Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it make any sense for CT to Australia?
CT would be HUGE in Thailand -- they love big pickups there, and I suspect too in lots of SE Asia. And for autos, SEA has a lot of protectionist policies (which often allow things made anywhere in Asia including China), so making it in China would let them sell it for a reasonable price, while making it in the US for import would not.

CT needs to hit the US first. US has to be, by far, the biggest market for trucks on earth. Just fulfilling the demand in the US will take a couple of years if the waiting list is as long as it's rumored to be.

All other markets will have to wait.
Didn't Franz say that they we're including the learnings from the CT in their new RT platform? The only learnings I can see from designing and building a CT is how to build another CT. 🙂

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I doubt there's enough demand for the CT outside the US to warrant an overseas factory, it would be much more efficient to simply make more CT's in Austin (build a second line maybe) and export them.

No, if this is a Tesla press and it is indeed going to China then I feel it must be for something other than CT. The 3/Y don't need it, neither would the S/X, so it's most likely for a NEW vehicle IMHO. Which would be the compact car, or Gen3 car. Or the Model Q. :p
The demand in Europe for CyberTruck is huge. Many people I wasn't expecting it from want one and even I'm attracted. Most fall into the narrative that Europe is no truck continent which was true before the CT was revealed. Many are attracted and Tesla won't be able to ship enough from the US.

IMO we need a CT production line in Europe.

CT would be HUGE in Thailand -- they love big pickups there, and I suspect too in lots of SE Asia. And for autos, SEA has a lot of protectionist policies (which often allow things made anywhere in Asia including China), so making it in China would let them sell it for a reasonable price, while making it in the US for import would not.
I see a big problem in how narrow the streets in Asia are, even a scaled down version of CT would not be practical in Asia for the masses.

Folks should remember that original reports in March 2021 were that the Gigapress for CT was an 8,000T unit:

Check Out Tesla's Cybertruck Giga Press: It Exerts A Mammoth 8,000 Tons | InsideEVs (Mar 19, 2021)

Tesla’s first 8k-ton Giga Press for Cybertruck production showcased in new video

It's possible Tesla had the 8,000 ton Gigapress, while not yet in use for production since other factors seem to be in the critical path (ie: 4680 cell production ramp).

That means the new 9,000 Ton Gigapress delivered to Giga Texas last week could be for the Gen 3 car, and another 9Kt Gigapress is planned for Tesla China's Gen 3 product.

I expect we'll know more after March 1st... ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
I see a big problem in how narrow the streets in Asia are, even a scaled down version of CT would not be practical in Asia for the masses.
1673292525026.png

Big cities like Bangkok seem to have adequate lane sizes on the main routes. Off-roading in rural areas might be handy.

Thailand has the world's deadliest roads - mainly due to motorbiking with no helmets though. Tesla's are very safe, I could see a demand, but the masses need something really cheap.

Folks should remember that original reports in March 2021 were that the Gigapress for CT was an 8,000T unit:

Check Out Tesla's Cybertruck Giga Press: It Exerts A Mammoth 8,000 Tons | InsideEVs (Mar 19, 2021)

It's possible that Tesla had the 8,000 ton Gigapress while not yet in production, since it other factors were seem to be in the critical path of the CT Gant chart.

That means the new 9,000 Ton Gigapress delivered to Giga Texas last week could be for the Gen 3 car, and another 9Kt press will go to Tesla China for its Gen 3 product.

Cheers to the Longs!
If they stole the Gigapress for the Cybertruck and gave it to the Gen3 product I think there would be pitchforks.

On the other hand, we’ve been seeing a lot of Gigapress parts landing in Texas. Maybe they are bringing 2 online there? One for the G3 and one for the Cybertruck?

Talk about stealing a march. I was thinking just getting the one going in China would be huge. This would be monstrous.

PS: I’m thinking potential here folks, not predicting any of this. Not enough evidence for any of it.

View attachment 893968
Big cities like Bangkok seem to have adequate lane sizes on the main routes. Off-roading in rural areas might be handy.

Thailand has the world's deadliest roads - mainly due to motorbiking with no helmets though. Tesla's are very safe, I could see a demand, but the masses need something really cheap.
Thailand/Asia/Africa needs CyberTuk.(tuktuk)!!

This happens entirely too much.

If there is something interesting in the embed **SAY IT**. I’ve watched the spinny wheel as this thing failed to load and then watched some crappy low-res video twice and gotten zero from it.

What do you think this video means? Is it that hard to type a sentence for context?
You are right, I definitely was in bad form on that post, it's a faux pas I've called others on so I have no excuse not to call it on myself.

The conversation is at reddit.com/r/cybertruck/comments/106s3dv/this_guy_found_pricing_info_on_his_ct_order_page/

and is just reaction to a short video of someones phone showing the status of their cybertruck order and showing the price the app shows. original tri-motor price $69,900 + $7k (in 2019) upcharge for FSD.

Basically the context is it's a video that has gone viral and it's only significance is that it went viral.

Tesla’s first 8k-ton Giga Press for Cybertruck production showcased in new video

It's possible Tesla had the 8,000 ton Gigapress, while not yet in use for production since other factors seem to be in the critical path (ie: 4680 cell production ramp).

That means the new 9,000 Ton Gigapress delivered to Giga Texas last week could be for the Gen 3 car, and another 9Kt Gigapress is planned for Tesla China's Gen 3 product.

Cheers to the Longs!
If we are seeing a 2nd 9k press being sent to China then I think that's the explanation that makes the most sense. If the CT needs an 8k press, then a 9k press suggests a single piece casting.

That will turn heads for sure.

Basically the context is it's a video that has gone viral and it's only significance is that it went viral.
Thanks, didn’t mean to be snippy.

In spite of it’s polarizing nature, tons of hate from the trad media, and delays… Cybertruck remains the most anticipated EV ever.

Rest of the industry is scratching their heads trying to figure out how to replicate Tesla’s buzz-machine.

Would it make any sense for CT to Australia?
It would make perfect sense believe me, its truck crazy down in Oz, I'm surrounded by them, they're the most popular cars sold here, the CT will fly of the shelves, a neigbour 2 doors up from me has an F-150 and said to me recently he'd get one in a heart beat if orders open again?

Cheers to the Longs!
8K ton wording was used for a few months Q1 2021 by teslerati but after that period its all 9K.

Musk has talked in the past about the need for at least an 8,000-ton option for the Cybertruck

And then when it was eventually ready for production all we have is 9K now.

For a while.... :)
He was right about demand in China, and they made a move to cut prices. I don’t think anyone is arguing that Tesla can’t do things to bring in demand if it falters at certain price points.

Not sure if it has been mentioned here yet but Troy thinks the inventory listings themselves are understated because Tesla doesn’t list the many multiples of each configuration, he thinks you need to multiply the number by about 10.

I’m focusing moreso on the trend rather than the absolute numbers. US Model Y inventory was at about 800 last quarter when Tesla decided to bring in the discounts, and then inventory cleared out. Within a week of the discounts being removed in the new year, it appears that inventory is back at that level.

Model 3 inventory is growing now as well. I guess it’s not surprising considering these vehicles were $7500 cheaper a week ago with no associated IRA complexity.

Reactions: NooB_cat
SolarEdge would be the biggest brand. They are the people who used to supply the inverter Tesla used to use in the original Powerwalls. You can get them in USA.

(Disclosure : I used to know the founders professionally, one sadly now deceased. We had discussed collaborating on a product design of ours/mine. They couldn't meet the specs we needed. So there is a possibility I have bias though I think not.)
I’ve been actively looking for solutions. Purely searching the web and looking at top sites linked by Google, here is what I find. I’ll update on what I find out as I’m getting quotes etc.
- Most sites list Tesla, Generac, Panasonic, LG systems.
- Most OEMs and installers are pushing for solar + battery backup. Very difficult to find info on just battery backup.
- Prices are similar. About $10k for ~10 kWh system. So called cheaper solutions are just not easy to find, infact I have not found any yet.
- Ecoflow seems to be popular among non- big brands, but still about the same price.
- SolarEdge has terrible reviews (2.5/5 !)