Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian earnings.
How is NKLA holding "steady" as they say? And it's actually up 1/2% in pre-market today. What else besides a Semi do they produce that would make up for continued losses?

View attachment 912234

View attachment 912235

Oh... Oh... Oh... may I suggest one?
In the long run Nikola is down like 96%. Don't look at the day to day. The day to day tells you AMC is the stock to buy

The simple solutions are disappearing for Tesla. Now there is logistics and more logistics.
Can't wait until The Boring Company digs tunnels under both the Atlantic and the Pacific! Now that will improve logistics. Pick up your car in the US and literally drive it home.

/s... but is it?

View attachment 912355

Engineers at Toyota recently conducted a teardown study of the Tesla Model Y: "Taking the skin off the Model Y, it was truly a truly work of art," said one Toyota executive who scrutinized the Tesla part by part. "It's unbelievable."

View attachment 912356
Now all they have to do is catch up.

I always liked Toyota and appreciated the Prius they brought to market.

The last gas car I drove before I bought a Model S in 2013 was a 1997 Toyota Camry which served me for well for years after I purchased it used.

I was sad to see that they seemed to be headed to oblivion with their absolute refusal to jump on BEVs the past few years. And they were on board as investors in the early days of Tesla! I knew they would not disappear as a bailout was always guaranteed, but it looked increasingly desperate.

They have a lot of work to do, but if they are really engaging and embracing the tear down as advertised above they should have a shot. Go to it, Toyota!

Rivian Q4 numbers (pdf)

"We generated negative gross profit of $(1,000) million for the fourth quarter 2022. For fiscal year 2022, we generated negative gross profit of $(3,123) million. Gross profit for the fourth quarter 2022 was impacted by a lower of cost or net realizable value (“LCNRV”) of inventory charge and losses on firm purchase commitments of $920 million as of December 31, 2022 compared to $95 million as of December 31, 2021. We expect to continue to incur these charges throughout 2023 but anticipate the total charge will decline as we drive down cost of goods sold per vehicle by lowering material, production, logistics, and other costs. We forecast reaching positive gross profit in 2024 and therefore expect that by the end of 2024, we will no longer have material LCNRV inventory charges and losses on firm purchase commitments associated with our Normal facility."

Can't wait until The Boring Company digs tunnels under both the Atlantic and the Pacific! Now that will improve logistics. Pick up your car in the US and literally drive it home.

/s... but is it?

Bering Strait is just 55 miles wide, Alaska to Siberia. Maybe this is why Elon is is pushing for a peace deal...

Bering Strait is just 55 miles wide, Alaska to Siberia. Maybe this is why Elon is is pushing for a peace deal...
If the Chunnel is just under 32 miles, it's definitely doable. Probably easier there than between England and France since it once was a land bridge. However I doubt that's why Elon put out his peace plan...

I have grave concerns around the politics of a Mexico plant, like paying off cartels not to disrupt Tesla (or employees working at Tesla). Elon doesn’t even like paying for advertisements. Imagine paying for “stability.”
Is this something other foreign manufacturers need to do in Mexico or Nuevo León in particular?

A step in the right direction at least.

Meanwhile, Mary led again

I have grave concerns around the politics of a Mexico plant, like paying off cartels not to disrupt Tesla (or employees working at Tesla). Elon doesn’t even like paying for advertisements. Imagine paying for “stability.”

Hope I’m wrong, but I foresee a lot of headache coming from here in the future. Even before the plant was built the Mexican president tried threatening water rights to get the plant built in a “preferred” location, along with all those public leaks of negotiations coming from various Mexico regions competing for the location.
While Monterrey has had it's share of difficulty with drug cartels, specifically the Zetas, I am confident that Tesla has done its homework and found a way to mitigate this, and other challenges involved in placing a Gigafactory there. If there were difficulties, I doubt Ford would be making MachE's there.

Not updated like it says. This is exactly the same as the 7:57 AM version. Classic BS, hiding all their cards.

View attachment 912311
Open interest only gets updated once per day at 7AM EST, volume is refreshed every 15 minutes or so...

Edit: sorry, typo, 7AM, of course (13:00 CET for me)

Last edited:

Hope I’m wrong, but I foresee a lot of headache coming from here in the future. Even before the plant was built the Mexican president tried threatening water rights to get the plant built in a “preferred” location, along with all those public leaks of negotiations coming from various Mexico regions competing for the location.
Are you just creating FUD, based upon Hollywood movies you've watched?

Besides, Elon probably has a bigger weapons and security staff budget than the cartels should that become an issue.

My favorite part (almost no part).

"Even small things such as the powertrain cooling hose surprised Toyota, which Tesla shrunk from 3.5mm to 1.5mm while at the same time using a cheaper material to produce them."

(I was going to post this, but got to talking about Chuck Berry with someone here. :D )
I’m having a hard time visualizing a 3.5mm cooling hose, let alone a 1.5mm one…are these units correct?

I have to keep telling myself that Berlins first production were only March 2022 ...With nothing substantial till Q2(7,000)

I really think that Shanghai took about 5 quarters till the factory was massively effecting the earnings. I don't want to be a total turd but if Berlin isn't rip roaring 5K/week in the 60K-70K produced range by Q3 of this year ill write the whole factory off as a failure and shame German engeneering for life(again). They have the knowledge from the Shanghai ramp, should be on par with the ramp. I have faith in the team and think they can pull this off.