Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the recent rumors of the refreshed (aka Highland) Model 3 going into production sooner rather than later have me excited as a "car guy". Unfortunately, as an investor, I sort of hope that isn't true. While it might spark Model 3 sales somewhat (could be a lot if it drives $5k out of costs/price), it could also Osborne Model Y sales since the two cars share so much in common (eg if the new 3 gets a larger screen, it would be reasonable to assume the Y will get the same...hw4 is, of course, another obvious item) - basically, folks "wait" for those items to come to the Y. This is particularly true for those looking to "upgrade" from an existing version of the Y - admittedly, this is just revenue deferred vs. lost.

Last edited:
Come on, at this point do you think it's just a theory that there's a conspiracy to hold Tesla back......
Any wide spread conspiracy would always come out - not possible to keep it a secret.

There are open opponents of EVs and Tesla - no need for conspiracies there.

There are also well known attempts by fossil fuel companies to muddy the waters about climate change. This is not what I'm talking about.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the recent rumors of the refreshed (aka Highland) Model 3 going into production sooner rather than later have me excited as a "car guy". Unfortunately, as an investor, I sort of hope that isn't true. While it might spark Model 3 sales somewhat (could be a lot if it drives $5k out of costs/price), it could also Osborne Model Y sales since the two cars share so much in common (eg if the new 3 gets a larger screen, it would be reasonable to assume the Y will get the same...hw4 is, of course, another obvious item) - basically, folks "wait" for those items to come to the Y. This is particularly true for those looking to "upgrade" from an existing version of the Y - admittedly, this is just revenue deferred vs. lost.
Unless the Highland 3 has a hatchback, it won't be osborning the Y.

Yeah our rulers sit at the head of every major corporation and bank in the world, which in turn own our politicians

Well documented by a Swiss economic research team in 2011: (note that this study was done pre-Tesla)

Wall.e doesn't like to leave things to chance. 'They' are State Street Corporation, Vanguard Group, BlackRock, FMR, Paulson, Capital World Investor, JP Morgan, Northern Trust Corporation, Fairhome ... the list is short but extinguished.

Word.

Deep blue metallic ready to order for estimated delivery Sep-Oct

FwBIgQzWAAAcGat.jpg

from

Last edited:
My brother in law just came over. He is buying a new car soon. Replacing a small suv. I wanted to take him to my local Tesla center for a Y test drive.
Unfortunately, they don't have a single one in stock available to even see.
So bullish for us, bad for my bro!
Tesla.com now defaults to a test drive page rather than MY. M3 page updated. UK seem to be clearing demo cars. Everything pointing to Highland coming soon. If it wasn't for CT coming a few months later, Highland expectations would be much higher. I think it will be huge. It's gonna have a Roadster look with S/X interior features. With only 18 months to go before gen 3, Tesla have an opportunity to raise the M3 and then MY (1-2 years) further into luxury/exec class. Air suspension and air conditioned seats would go down well. That would reinforce decision to not sell RHD S/X.

Unless the Highland 3 has a hatchback, it won't be osborning the Y.

The 3 features I know of in the Y that aren't in the 3 are

The oversized Hepa filter / Bioweapon Defense mode
Dark rear factory Glass (rear side windows + hatch window vs roof (see video below)
That Hatch.

If the Highland model 3 adds the extra air filter and the darker rear glass I'd be willing to give up the hatch if there is still a noticeable price difference between 3 and Y.

Last edited:
I think the idea was that the Highland 3 would make people wait to buy a Y expecting it to soon get a Highland update as well.

Yup, in the several Tesla threads over on slickdeals tons of folks were saying exactly that-- since they shared so much as platforms they expected Y would get the same updates later this year and were waiting to see what they were before buying anything.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
While I've seen mixed reaction from 11.4, I think the biggest sign of really good progress is that Rocco is having zero disengagement drives and it's doing pretty well

Even when folks were having really good ones some place else, his location was always really poor, with dumb mistakes. It's important because where he tests the roads aren't complex or busy, just non usual