Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went back and listened to the last question in Q&A yesterday about plant shutdowns for retooling- I gotta think Elon is purposely sandbagging on this. Elon shut down Zach’s response as soon as he said it “won’t be a profound reduction… (inaudible)… quite small”. I think Elon wants the analysts to bake in a significant production decline estimate just so he can handily beat it.

I went back and listened to the last question in Q&A yesterday about plant shutdowns for retooling- I gotta think Elon is purposely sandbagging on this. Elon shut down Zach’s response as soon as he said it “won’t be a profound reduction… (inaudible)… quite small”. I think Elon wants the analysts to bake in a significant production decline estimate just so he can handily beat it.
giphy.gif

OEM, by definition, requires both building and supporting the vehicles.

Whose definition? Support to whom?

For example:

An original equipment manufacturer (OEM) is a company whose goods are used as components in the products of another company, known as a value-added reseller (VAR). The VAR works closely with the OEM, which often customizes designs based on the VAR's needs and specifications

or

An Original Equipment Manufacturer or OEM is a company that manufactures and sells products or parts of a product that their buyer, another company, sells to its own customers while putting the products under its own branding. OEMs commonly operate in the auto and computer industries.

or

The abbreviation stands for “original equipment manufacturer”. It refers to any company that manufactures products for or parts designed to be incorporated into an end product from a different company.

All 3 of those seem to fit Magna, which builds parts and cars for other companies to put their name on and resell, rather than magna directly selling the cars to customers themselves....and Magna provides support to the reselling car companies, not end consumers.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: unk45 and navguy12
I think he doesn't care about micro adjustments on production line throughput-- the question to ask was why or what improvements to the car or production process are being done?

Whose definition? Support to whom?

For example:

An original equipment manufacturer (OEM) is a company whose goods are used as components in the products of another company, known as a value-added reseller (VAR). The VAR works closely with the OEM, which often customizes designs based on the VAR's needs and specifications

or

An Original Equipment Manufacturer or OEM is a company that manufactures and sells products or parts of a product that their buyer, another company, sells to its own customers while putting the products under its own branding. OEMs commonly operate in the auto and computer industries.

or

The abbreviation stands for “original equipment manufacturer”. It refers to any company that manufactures products for or parts designed to be incorporated into an end product from a different company.

All 3 of those seem to fit Magna, which builds parts and cars for other companies to put their name on and resell, rather than magna directly selling the cars to customers themselves....and Magna provides support to the reselling car companies, not end consumers.
Know your audience :

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/encyclopedia/oem
"OEM is an abbreviation for original equipment manufacturer. In the automotive industry, this term generally refers to automotive manufacturers. It can also refer to the manufacturer of origin for any product."

Your selections are Tier-1s

OEM and Tier 1 in manufacturing of automotive components | Knauf
"Basically, it is the OEM – the manufacturer of the final product – that deals with the final release of the vehicle to the market. Usually, it cannot function without other suppliers."

Reports are in that a trade-in will not be required, you can just move FSD to a new vehicle purchase: How to get your free FSD transfer - trade-in not required [Update]

But it seems that the "within a reasonable time" of the end of Q3 portion got dropped. Take delivery by 9/30 to qualify:

Full terms: (Which are basically identical to how they handled the lifetime Free Unlimited Supercharging to 6 years of free Supercharging on a new vehicle promotion.)

1689880116310.png

FINALLY, some good old corporate sandbagging!

This would involve getting Tesla's hardware into the other maker's vehicles eh along with figuring out the exact implementation (driver monitoring, feedback, etc), probably a long lead time on that even if the ball was already rolling.

I highly doubt OEMs would be interested in putting Autosteer on City Streets in consumer's hands, to me it's more likely this "FSD Licensing" would be Autopilot and/or safety features. Basically doing what companies like Mobileye have been doing for a long time.

There are other potentially interesting questions here, like whether it would mean the OEM cars will be set up for OTA updates and such
Jeez, don't you think they're smart enough to have already figured all of this out?

While last night's earnings call was kind of a (some interesting bits of information here and there but the call felt more unfocused than usual, in my opinion, and hearing Elon ramble about the same things every call is a bit tiring), I'm surprised we're down a whopping ~10%, since a lot of the numbers in the earnings report are good, all things considered.

Guess some of that NASDAQ rebalancing is probably hitting the stock as well? Big tech sure looks pretty red today overall...

Reports are in that a trade-in will not be required, you can just move FSD to a new vehicle purchase: How to get your free FSD transfer - trade-in not required [Update]

But it seems that the "within a reasonable time" of the end of Q3 portion got dropped. Take delivery by 9/30 to qualify:

Full terms: (Which are basically identical to how they handled the lifetime Free Unlimited Supercharging to 6 years of free Supercharging on a new vehicle promotion.)

1689880116310.png

That's actually really favorable. You aren't required to sell your car back to Tesla.

Color me surprised.

/me goes to eye what he can get for the 2020 P Y and replace it with something new

One important factor to consider regarding Megapack factories internationally is how much of the current 18% margin is due to the IRA battery credits (which obviously won’t be present internationally).
Domestic cell and module manufacturing gets IRA credits, even if the end product is sold abroad.
However, my understanding is Megapack XL uses LFP, not local 2170s.

Sold some puts late today (sell puts to buy shares strategy). I hated the conference call; it was miserable, unfocused, and despite really needing to listen I had to give up and switch to transcripts. It was also immaterial.

I seem to always get conned by the man who yelled FSD, but I might be the only person here that actually thinks the Robotaxi is coming sooner rather than later, if only for Boring Company. It might not be something moving the needle, but to me it is a sign that a few things are stabilizing. He also had a strange focus on variety when that wasn't what people wanted to hear. I have no idea what it means, but my gut says there are a few things changing quickly.

(I do wish they could get their solar and residential business sorted out though; again, I assume there is a reason they choose not to but I have not been able to grasp what the issue is at the moment. That will require some more research on my end to understand if there should be an opportunity there or if it really is a dead-end business. I hope the atrophying wasn't to just get past the SolarCity lawsuits.)

The "idea" is that FSD is self funding in that it reduces accidents enough to pay for itself. The data Tesla has released suggests that even the current Beta reduces accidents dramatically.
The data that Tesla has suggests that bFSD is safer than humans while being monitored by a human. The interventions are still quite frequent (for me) and with a human monitor, whenever bFSD does something dangerous like phantom brake checks the car behind you, the human overrides that to potentially avoid a statistical accident. I don't believe we know, statistically, how safe a non-monitored FSD system is yet.