Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla reopens Cybertruck pre-orders for Mexico and Canada.

Seems like a good sign to me we’re going to see a fast ramp and huge volume.

Also, someone suggested possibly Cybertruck production in Mexico too? Interesting thought.

I don't think CT reservation is ever closed for Canada. Right now they just moved the CT tab to the top of the main page. In the past CT page is buried under the top right menu.

I get a hint of a future where buying a Tesla resembles a commodity futures market. Auto-bidder like market SW allows for bidding for “future delivery” vs daily market price.

Could this maximize production, deliveries and margins? So many demand levers…
Two reason for growing inventory, delivery delays and price reductions are "inventory allocation" and "logistics". Smart use of AI here may be able to maximize deliverues and improve margins.

Supply chains snd internal inventory is snother area where AI might be able to help.

As Tesla becomes increasingly expert at AI and expands NN training resources, they will probably think of lots of ways of using AI to help run the business.

Reactions: NickFie
Tesla reopens Cybertruck pre-orders for Mexico and Canada.

Seems like a good sign to me we’re going to see a fast ramp and huge volume.

Also, someone suggested possibly Cybertruck production in Mexico too? Interesting thought.

✋ Wait just a minute there.

I'm not ready for a fast ramp, unless we get the Turbo Boost to the 400 SP our resident Technical-ogist promises mid year. Then I might be ready in another year. Granted, there are likely a significant number of those million that will not exercise their reservation when offered and that will just speed up when my turn comes.

I figure I'm at about 1 million down in the reservation queue, and I waited, on purpose, to take my number so I'd have time enough to grow the chairs' value to cover buying it without decimating my portfolio.

It is perfectly fine with me that or Canuck buddies and all my Pepper-wielding friends South of the border can now make orders, but, let's not be too hasty about clearing the backlog. Otay?

Geez guys, didn't you read the tweet thread I posted yesterday? That's what being conjectured, automated wrapping on the different components of the vehicle (doors, fenders, etc) not wrapping as it's currently done after the car is assembled. The new method of assembly really lends itself to this possibility.

It's an idea (among many) that popped up after Tom Zhu made his comment about the cost of painting. And personally, I think it makes sense on a lot of levels, including color choice and color matching if the vehicle needs repair.

Tesla is all about innovation and this would certainly be one.
Yes, I had a similar idea.

Assuming that it can be done, the main limitation is the longevity of wraps.

It is another step closer to the "dry factory" concept.

In future re-wrapping cars is a task Optimus may be able to to help with.

All Tesla needs to do is make the vechicle wrap warranty match the actual longevity.
Re-wrapping the car after 5-7 years might be the trade-off, but that is an opportunity to change the color.

I further speculated that when wrapping cars any rust resilient metal can be used. Galvanized steel lasts 30-40 years on the roofs of homes, it can be stamped and is probably cheaper than stainless steel.

Factory paintshops often dunk car bodies in zinc as a form of rust prevention, that process is not as good as galvanizing which is done at a higher temperature.

However, while this is a possibility worth exploring, we don't yet know if Tesla is currently considering doing it.

✋ Wait just a minute there.

I'm not ready for a fast ramp, unless we get the Turbo Boost to the 400 SP our resident Technical-ogist promises mid year. Then I might be ready in another year. Granted, there are likely a significant number of those million that will not exercise their reservation when offered and that will just speed up when my turn comes.

I figure I'm at about 1 million down in the reservation queue, and I waited, on purpose, to take my number so I'd have time enough to grow the chairs' value to cover buying it without decimating my portfolio.

It is perfectly fine with me that or Canuck buddies and all my Pepper-wielding friends South of the border can now make orders, but, let's not be too hasty about clearing the backlog. Otay?
If Tesla sells a half a million trucks “Too Quickly”, I suspect your concerns will vanish and your portfolio will do fine. For example, suppose Tesla was to sell half a million trucks by the end of 2024, entirely too fast you say? I wonder what that would do to the SP… (not at all a prediction)

Why would you linearly extrapolate the Q1 delivery trend when every single quarter has not had a linear delivery curve? The wave is being unwound which is gradually pushing it towards linearity but at least give better evidence like the count of ships headed to Europe before fear-mongering.

I don't need to linearly extrapolate, the crossover already happened, I just need to know that there are less ships headed to Europe than in previous quarters. The non-linearity will be less than previous quarters.

In the context of the recurring conversation around price cuts and demand, I thought it might be helpful to graphically show what I understand the price elasticity picture to be for 3/Y. The exact shape of the curve is wrong, but it may still be directionally useful. I’m sure there are many here who are far more familiar with these economic topics than yours truly, so please provide constructive feedback.

View attachment 914528

A few things to point out from this:

• It is critical to internalize the non-linear nature of the price elasticity curve.
  • It is critical to consider where Tesla is on the curve in terms of both COGS and production capacity. The recent price cuts + IRA, and Elon’s comments at ID2023 help confirm that 3/Y is on the non-linear part of the curve.
  • The maniacal focus on reducing COGS while increasing production capacity ensures that price cuts will happen over time, all other factors being equal.
  • The dramatic price reductions for the Gen 3 platform should reduce the probability that Tesla pends much, if any, time on the right side of the curve for vehicles built on that platform.
  • To further drive that last point, a sweet non-linear curve isn’t that useful if an automaker is stuck way too far to the right. See a Rivian example below – I’m not very familiar with their business but I believe this is directionally accurate.
View attachment 914529

To be clear, I don’t know if Tesla will be able to maintain amazing gross margins while ramping new factories like crazy. For long term investors in TSLA, the important thing is that Tesla has room for significant growth with current models with marginal price cuts, and can maintain enough FCF that they can fund aggressive growth. From Zach/Elon’s comments recently neither of those seems to be a significant risk at this point.

This is nice, but masks what actually happened in the opposite direction.

Previously, Tesla supply and demand was in equillibrium. For Tesla, the supply could be visualized as a vertical line as they seemingly will keep production as high as possible regardless of demand (as long as marginally profitable).

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 2.15.15 PM.png

Then due to whatever combination of reasons (certainly including higher interest rates on loans), demand dropped. That means the demand curve shifted left.

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 2.15.49 PM.png

Because Tesla is on the steep side of the demand curve, it's a double edged sword. Now they have to drop price alot for small improvements in demand to get back to Q_s.

Tesla did not control these equations by choosing to move along the curve because they had a massive increase in supply. The demand curve shifted.

IMHO if Tesla wants to sell more S’s, they need to make more colors “free” and add colors they used to have. Also they need to bring back bright trim. They already have brought back bright wheels on the 3. They could even just make it an option at extra cost. When the 4 years on the warranty is up I usually order a new one, but they have. Nothing for me at the moment. Have you ever looked at how ugly the cars on the order page look? They have given up on the new wheel and the order page defaults to a regular wheel. Thank God.

I think that Deposits are non-refundable now (that was the case for my Model Y). If that's case for CT, those deposits should count as income in the quarter they were placed. Some of our accounting types may be able to help.
If so, that’s a change from the original reservations which were not considered a deposit at all and we’re clearly refundable.

Reactions: SO16
If so, that’s a change from the original reservations which were not considered a deposit at all and we’re clearly refundable.

Tesla used to charge a refundable deposit of $1000.

In 2019, Tesla replaced that with a non-refundable $100 order fee...which is NOT a deposit and NOT refundable... and in 2021 made it $250.

I don't need to linearly extrapolate, the crossover already happened, I just need to know that there are less ships headed to Europe than in previous quarters. The non-linearity will be less than previous quarters.

This is nice, but masks what actually happened in the opposite direction.

Previously, Tesla supply and demand was in equillibrium. For Tesla, the supply could be visualized as a vertical line as they seemingly will keep production as high as possible regardless of demand (as long as marginally profitable).

View attachment 914630

Then due to whatever combination of reasons (certainly including higher interest rates on loans), demand dropped. That means the demand curve shifted left.

View attachment 914631

Because Tesla is on the steep side of the demand curve, it's a double edged sword. Now they have to drop price alot for small improvements in demand to get back to Q_s.

Tesla did not control these equations by choosing to move along the curve because they had a massive increase in supply. The demand curve shifted.
I'm rusty on microeconomic theory, but I don't think your charts reflect what's happening. Your chart depicts supply and demand in a static environment. But supply is not static. The demand curve did not shift. Rather, what's happening is there is a total increase in supply (both Tesla and other manufacturers). The best depiction would be a second supply curve parallel and to the right of the one you show. The new supply curve will intersect the demand curve to the right (more quantity) and down (lower price) as the market clearing intersection. For example using your chart, currently, the market clearing volume is at Q100 and P16. But the new market clearing price will be like at Q300 and P5 or P6. Hope I'm making sense.

That is basically what Tesla is doing. They are increasing supply and riding the demand curve down to lower price but at exponentially higher volumes. And competitors can't compete because their manufacturing doesn't enable them to offer their cars at the market clearing price.

Last edited:
Tesla used to charge a refundable deposit of $1000.

In 2019, Tesla replaced that with a non-refundable $100 order fee...which is NOT a deposit and NOT refundable... and in 2021 made it $250.
If I'm not mistaken, the CT deposits were refundable. At least, I'm pretty sure mine was.

If I'm not mistaken, the CT deposits were refundable. At least, I'm pretty sure mine was.

Sorry- yes I was referring to the general process of ordering vehicles---there was quite a bit of talk about the non-refundable part in various 3/Y threads lately because people were worried they'd pay $250 non-refundable and then the IRS guidance would cut or eliminate the $7500 credit this month.... But CT is (and has been) treated differently than others so far... no idea if that will change once it goes into production.

Reactions: WattsHappening