Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also the 800V cars are limited to slower charging rates than 400V cars, i.e. ionic, Porsche... There was the video of the guy in NY that got 62kW and said he expects to get about half of what he could get at EA, but since those are often unavailable this would be a great backup for him. This Rivian charged at 150kW which is not bad...

I wonder if v4 supercharger is different in that respect.
The 46kW was because he had a cold battery, by the end of the charge he was getting ~90kW. (Which is close to the 100kW limit of the car when charging on a "400v" CCS station.)

Taycan will be similar. Standard they come with 50kW 400v charging, but it was an option to purchase 150kW 400v charging equipment.

OFF TOPIC: I just want to say that after 10 years on this thread, many of you feel like friends and it’s a really a nice community. I’m saying this because on Thursday I have a heart surgery. I’m 67 with some childhood heart damage. Just in case you don’t ever hear back from me, it’s been great knowing you all. I think all will turn out ok. Just to remind you old timers, it was the 2012 loss of my wife to oil company refinery poisons that caused her fatal AML leukemia which made me vow to never buy gas. And so I bought my 2013 Model so as to never poison someone else’s child. It was very hard for me to afford it. And from that purchase led me to this thread. And with help of others here, I made a small fortune to leave my kids. In a weird way, the oil companies , though they shortened my wife’s life, also enriched my kids. Anyway, my surgery should be fine but just in case, thanks for the friendship!!!
I used to live in the same coastal town as Gene and he gave me (and no doubt many others) a ride-along in his Model S. Inspired me to buy my first Tesla and I now own three Model Y's and am early on the CT waiting list. Gene, you are are inspiration! Best of health through the surgery, and we will all be talking to you again soon. -Mateo-

There is VERY little actual evidence of model Y revamp, only rumour. I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover rivals are spreading such rumours to soften demand for the Y.
My October 22 Y feels like the most cutting edge car in the world. There is no urgent need for a restyling. Lower production cost (and price) is all thats needed. (Oh and actually working FSD features in Europe obviously...)

Of course Tesla is doing a refresh on the Model Y, it will be four years old next year. You have to give the market something new or it will start to wither on the vine. Doesn't hurt in the process you figure out a way to make it cheaper and keep the price the same.

I find that outlook silly. If they ramp production and lower prices I'm perfectly happy buying 2 Model Y with 2022 looks and tech. (or 2023 looks and tech, I'm not picky about what tech version they offer at this point)

I've bought 0 Tesla's to this point so I'm saying there are tons of people like me just waiting for a price drop on Model Y and we'll buy it with no other changes necessary.

Reactions: Spacep0d and JRP3
Of course Tesla is doing a refresh on the Model Y, it will be four years old next year. You have to give the market something new or it will start to wither on the vine. Doesn't hurt in the process you figure out a way to make it cheaper and keep the price the same.
The Y is their newest and most popular model, I'd expect it to be the very last one to get a redesign.

I also expect that there won’t be much of a change in stock price until people realize how important this is.

Papafox posted the Open Interest Chart (Monday 7 am ET data release):
feb28maxp.jpg

Max Pain 200

Any doubt what MMs want on Friday? (rarely seen such a clean Options breakpoint). MMs workin' it now:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-03-01.10-06.png

Mid-BB (dotted red curve above) is also right around $200, which will attract more technical traders.

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC: I just want to say that after 10 years on this thread, many of you feel like friends and it’s a really a nice community. I’m saying this because on Thursday I have a heart surgery. I’m 67 with some childhood heart damage. Just in case you don’t ever hear back from me, it’s been great knowing you all. I think all will turn out ok. Just to remind you old timers, it was the 2012 loss of my wife to oil company refinery poisons that caused her fatal AML leukemia which made me vow to never buy gas. And so I bought my 2013 Model so as to never poison someone else’s child. It was very hard for me to afford it. And from that purchase led me to this thread. And with help of others here, I made a small fortune to leave my kids. In a weird way, the oil companies , though they shortened my wife’s life, also enriched my kids. Anyway, my surgery should be fine but just in case, thanks for the friendship!!!
A hundred and eighty-five people responded to this postGene, about a hundred more than I've seen for any other post. That says something 185 times...and counting..see you back here soon.

Papafox posted the Open Interest Chart (Monday 7 am ET data release):

Any doubt what MMs want on Friday? (rarely seen such a clean Options breakpoint). MMs workin' it now:

View attachment 912570

Mid-BB (dotted red curve above) is also right around $200, which will attract more technical traders.
I just looked, and commented to the wife, "I have no idea why TSLA is going down ahead of a flattish week the day of Investor Day except the real powerful entity on the Stock Market, the MM's are executing their plan perfectly. Whatever it is.

Good luck with the surgery and best wishes on a great recovery!

It is not quite that simple. In 2021 new BEV incentives were promulgated. The specifics do include Road Tax exemptions and trade agreement modifications. Other local manufacturing and investment incentives also have a part. Hence the Tesla specifics undoubtedly have incentives for Superchargers, certainly with access to non-Tesla vehicles also, and Malaysia sourcing agreements can also yield benefits. In short the generic answers are not really relevant and thus for the Tesla specifics have not been disclosed.

Generically car import duties are 30% and local taxes 10%.

The whole Malay peninsula is now selling Tesla from Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. The first two both import many used cars from Singapore and Japan, both of which retire cars at very young age. Not too far ahead similar markets should develop for Tesla and other BEV's but that will wait for major market penetration fo BEV in both countries. Later similar processes will begin in the Indian subcontinent. As we consider Tesla future development these issues will become relevant as will the huge needs for smaller passenger cars and minivans. The tuk-tuk market BEV market is thriving in India and Thailand, while China's growth is in micro-mini cars. Those need never be Tesla's market but their growth is now beginning to drive higher level demand.

Such considerations ar obviously part of today's issues. I'll wager there will be little discussion, primarily because North Americans are the largest audience and they think a Ford F150 is small, so they are incapable of understanding China , Indian subcontinent or the Malay peninsula. Elon does so they'll be a 'silent' part of the plan

We now wait for Indonesia, themselves anxious to have Tesla, plus Philippines. Logistically Indonesia and Philippines are challenging because they're made up of huge expanses of islands linked [almost] only by air and sea, making support exceedingly difficult. Still, Tesla is at the point of supporting nearly all accessible markets.

After Mexico and Sigma come all those wide-open South and Central American markets.
Within a few months we'll begin more Africa, rather than just Morocco tourist oriented Superchargers. South Africa beckons! Luckily MB, VAG are already nearly everywhere, as are parts of Stellantis.
DAMN!?
Every sentence seemed to have enough content/message to be a post unto itself. Remind me never to get in a drinking circle with you.

Praying for both peace and a quick, uneventful recovery Gene!

There is VERY little actual evidence of model Y revamp, only rumour. I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover rivals are spreading such rumours to soften demand for the Y.
My October 22 Y feels like the most cutting edge car in the world. There is no urgent need for a restyling. Lower production cost (and price) is all thats needed. (Oh and actually working FSD features in Europe obviously...)
And that lowering of production costs, often with feature improvement, is something that's a continuous process at Tesla. The Model Y is already an improved car from when it was introduced.