Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why you'd want to stare at a Tesla logo for ~69 hours, but that's an option now because the link to the Investors Day stream is live:

Somehow this came to mind:

Presumably
Why do you say that? I can still place an order for a Model S right now: Design Your Model S | Tesla

View attachment 911996
You can even get a sizeable discount choosing a like new demo ... presumably there will be an incentive program if you want to swap it for a HW4 newer model. Tough choices, same as computers, the next model is better for not much more, but it's not yet available.

Screenshot_20230227-173504.png

Last edited:
EV market share does still matter in an of itself. That is because it is easier to keep customers than to capture or regain them. One can argue about how much, but the effect is there.
But if the market size is growing faster than Tesla's overall share is decreasing, than the total number of customers is increasing, right?

So what customers is it that Tesla is needing to regain?

Last edited:
Presumably

You can even get a sizeable discount choosing a like new demo ... presumably there will be an incentive program if you want to swap it for a HW4 newer model. Tough choices, same as computers, the next model is better for not much more, but it's not yet available.

View attachment 912061
If you filter by 19" wheels you can get 405 miles range for <$84K.
Screenshot_20230227_175222_Chrome.jpg

Scale will come with new emergent properties for the EV market. The fact that the rest of the market is currently growing EV production faster than Tesla does not necessarily indicate that this will still be happening one or two orders of magnitude later. Too many people are extrapolating the recent trend without understanding why it's been happening and why it will probably change.

We have zero conclusive evidence that anybody else besides Tesla is making money on selling EVs yet. Unless and until this changes, other major EV players literally can't afford to continue outpacing Tesla's 50-60% CAGR much longer. If they tried then they'd exponentially increase their losses and go bankrupt. It's that simple. Therefore, it's absurd for the market to be looking at EV market share trends without carefully considering this context.

When Tesla is making 10M vehicles in ~2028, will the rest of the industry make 20M? I really doubt it unless somebody else figures out how to do so profitably even as Tesla ratchets up the pressure on competitors year after year with growing demand, industry-leading economies of scale, and amazing cost optimization. I follow this like a full-time job and I see no sign of Tesla's giant cost and value proposition advantage shrinking for the foreseeable future.

Also, in the last year Tesla's growth rate relative to the everyone else has been temporarily suppressed by two short-term factors:

1) S/X refresh ramp​
2) Growth mostly coming from Berlin and Texas both being in low-rate initial production​

Superficial EV market share analysis misses this context too. Shanghai and Fremont have been putting out pretty close to maximum capacity for the last year, and so there was nowhere for major growth to come from. Now we're getting close to what should be the steepest part of the ramp for Berlin and Texas. This means the CAGR should accelerate in the next two years or so.
I agree. Most other competitors are just learning to build EVs and are throwing money at this new venture. After a couple of years, some players will naturally drop out of the race and most others will fall behind, while Tesla continues to grow production rate. If this vision is realized, Tesla will re-gain EV market share. If EV market share by Tesla continues declining in the next 5 years, perhaps things are not going so well for Tesla. Thus there is value in following EV market share. It's ok to be optimistic, but I'd rather be cautiously so.

Can we stop using marketshare as some kind of credible measurement? It's only useful until after equilibrium has established. Before that date, it's kind of pointless.
If Tesla decides to actually introduce a low end model, then its market share could be quite large for some time. But if its new introductions consist of the CT, the semi, a refreshed M3, the new roadster and a low volume robotaxi, its market share will eventually stabilize at somewhere between 10 and 20%, based on what Apple achieved. This slice of the pie would still represent an enormous automotive company, probably topping out, as Elon has said, at 20 M/ yr by 2030 or so.

Remember our old friend Nikola...

Wow! :eek:

Never saw that failure coming down the hill...
so to speak. 🚚

😏

yes, of course this is ironical sarcasm, what else? (and I know "ironical" is just a Bush-ism)

We have zero conclusive evidence that anybody else besides Tesla is making money on selling EVs yet. Unless and until this changes, other major EV players literally can't afford to continue outpacing Tesla's 50-60% CAGR much longer. If they tried then they'd exponentially increase their losses and go bankrupt. It's that simple. Therefore, it's absurd for the market to be looking at EV market share trends without carefully considering this context.
This is exactly it right here.

We are rapidly approaching a gate where companies that cannot produce EVs at a reasonable cost will no longer exist. On the one side is a vast green field with tons of potential. On the other side is an ossified industry which is shrinking by the year. Talking about how many unprofitable EVs companies can sell is irrelevant. In a few years those ICE revenues dry up and can no longer subsidize their failing EV efforts.

has been pretty safe for me ... 🤷‍♂️

time for the aggressive legal team

Last edited:
Somehow, someway, through the forces of the universe, whenever $TSLA has a decent up day, articles like this seem to magically appear 🥴 🥴