence, but that is of course not the case.

In before the "haha just a joke", but this is getting even more ridiculous by the day...

As for the impact on the stock price, well it may be a good time to tax loss harvest...

I'm the barren desert when it comes to humor. Was never a fan of sarcasm and the only humor that I'm laughing at is Elon losing billions in his own stock and companies. Waiting for him to find a new Twitter CEO and realize he can't fix it (at least that's proven that Elon couldn't fix Twitter) is what I'm waiting for. But maybe that'll take a few more months or a year.

Having random crazy threads of war in Ukraine, Racism, Covid deaths, Fighting woke, LGBT stuff and tossing random memes/jokes/comments is not funny to me and seems a waste of his time to even engage.

It's Elon being Elon I suppose, but I don't see/care for that type of humor.

If you say 'epic thread!' in reaction to a series of tweets that are utterly ridiculous but also funny, and people here do not see the sarcasm in that, then I give up. I'll say it again: this thread is a barren desert when it comes to humor.

Here I thought everyone interpreted limited information in some sort of context, like, say, previous tweets.

This thread is clear evidence that there are people more than willing to ignore/justify any behavior, while exclaiming "jokes" or "4D chess" no matter how erratic he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.