Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enough with the advertising debate. People are just running around in circles now.

If you read this after having repeated yourself again, go ahead and delete the post so a mod won’t have to do it for you.
Offenders will also have their Custom Title changed to "Blithering Member" for three weeks

How Expensive is it to Buy a Tesla Now vs Pre-Covid?

January 2020

Tesla AWD Model Y List Price: $52000

Interest Rates: ~ 3.5%

Monthly Payment ($10k down): $764

April 2023

Tesla AWD Model Y List Price: $50000

Interest Rates: ~ 6.5%

Monthly Payment ($10k down): $782

Ignoring other factors for now, Tesla's most sold car is still more expensive than it was over 3 years ago.

Other factors:

Supply / Demand Curves:
All else equal, as volume increases, prices needed to sustain demand should decrease. Tesla has increased production rate by a factor of 4 in 3 years, yet the affordability of the car has not gone down.

Wage Inflation: Average wages were up ~4%,4%, and 6% the last 3 years. Assuming white collar jobs matched these, raw purchasing power should have went up ~ 15% and so higher monthly payments should be tolerated.

Total Inflation: However total inflation has been even higher the past 2 years, while lower in 2020. Inflation obviously increases costs of other expenses reducing purchasing power for cars. I'd say this washes out wage inflation for now.

View attachment 931774

Summary

The economic factors presented to Tesla in 2023 should mean that prices should even be lower than they currently are. Monthly payments are actually higher than 3 years ago while supporting a much larger base of potential customers.

Costs also inflated but should see some alleviation later this year, unfortunately those lag price cuts.

Price cuts effect on demand are not instantaneous, we may not see most effects until later this year.

Thus, this is the worst period of time for financials. Prices may need to be cut again. Q1 or Q2 should be the worst of it. Peak FUD is now through rest of Q2 and probably Q3.

Conclusion

Tesla does not have a demand problem, in fact, I would argue it is up. (I am surprised by this finding)

Tesla does not have an advertising problem.

Tesla has a "the economy sucks and there's nothing we can do about it but be patient" problem.

Investors need to suck it up and be patient too.
Ok...who are you and what did you do with "funny cat video guy"?

Roland Pircher doing us all a favor with this nice graph.

Inventory should be viewed in relation to production and deliveries.

7C1E4DDB-F6AB-4E59-91BC-445F4AF7E790.jpeg

Source

Battery cell degradation is a function of how often it is recharged. For a given total mileage, a car with a bigger battery has to be recharged less often, so degradation is less. S/X have bigger batteries than 3/Y on average (assuming same chemistry obviously, 3/Y with LFP will have different curve).
Calendar age also affects.

This is the mother of all 3 battery health threads:

I've been in and out of that thread for both our 3 and Y, both of which have 10+% degradation with between 10,000 and 25,000 miles on them at the time (and not a lot of supercharging), and the consensus was "this is normal for the 2170 packs".

Surprised by that. My Model Y is a year old and 13,000 miles and I seem to have 1-2% degradation. Maybe I am calculating it wrong or is there a way to check via the car settings like you can with an iphone? I am just taking current range (229 miles), dividing by current battery percentage (70%) and then dividing that number by 330. I get less than 1%. 🤷‍♂️

Any graph that shows inventory as absolute numbers and not as a % of production rate is at least slightly disingenious

Well said.

Let's take this further into the depths of reason, something clearly being avoided by the "inventory care bears."

Take a moment to consider the difference between:
  • an OEM with increasing inventory in parallel with static or negative dealer growth and reduced production, and
  • an OEM that is consistently growing the number of showrooms and service centers (delivery outlets) while also expanding production capacity and development for multiple product lines across multiple disciplines (auto, energy, software, AI).

Growing inventory for a legacy OEM is a death knell that portends a cloudy future because both sales and production are dropping as inventory increases.

Growing inventory for an expanding OEM with both product and sales strategies that are disrupting the industry is to be expected to remain on par with the growth of the production and delivery capability.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well said.

Let's take this further into the depths of reason, something clearly being avoided by the "inventory care bears."

Take a moment to consider the difference between:
  • an OEM with increasing inventory in parallel with static or negative dealer growth and reduced production, and
  • an OEM that is consistently growing the number of showrooms and service centers (delivery outlets) while also expanding production capacity and development for multiple product lines across multiple disciplines (auto, energy, software, AI).

Growing inventory for a legacy OEM is a death knell that portends a cloudy future because both sales and production are dropping as inventory increases.

Growing inventory for an expanding OEM with both product and sales strategies that are disrupting the industry is to be expected to remain on par with the growth of the production capability.

All automakers have excess capacity. The interesting question is whether Tesla is included.

Is there a relative pause in EV growth after the covid buying frenzy? I think we will know later in the year.

Main issue with degradation is a lot of people using apps to calculate it

Apps only show what the car exposes, which is the EPA range at a given state of charge, and this is one of the most inaccurate ways of measuring it, if the BMS is a bit uncalibrated, which is the case with the vast majority of drivers due to repeating usage pattern (ie charge everyday to 80% and end the day at 30% and repeat), that rated number has a huge error bar

The BMS will always go on the less energy available side than it really is to avoid getting people stranded, so the longest you go maintaining a regular usage pattern that doesn't fully charge and fully discharge the pack, the more error it will accumulate

And despite a lot of people repeating the above again and again, every week there is people posting Tessie or similar apps screenshots asking why my battery has so much degradation

Best way to do currently is either ScanMyTesla plugged into the car CAN network and driving from full charge to until the car stops moving, and doing that at low ish speeds so you have less losses everywhere, with that you can precisely see how much energy you get out of the battery with more precision than simply looking at the trip card

The is also the health test on the service menu that everyone can do, but from all I've seen so far that might encompass more than just energy stored vs new. It's a state of health test, not degradation

Both are useful, but you can't compare one to another

TLDR: Model 3/Y degradation is likely fine, better than S/X or on par, but with more cars on the road, you have many more users measuring degradation completely wrong and posting about, giving an impression that they are worse on that regard

All automakers have excess capacity. The interesting question is whether Tesla is included.

What would represent a pause for any automotive company?

Perhaps an indicator would be laying off workers, closing production facilities, throttling production lines, canceling existing vehicle models from the lineup, renting significant space to store excess inventory (stadium parking lots and the like).

Is Tesla doing any of those things?

Are any of the legacy OEMs doing those things?

Is taking note of this differentiation between these factors critical to evaluating the hypothesis?

Sure, there will be market ups and downs like Covid that affect all players, but, ignoring these other factors while singing a care bear lullaby falls short of a comprehensive evaluation to determine what is different about Tesla in this regard. Would you not agree?

Last edited:
Main issue with degradation is a lot of people using apps to calculate it

Apps only show what the car exposes, which is the EPA range at a given state of charge, and this is one of the most inaccurate ways of measuring it, if the BMS is a bit uncalibrated, which is the case with the vast majority of drivers due to repeating usage pattern (ie charge everyday to 80% and end the day at 30% and repeat), that rated number has a huge error bar

The BMS will always go on the less energy available side than it really is to avoid getting people stranded, so the longest you go maintaining a regular usage pattern that doesn't fully charge and fully discharge the pack, the more error it will accumulate

And despite a lot of people repeating the above again and again, every week there is people posting Tessie or similar apps screenshots asking why my battery has so much degradation

Best way to do currently is either ScanMyTesla plugged into the car CAN network and driving from full charge to until the car stops moving, and doing that at low ish speeds so you have less losses everywhere, with that you can precisely see how much energy you get out of the battery with more precision than simply looking at the trip card

The is also the health test on the service menu that everyone can do, but from all I've seen so far that might encompass more than just energy stored vs new. It's a state of health test, not degradation

Both are useful, but you can't compare one to another

TLDR: Model 3/Y degradation is likely fine, better than S/X or on par, but with more cars on the road, you have many more users measuring degradation completely wrong and posting about, giving an impression that they are worse on that regard

This is what I was assuming is going on with people complaining about large "degradation". I went on a long road trip a few weeks ago and charged my car to 100% before leaving. Maybe this helped recalibrate the BMS estimate resulting in me only seeing 1% "degradation".