Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was no need to reply, you stated your opinion like I stated mine. There are millions of people in the country and my decisions do not have to make sense to you, and neither yours to me. But I will explain in more detail as you wish.

I bought a lemon 3. The car had many issues the service center couldn't fix, including unacceptable rattles and build quality issues with the car being out of service for many months waiting on parts. I had to part ways with it for that as the main reason. The other was I just felt like it was too basic and limiting.

The X is the only desirable car Tesla makes for me at the moment. The 3/Y feel too cheap and lack too many basic car features at their price points. I want a screen in front of the wheel. One screen is just too minimalistic to me. I was in the market for a BMW IX, Mercedes EQS, Audi E-Tron, or Model X. The Model X has the best design, in my opinion. It has the best SC network and It's been 5 years since my Model 3. I figured why not give the Model X a go, see if Tesla's service has improved and their car quality.

I do like the brand and I do like the product. Everyone deserves a second chance, and that is what I am giving Tesla. But I was very close to getting the IX.
I do find it interesting the importance that people ascribe to baubles and creature comforts. I know folks who will allow things like air-conditioned seats or the stitching on the leather upholstery to dictate their buying decision.

For me it's things like: powerplant, drivetrain, frame construction. suspension, etc... But then again I'm just a simpleton that grew up with crank-down windows and 8-track players.

1678751773537.png

Comedy is illegal on TMC.

Two weeks should do it, sir. Thank you.

This is going to be fun to watch the actual realization of what FDIC covers and what happens after they give out what they are required to do. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation covers exactly that, bank deposits. They have always made it clear that they only cover up to $250k for each account. If you have more than that you have to sue the bank itself in court.

Perhaps you missed the announcement, but FDIC already said they're covering all deposits of SVB, with no maximum limit whatsoever.

There was no need to reply, you stated your opinion like I stated mine. There are millions of people in the country and my decisions do not have to make sense to you, and neither yours to me. But I will explain in more detail as you wish.

I bought a lemon 3. The car had many issues the service center couldn't fix, including unacceptable rattles and build quality issues with the car being out of service for many months waiting on parts. I had to part ways with it for that as the main reason. The other was I just felt like it was too basic and limiting.

The X is the only desirable car Tesla makes for me at the moment. The 3/Y feel too cheap and lack too many basic car features at their price points. I want a screen in front of the wheel. One screen is just too minimalistic to me. I was in the market for a BMW IX, Mercedes EQS, Audi E-Tron, or Model X. The Model X has the best design, in my opinion. It has the best SC network and It's been 5 years since my Model 3. I figured why not give the Model X a go, see if Tesla's service has improved and their car quality.

I do like the brand and I do like the product. Everyone deserves a second chance, and that is what I am giving Tesla. But I was very close to getting the IX.
Unfortunately Lemons happen, my Model 3 has been close to flawless, only issue was with the rear number plate holder after 2 years.

Service is improving.

If you haven't watched it, I recommend watching the Investor Day video.

The real question isn't how fast Tesla can grow in a recession, but how fast all the competitors with their hundreds of $billions of debt go bankrupt.
The talking heads on CNBC will be in trouble once they can no longer bring up their favorite "competition is coming" slogan.
Additionally, what prospective companies would be interested in feeding on these legacy carcasses? Seems like this time around, getting another global automaker conglomerate would be even more difficult than last time?

Reactions: Tommy O
This is going to be fun to watch the actual realization of what FDIC covers and what happens after they give out what they are required to do. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation covers exactly that, bank deposits. They have always made it clear that they only cover up to $250k for each account. If you have more than that you have to sue the bank itself in court. Same as SIPC covering your investments. At a brokerage house they cover cash first and then your securities. SIPC covers up to $500k but only up to $250k in cash. Again if you exceed their coverage, you are left to litigation against the bank itself. It's called get in line to sue.
Down voted because you have not seen the news in last 24 hours or so.

After receiving a recommendation from the boards of the FDIC and the Federal Reserve, and consulting with the President, Secretary Yellen approved actions enabling the FDIC to complete its resolution of Silicon Valley Bank, Santa Clara, California, in a manner that fully protects all depositors. Depositors will have access to all of their money starting Monday, March 13. No losses associated with the resolution of Silicon Valley Bank will be borne by the taxpayer.

Since the market didn’t completely bleed to death today, can we assume that a bank run and complete market meltdown is no longer as likely? Or do we have to wait a couple more weeks until things stabilize to see if that could still be a possibility?
No one knows.

I'm getting messages from people who get paid to know what's going to happen and it sounds like a little bit of chaos. Could be fine, could be a disaster.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at one of these big institutions.

Don't panic.

Are FDIC fees structured so that they're paid per account and proportional to the amount in the account, up to $250k? It looks like this is actually not the case, as banks pay assessment fees on all liabilities, not just insured deposits, and I don't see any exclusion for accounts with more than $250k in them: FDIC: Deposit Insurance - Assessments

If that's the case then it doesn't really make sense to me why there's a limit in the coverage, except maybe to encourage people to spread their money around to smaller banks.
There’s a lot of things in current US banking regulation that don’t make sense. As the video I posted pointed out, smaller community banks have a strong lobbying presence, and coincidentally, aren’t held to internationally agreed to banking standards. Huh.

Down voted because you have not seen the news in last 24 hours or so.

Yea guess it's too big to fail. I did see on tonight's news that Biden and FDIC said they would cover deposits beyond the $250k limit. Funny how the rules can change when you're big enough. Wonder where they will get the $? Lot of talk but nothing about the details. Loss of faith in the banking system is a big deal. Silverado was a fraction fo the size of SVB.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
Since the market didn’t completely bleed to death today, can we assume that a bank run and complete market meltdown is no longer as likely? Or do we have to wait a couple more weeks until things stabilize to see if that could still be a possibility?
Just need to give a day or two for the market makers to change their options positions. At the very least raise up the market like no big deal to get that exit liquidity. “Ohhh no more rate hikes…everything is great now!” Lololololol

Yea guess it's too big to fail. I did see on tonight's news that Biden and FDIC said they would cover deposits beyond the $250k limit. Funny how the rules can change when you're big enough. Wonder where they will get the $? Lot of talk but nothing about the details. Loss of faith in the banking system is a big deal. Silverado was a fraction fo the size of SVB.
its not just too big to fail. They got screwed over by ever increasing treasury yield, you know, the supposedly safest investment there is. Every other bank is exposed to this. The Fed ****ed up by keeping rates too low for too long and then hiking too high way too fast. This is about faith in the USD and US treasury.

The money is there. The government just has to hold those low yield performing bonds SVB had to expiration. Once interest rate comes down they might actually make a profit too.

There’s a lot of things in current US banking regulation that don’t make sense. As the video I posted pointed out, smaller community banks have a strong lobbying presence, and coincidentally, aren’t held to internationally agreed to banking standards. Huh.
New banking standards for small banks coming in 3...2...1...
its not just too big to fail. They got screwed over by ever increasing treasury yield, you know, the supposedly safest investment there is. Every other bank is exposed to this. The Fed ****ed up by keeping rates too low for too long and then hiking too high way too fast. This is about faith in the USD and US treasury.
SVB f**ked up by buying long term bonds with short term deposits. What did they expect to happen? You don't buy long term assets that can't easily be liquidated with short term deposits, unless you want to go insolvent when people start withdrawing.