Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this imply? (Asking for a friend who is a non-native speaker)
This page doesnt have any Tesla's on it.

As of now only Ford, Nissan, Stellantis, and Rivian vehicles listed. Says to check back for additions to this list.

AWE SNAP!
Treasury update:
https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1179
All vehicles other than sub compacts are not limited by the incremental cost clause for commercial clean vehicles, full $7,500 available for GVWR < 14k pounds (if BEV cost is >25k)
Vehicles >14k pounds are in a Department of Energy document not yet released.

Edit: also includes very preliminary thoughts on the mineral/ component aspects of the IRA https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/30DWhite-Paper.pdf
This is fun, confusing and a bit terrifying to read.

Fun part - Tesla totally qualifies for all of this, even before the final March 2023 details are announced. But I think everyone already knows that. Please comment on specifics if you feel differently as it clearly calls out things that Tesla is already doing well above the required percentages.

And per this, it would seem we are about to get announcements about the new Tesla factories in Canada and Mexico

"For purposes of both the critical mineral and the battery component requirements, Treasury and the IRS anticipate proposing that North America means the territory of the United States, Canada, and Mexico as defined in 19 C.F.R. part 182, Appendix A, § 1(1)."

Confusing part - Lots of details remain (slated for March 2023) and the wording is like a multi-nested IF/THEN loop statement. 4-step value of battery components process and a 3-step critical mineral requirement which somehow includes foil? WTF?

That brings me to the terrifying part - The gov is going to have to oversee all of this and I can't even imagine how much 'gaming the system' is going to occur over the next decade. This seems way overly complex and super difficult to manage. For instance, try to think about how you'd manage to calculate value based on this description.

"Value -- Value means the arm’s-length price that was paid or would be paid for the property by an unrelated purchaser determined in accordance with the principles of section 482 and regulations thereunder."

As of now only Ford, Nissan, Stellantis, and Rivian vehicles listed. Says to check back for additions to this list.

That page lists cars made in 2021, 2022, and 2023. Interesting that they'll allow the $7,500 credit on a car mad in a prior year.

Fun part - Tesla totally qualifies for all of this, even before the final March 2023 details are announced. But I think everyone already knows that. Please comment on specifics if you feel differently as it clearly calls out things that Tesla is already doing well above the required percentages.

And per this, it would seem we are about to get announcements about the new Tesla factories in Canada and Mexico

"For purposes of both the critical mineral and the battery component requirements, Treasury and the IRS anticipate proposing that North America means the territory of the United States, Canada, and Mexico as defined in 19 C.F.R. part 182, Appendix A, § 1(1)."

Confusing part - Lots of details remain (slated for March 2023) and the wording is like a multi-nested IF/THEN loop statement. 4-step value of battery components process and a 3-step critical mineral requirement which somehow includes foil? WTF?

That brings me to the terrifying part - The gov is going to have to oversee all of this and I can't even imagine how much 'gaming the system' is going to occur over the next decade. This seems way overly complex and super difficult to manage. For instance, try to think about how you'd manage to calculate value based on this description.

"Value -- Value means the arm’s-length price that was paid or would be paid for the property by an unrelated purchaser determined in accordance with the principles of section 482 and regulations thereunder."
Weird thing is the page with the specific vehicles appears to be sourced by the manufacturers. In other words the manufacturers indicated which of their vehicles are eligible.

"Qualified Manufacturers of the vehicles listed below have indicated that the vehicles are currently eligible for a credit provided other requirements are met. Check back for additions to this list."

Did Tesla not provide the information needed to get included?

Reactions: tslalala
Probably a pack of lies, as it's Reuters, but they claim Manchin is trying to delay the IRA introduction:

Didn't realise this idiot was the chair of the "Energy and Natural Resources Committee", great idea to put a coal-shill in charge of that

What does this imply? (Asking for a friend who is a non-native speaker)
Companies can buy or least a (non-Semi) Tesla can get a $7,500 tax credit regardless of what goes on with the other section of the bill which is:

Right, because it's self reported. Page is only informative, not regulating.

Weird thing is the page with the specific vehicles appears to be sourced by the manufacturers. In other words the manufacturers indicated which of their vehicles are eligible.

"Qualified Manufacturers of the vehicles listed below have indicated that the vehicles are currently eligible for a credit provided other requirements are met. Check back for additions to this list."

Yeah, or didn't bother to since the list doesn't matter.

Me thinks by design... Tesla was never asked, or wrong eMail? Dark money must hate this bill (except GM who gets another shot at it having past 200K units sold in US). Reminds me of the Self-driving Top 10 lists in recent past - also devoid of Tesla in any lists.

Companies can buy or least a (non-Semi) Tesla can get a $7,500 tax credit regardless of what goes on with the other section of the bill which is:

Right, because it's self reported. Page is only informative, not regulating.

Yeah, or didn't bother to since the list doesn't matter.
Oh.... on that last part... unless it's cleared up somehow, it will get quoted. The motivation is perfectly real and obvious - no discounts on Tesla's will drive some away. I do think it matters on Stock Price, not delivery numbers and maybe what you meant.

IMO Rob is a treasure to the community who sometimes sticks his neck out in public and generally takes responsibility when he has been wrong, unlike many of the toxic bull "influencers" on social media.
I tend to agree and have supported Rob, on Patreon, for years, as he has been the single point of consistency throughout the Tesla roller-coaster experience.

However, there is a sense now of continued vigilance in the face of very difficult context, lack of critical details, non-native translation issues and timezone delays. It is important to realize when you don't have enough good trusted information to make a judgement/discernment.

My biggest issue currently is that it is currently unknown what exactly will be the gov discounts on hybrids and BEVs (partially) in China starting Jan 1st. To the best of my Google foo, this is wholly unknown and material to what is happening currently in China. And on top of that, what is the state of gov discounts in every other country? Even in the US, this is NOT well understood.

Do you think Tesla knows better than us? I'd bet my life savings on it.

Do I think Rob generally has a better handle on this than just about anyone else? Yeah, pretty much always.

Sadly Rob Maurer was still saying even yesterday on his Tesla Daily podcast that he can't see any way that the situation in China could be due to anything except a drop in demand. SMH.
I happen to trust Rob a lot, watch him still, but some conclusions don't always turn out. I'm the king of examples there. Have you ever drawn wrong conclusions, then posted it here?

I do think this China noise was orchestrated as a head fake (rumor allowed to fester), and delivered intentionally to catch shortz off guard. And it worked to a degree, Reuters helped a lot. I also think more is in store for us.
The jury is still out.

There are confusing signals from China ... could be because of softening demand (at current price level), changes coming in Jan, Covid response etc.

We'll know what happened in Q4 in a few days .... but Q1 '23 is going to set the record straight.

Probably a pack of lies, as it's Reuters, but they claim Manchin is trying to delay the IRA introduction:

Didn't realise this idiot was the chair of the "Energy and Natural Resources Committee", great idea to put a coal-shill in charge of that
in related "news" from our friends at Reuters,

Prices of used Teslas are falling faster than those of other carmakers and the clean-energy status symbols are languishing in dealer lots longer, industry data provided to Reuters showed.

The average price for a used Tesla in November was $55,754, down 17% from a July peak of $67,297. The overall used car market posted a 4% drop during that period, according to Edmunds data. The used Teslas were in dealer inventory for 50 days on average in November, compared with 38 days for all used cars.

in related "news" from our friends at Reuters,

I read this part, what a joke... more like the coal enrichment committee char.

"Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee chair Joe Manchin"

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC