Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, we all know that, but that brake by wire will not be exclusive to Tesla. Tesla may be the proving ground, and have it for a few years (i.e. other OEMs let Tesla be the guinea pig), but the tech is Brembo tech, they can sell it to any other OEMs. It's not vertical integration.

I think folks are chiming in in support of this point made by @Artful Dodger earlier in the thread:

@Artful Dodger :

If they do buy from 3rd parties, they have their own Tesla engineers embedded at the companies to ensure product compliance to Tesla's demanding specs.

Let's wait and see how this develops. BYD denies problems.

I think it’s just good to see some news flying around about BYD supplying batteries to Tesla. Clearly recall news breaking a year or two ago that this would be happening and then wondering how many people would remember it when the Tesla vs BYD comparisons inevitably popped up.

These companies are working together to some degree and we know BYD is supplying batteries to Giga Shanghai, so pitting them against one another or citing BYD’s PHEV vs BEV numbers etc seems to be missing the mark from a few angles.

Reactions: Xepa777
But thats the mess the Fed left by keep interest too low for too long. It lead banks to chase yield wherever they could because how else would they keep the light on? People need to stop talking about SVB as if it's a fraud. If it was collapsing on some crypto, SPAC stocks or the good old MBS, I would say **** it. But this is US treasury. If depositors are told you're short of luck and SVB portfolio goes on a fire sale, guess how future auctions of treasuries is going to go? Bank runs are nice, but have you seen a bank run on the US government?
Michael Burry was indicating that this is an Enron type of scandal (through a tweet which he later deleted). He should just shut his mouth and go away.

I believe Tesla had input on the lined tires, so same as brakes.

I do recall some discussion here years ago of Tesla working with a tire manufacturer to develop an EV-optimized rubber compound as well.. I can't find anything on it at the moment, but suspect some announcements such as these may be the result...

Correct. As Tesla extracts more profits, they are becoming more and more of what a car company should have been while the rest becomes more and more bank like vs innovating them out of lower and lower margins. It's crazy to think of a sector being so capex intensive making such little return on their investments. With rates at 6%, it literally starts to beat out car companies in profit if one were to park their money in a CD vs making 4% operating profits...
As legacy automotive companies became more expensive due to unions, pensions, bloat, and generally lethargy, everything they manufacturer, piece by piece became more financially appealing to outsource to suppliers that were "experts" and cheaper. Next thing you know you're a bank with less and less skill. This is all playing out quite unsurprisingly in hindsight really...

For those interested, my latest portfolio composition:
100% TSLA in Roth
160% long Tesla in taxables
I accomplished 160% leverage by placing 100% of my taxable portfolio in TSLL plus borrowed 8% on top of TSLL in straight TSLA stock
Reason being TSLL is approximately 47% or so long TSLA, not exactly 150% TSLA
Very happy with my current positioning
Not financial advice
Loved my vacation in Hawaii
If my highly toxic portfolio concoction succeeds long term then might just buy a vacation home in Hawaii at some point
Alternatively, might buy a place in Europe and just travel the world if we can manage our company remotely
72BEDA6C-6C64-4602-BBCC-F00914C230F5.jpeg

100% TSLA in Roth
I accomplished 160% leverage by placing 100% of my taxable portfolio in TSLL plus borrowed 8% on top of TSLL in straight TSLA stock
Not financial advice
If my highly toxic portfolio concoction succeeds long term then might just buy a vacation home in Hawaii at some point
Alternatively, might buy a place in Europe and just travel the world if we can manage our company remotely View attachment 917459
Boast much? yes, we really care:rolleyes:

100% TSLA in Roth
Reason being TSLL is approximately 47% or so long TSLA, not exactly 150% TSLA
Not financial advice
Alternatively, might buy a place in Europe and just travel the world if we can manage our company remotely View attachment 917459
Enjoy

This may have been posted already but MSM is not only worthless but now for me has no credibility. I found the real facts on Twitter.
This is very sad as the state of journalism used to be credible.

Two pieces of interesting Supercharger information I've come across today just to keep you guys in the loop.
1. The inside of a V4 Supercharger in Europe was shown on this twitter post: link
FrGsCU8aEAQAN05
2. In tweet about an upcoming Supercharger location in Cary, NC (found by former member MarcoRP) it is proposed to have a dry chemical fire extinguisher. Maybe preparing for all for all those non-Telsa EVs and their pouch cells? 🤔 😂
Untitled.jpg

Telsa on the other hand makes most of its own parts, all of its own software, and does no catalog engineering. If they do buy from 3rd parties, they have their own Tesla engineers embedded at the companies to ensure product compliance to Tesla's demanding specs.
Since we’re talking about Eee Vees, I think worth mentioning specifically that Tesla is the only auto company which builds their entire drivetrain. Battery, Motors, Transmission, etc etc.

The best legacy auto companies only touch parts of the electric drivetrain, but many of them outsource almost all of it. None of them make their own cells, few even package the cells in-house, few make their own chargers, and some don’t even make their own engines and rely on Bosch electric motors.

When it comes to Eee Vees, legacy auto is even more reliant on catalog engineering. Perhaps a big part of why they are struggling to make a profit.

When EVs become mainstream Legacy will just…. (Pick one)
  • Swoop in and suck up all the profits!
  • Outsource all manufacturing and become branding companies and banks.
  • Fall over and die….

Last edited:
Boast much? yes, we really care:rolleyes:
Be happy for your fellow man. If you want his life, then take steps to get there.

Hawaii is definitely paradise in the eyes of many and everyone should have the opportunity to visit once just to see and experience.

The portfolio with leverage is less seen as paradise and many wouldn’t want to walk that path. Don’t consider it a boast. It’s more like walking a plank during a raging storm with sharks circulating below. I’ve watched TT fall off that plank more than once over the years; it’s not pretty. I wish him a successful walk this time in hopes he’ll do something with his winnings that helps others. If he doesn’t then boast much, dude? Yes, we really care. 🙄😜

Be happy for your fellow man. If you want his life, then take steps to get there.

Hawaii is definitely paradise in the eyes of many and everyone should have the opportunity to visit once just to see and experience.

The portfolio with leverage is less seen as paradise and many wouldn’t want to walk that path. Don’t consider it a boast. It’s more like walking a plank during a raging storm with sharks circulating below. I’ve watched TT fall off that plank more than once over the years; it’s not pretty. I wish him a successful walk this time in hopes he’ll do something with his winnings that helps others. If he doesn’t then boast much, dude? Yes, we really care. 🙄😜
I am happy for all. That is not the point. I've seen many over the years boasting about their this and that like they were some 12-year olds. I got this much, bought this house, etc.

You dig it - fine.

Two pieces of interesting Supercharger information I've come across today just to keep you guys in the loop.
1. The inside of a V4 Supercharger in Europe was shown on this twitter post: link
FrGsCU8aEAQAN05
2. In tweet about an upcoming Supercharger location in Cary, NC (found by former member MarcoRP) it is proposed to have a dry chemical fire extinguisher. Maybe preparing for all for all those non-Telsa EVs and their pouch cells? 🤔 😂
I think if Tesla felt extinguishers were important, they would have them at more stations. There is a pretty fair chance this was a local regulatory requirement.

That dry chemical extinguisher is unlikely to do anything if there is a battery fire.

Yeah, a 10lb dry chemical fire extinguisher is not going to do a darn thing to an EV battery fire. But maybe it could help a little with the charge port "fire" that a VW ID.4 recently had at an EA charger. (Likely the result of an arc flash from a poor connection that neither the ID.4 or the EA charger detected and shut down the charging process automatically, it had to be stopped manually by the driver while flames were shooting out of the charge port.)

And my guess is that the fire extinguisher won't be there, and charged, for more than a couple weeks. (Even that only if it is behind safety glass that has to be broken.)

Most likely it is put there because of some local regulation/requirement.

Last edited:
Yes, we all know that, but that brake by wire will not be exclusive to Tesla. Tesla may be the proving ground, and have it for a few years (i.e. other OEMs let Tesla be the guinea pig), but the tech is Brembo tech, they can sell it to any other OEMs. It's not vertical integration.
Brakes are something I think Tesla can afford to outsource for some time.

Brakes are an important safety feature and they need to be spot on in terms of safety and reliability, but there isn’t a ton of optimization Tesla can do there to make the whole car more efficient.