Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appear to have woken up in a different universe, apparently here bussinessinsider is pro Tesla?

Oh it's still an anti EV Fud angle omitting the 2024 availability of supercharger access with adapter, urging to delay buying an EV until 2025, probably banking on their 'I would never buy an Elon car' campaigns having divided off a significant amount of potential converts.

Yep it looks like it's these guys out of Chesterfield MO. Unique look.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 9.28.09 AM.png

Gorban Transportation

…….

According to the Limiting Factor (see video below @17:30), Tesla are currently working to fully ramp a single 4680 production line with a capacity of 25GWh. Additionally in the Q4 2022 earnings call Drew said "As far as where we stand in Texas, 1 of 4 lines are in production, with the remaining 3 stages of commissioning and install". So once Tesla have ironed out the kinks and ramped production they will have 4 lines in Austin producing 4 x 25 = 100GWh."

I'd love Limiting Factor to be correct that the four Austin lines are each 25GWh/yr, rather than the nominal objective of 10 GWh/yr from the one Kato line. However I don't see actual evidence in that video that this is so. It seems to me that LF are making one assumption too many without solid evidence. I'd love LF to be correct mind you.

…….
IIRC, Tesla introduced the Kato Road plant on battery day as a “Pilot” production line, with nominal capacity of 10 GWh/year. Its purpose was to test designs for new production equipment and cells. Tesla said “production lines” would have a nominal capacity of 20 GWh/year. At a later date, Tesla increased the production line capacity to 25 GWh/year.

Tesla has offically announced 100 GWh/year capacity for Austin, Berlin, and the Nevada GF1 expansion. CTO Drew stated on a quarterly earnings call that Austin had one 4680 production line running and would install three more lines to get to full 100 GWh/year capacity. IIRC.

GSP

IIRC, Tesla introduced the Kato Road plant on battery day as a “Pilot” production line, with nominal capacity of 10 GWh/year. Its purpose was to test designs for new production equipment and cells. Tesla said “production lines” would have a nominal capacity of 20 GWh/year. At a later date, Tesla increased the production line capacity to 25 GWh/year.

Tesla has offically announced 100 GWh/year capacity for Austin, Berlin, and the Nevada GF1 expansion. CTO Drew stated on a quarterly earnings call that Austin had one 4680 production line running and would install three more lines to get to full 100 GWh/year capacity. IIRC.

GSP
Thank you.

If they do intend to get 100 GWh per factory of in-house 4680 cells then that implies 1.25m vehicles/year for each factory assuming average 80 kWh packs, and no external supply. As we know the external supply (LFP) is in fact scaling faster than the internal 4680 supply (phew).

Hopefully they'll soon give all shareholders an equal update on the situation at some point. That would be really nice. Otherwise 2024 is going to have a lot of shareholders doing a lot of nail-biting.

Were this ”amnesty“ to be formalized for this particular population of vehicles and owners without time limit, this would be a reasonable accommodation.

It seems pretty clear to me one of Teslas goals with this program is to try and reduce the # of people in the "We promised them L4 or better on existing HW" group, which are FSD buyers from ~Oct 2016 through ~March 2019- and instead move them into the "we never promised more than L2" group of everyone who bought FSD ~April 2019 and later.

That's part of why I'm not taking advantage of the trade in here... and eventually they'll need to deal with the remainder of those left behind in that group to whom they fail to deliver what they promised.

there is no "evidence" that FSD won't work on HW3.

There is of course. It's been discussed pretty extensively multiple times in the FSD areas (including the fact Tesla ran out of single-node in-car compute several years ago, being forced to spill the code across both nodes to get even the far-from-L4 FSDb we have today on HW3- so redundancy mentioned at the original AI day, and absolutely needed for an L4 or better car to safely operate, has been out the window for a long time now--- folks in the FSD forums dismiss this with magical thinking that Tesla will somehow add vast capability and complexity to the code that isn't there now AND also reduce the amount of compute needed to do it by >50% somehow to make it all fit into a single node on HW3- that magical thinking is what there's no evidence of being so)

At that point in time Tesla would be compensating these owners with an asset that cold generate hundreds of thousands of dollars - probably easier just to give the owners back the money they paid for FSD.

They'd probably need to give them more than that- at minimum full refund with interest, potentially more if buyers can present evidence their purchase of the vehicle was primarily based on the promise of L4 or better... and especially if a lawsuit over it would open Tesla to potentially embarrassing discovery about their own internal discussions of when they knew HW2 or HW3 weren't enough)--- really the easiest option for Tesla at that point (a point where they DO have working L4 on HWx where X is not currently known, since nobody including Tesla actually knows how much is enough until they achieve it) would be a new transfer program with more generous terms for the folks still in the 2016-3/2019 group.

Anyway as always these discussions are best done (and in the case of evidence HW3 ain't enough already have been, repeatedly) somewhere over here:

Whew! Was getting worried about this for a while now /s

Thank you.

If they do intend to get 100 GWh per factory of in-house 4680 cells then that implies 1.25m vehicles/year for each factory assuming average 80 kWh packs, and no external supply. As we know the external supply (LFP) is in fact scaling faster than the internal 4680 supply (phew).

Hopefully they'll soon give all shareholders an equal update on the situation at some point. That would be really nice. Otherwise 2024 is going to have a lot of shareholders doing a lot of nail-biting.
Panasonic recently abandoned the 4680 format in their new plant in Oklahoma as I recall. Given all of the benefits of the 4680, they must not have been convinced that the production problems were going to be resolved in a timely matter.

Panasonic recently abandoned the 4680 format in their new plant in Oklahoma as I recall. Given all of the benefits of the 4680, they must not have been convinced that the production problems were going to be resolved in a timely matter.

Huh?

That's from a couple weeks ago

Panasonic has said it is focusing on North America to build up capacity for production of 4680 batteries, the newest cells championed by Tesla's chief executive, Elon Musk... it said it planned to build at least two new factories for 4680 production in North America by 2030. Oklahoma has been seen as a possible site.

Family trip from Toronto to Prince Edward Island (PEI) a grand success. Canada is a beautiful country.
Took our 2018 Model 3 LR with 51k kms odometer (485km range which is only 7.6% degradation of battery from new).
3974km over nine days (equal to The White House, Washington DC to Miami, Florida and back, or Paris, France to Naples, Italy and back).
Saved $588 in transportation costs (compared with our ICE 20mpg vehicle), Our EV was 3.5X less expensive than ICE.
Prevented 1070kg of CO2 emissions being thrown into our atmosphere.

I live in a neighbourhood which has at least one Tesla on every street. Teslas are everywhere here, so I was quite shocked in my findings on the road.

East of Quebec City, Quebec, EVs are very rare, in the neighbourhood of one to every 250 to 300 vehicles I saw. We spent three days in PEI and I could count all the EVs I saw using my hands. Anyone thinking EVs will overtake ICE anytime soon is mistaken. This transition will take many more years than what my neighbourhood tells me. It felt like 2018 again as strangers would ask me about my EV and take photos of it.

On the flipside, EV chargers are very plentiful compared to EVs. Most exits off the major highways have EV chargers. Many of the Tesla Superchargers sites (every +-75km) also had third party charing sites. Almost all 3rd party sites were completely empty. Below photo is just South of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec.
Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 1.54.38 PM.png

It gets even better for charging. We were plugging in to 2 level charging sites at most destinations, whether beaches, Anne of Green Gables heritage site, motels, upscale hotels. If you look for them, they were near everywhere, and empty. We were leaving most places with a full charge. Many were free. At North Cape, PEI, the most Northern tip of PEI, before you hit the Atlantic Ocean, guess what, a GRIZZL EV charging, 30 amp, and was free. We spent three hours hiking the trails and walking the beach and added 120km.
Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 1.20.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 1.55.07 PM.png

While staying at Hotel-Musee Premieres Nations (highly recommended), just North of Quebec City, there were six FLO EV chargers that had yet to be connected, however the hotel also had two level 2 chargers. When I charged, I left a note on my dash stating "if anyone needs a charge, text me and I will vacate EV charging spot). Two hours later I received a text, went out to move my Tesla, and struck up a conversation with a Honda Clarity Plug-In owner. He said he had on order a Hyundai Ionic 5 and last heard still had a 12 month waiting period. I told him it would be worth the wait. Respect.

From Quebec City, Eastward out to PEI, every tenth vehicle on the highway was a loaded semi. The demand for Tesla semi is huge. Not sure why PEI (250km tip to tip) would not be perfect for EVs. They have huge amount of solar on residential homes, and good EV charging infrastructure. Used FLO charges at City Hall parking lot in Sumerside, PEI, across the street from our century home hotel were we stayed in PEI. The City had three GM Bolts with chargers on site.

I will leave my TMC friends with this image. The future? No, this is the present.
Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 1.54.07 PM.png

It seems pretty clear to me one of Teslas goals with this program is to try and reduce the # of people in the "We promised them L4 or better on existing HW" group, which are FSD buyers from ~Oct 2016 through ~March 2019- and instead move them into the "we never promised more than L2" group of everyone who bought FSD ~April 2019 and later.

That's part of why I'm not taking advantage of the trade in here... and eventually they'll need to deal with the remainder of those left behind in that group to whom they fail to deliver what they promised.

There is of course. It's been discussed pretty extensively multiple times in the FSD areas (including the fact Tesla ran out of single-node in-car compute several years ago, being forced to spill the code across both nodes to get even the far-from-L4 FSDb we have today on HW3- so redundancy mentioned at the original AI day, and absolutely needed for an L4 or better car to safely operate, has been out the window for a long time now--- folks in the FSD forums dismiss this with magical thinking that Tesla will somehow add vast capability and complexity to the code that isn't there now AND also reduce the amount of compute needed to do it by >50% somehow to make it all fit into a single node on HW3- that magical thinking is what there's no evidence of being so)

They'd probably need to give them more than that- at minimum full refund with interest, potentially more if buyers can present evidence their purchase of the vehicle was primarily based on the promise of L4 or better... and especially if a lawsuit over it would open Tesla to potentially embarrassing discovery about their own internal discussions of when they knew HW2 or HW3 weren't enough)--- really the easiest option for Tesla at that point (a point where they DO have working L4 on HWx where X is not currently known, since nobody including Tesla actually knows how much is enough until they achieve it) would be a new transfer program with more generous terms for the folks still in the 2016-3/2019 group.

Anyway as always these discussions are best done (and in the case of evidence HW3 ain't enough already have been, repeatedly) somewhere over here:

It’s false that Tesla has run out of compute on HW3.

I don’t remember which video in particular, but James Douma debunked this very thoroughly, and he has WAY more credibility than posters in the FSD area.

I appear to have woken up in a different universe, apparently here bussinessinsider is pro Tesla?

Well yeah, they always have been. That's why here at FordMotorsClub.com we don't like Business Insider.

Place your bets, what Quarter&Year will the Model Y pass the F150 in the US?

has a discussion I just had on this topic. Key points:

Tesla will take out the F150 from two angles
  1. The production of Model Y will increase approaching F150 numbers.
  2. The sales of Cybertruck will decrease sales of the F150 bringing it back to a lower number, making it an assailable target.
Model Y is growing sales this year 3 to 4 times faster than F150 https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2023-us-vehicle-sales-figures-by-model/

and that is before Austin gets ramped up to full production.

Last 3 years of F150 US
  • 2020 787,372
  • 2021 726,003
  • 2022 653,957
but 2023 looks to be on pace for a 7xx,xxx number.

https://digitalassets.tesla.com/tesla-contents/image/upload/TSLA-Q2-2023-Update.pdf

between Fremont and Austin there is capacity for over 500,000 a year run rate of US Model Y already

Eventually (some time in 2024?) US production of Model Y at Fremont + Austin will be around 750,000 per year run rate.

So the question is will F150 US still be able to sell more than that? If F150 US stays above 500,000 it can hold them off 6-9 months ?, if F150 US can stay above 600,000 it buys them time on top of that that. If F150 US can stay above 700,000 it buys a little more time. But the only way they stay ahead is if they stay above 800,000 and keep growing even as Model Y + Cybertruck try to eat at their sales.

I'm saying F150 US drops and Model Y rises. Both are going to happen. Where/when will they cross? That I don't know.

Family trip from Toronto to Prince Edward Island (PEI) a grand success. Canada is a beautiful country.
Took our 2018 Model 3 LR with 51k kms odometer (485km range which is only 7.6% degradation of battery from new).
3974km over nine days (equal to The White House, Washington DC to Miami, Florida and back, or Paris, France to Naples, Italy and back).
Saved $588 in transportation costs (compared with our ICE 20mpg vehicle), Our EV was 3.5X less expensive than ICE.
Prevented 1070kg of CO2 emissions being thrown into our atmosphere.

I live in a neighbourhood which has at least one Tesla on every street. Teslas are everywhere here, so I was quite shocked in my findings on the road.

East of Quebec City, Quebec, EVs are very rare, in the neighbourhood of one to every 250 to 300 vehicles I saw. We spent three days in PEI and I could count all the EVs I saw using my hands. Anyone thinking EVs will overtake ICE anytime soon is mistaken. This transition will take many more years than what my neighbourhood tells me. It felt like 2018 again as strangers would ask me about my EV and take photos of it.

On the flipside, EV chargers are very plentiful compared to EVs. Most exits off the major highways have EV chargers. Many of the Tesla Superchargers sites (every +-75km) also had third party charing sites. Almost all 3rd party sites were completely empty. Below photo is just South of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec.
View attachment 958917

It gets even better for charging. We were plugging in to 2 level charging sites at most destinations, whether beaches, Anne of Green Gables heritage site, motels, upscale hotels. If you look for them, they were near everywhere, and empty. We were leaving most places with a full charge. Many were free. At North Cape, PEI, the most Northern tip of PEI, before you hit the Atlantic Ocean, guess what, a GRIZZL EV charging, 30 amp, and was free. We spent three hours hiking the trails and walking the beach and added 120km.
View attachment 958923
View attachment 958918

While staying at Hotel-Musee Premieres Nations (highly recommended), just North of Quebec City, there were six FLO EV chargers that had yet to be connected, however the hotel also had two level 2 chargers. When I charged, I left a note on my dash stating "if anyone needs a charge, text me and I will vacate EV charging spot). Two hours later I received a text, went out to move my Tesla, and struck up a conversation with a Honda Clarity Plug-In owner. He said he had on order a Hyundai Ionic 5 and last heard still had a 12 month waiting period. I told him it would be worth the wait. Respect.

From Quebec City, Eastward out to PEI, every tenth vehicle on the highway was a loaded semi. The demand for Tesla semi is huge. Not sure why PEI (250km tip to tip) would not be perfect for EVs. They have huge amount of solar on residential homes, and good EV charging infrastructure. Used FLO charges at City Hall parking lot in Sumerside, PEI, across the street from our century home hotel were we stayed in PEI. The City had three GM Bolts with chargers on site.

I will leave my TMC friends with this image. The future? No, this is the present.
View attachment 958916
Awesome write up, thanks!

We head east in 3.5 weeks from Ottawa to near St Andrews NB for a week then to the south east tip of NS near Barrington Passage for a second week.

Plan is north shore of St Lawrence and then ferry crossing to Rivière-du-Loup; been told ferries are free for EVs in Quebec.

62 month old TM3, 110k km, 464 km at 100%, can’t wait to do the drive.

edit: corrected age of my car, took delivery in June 2018.

Mod: this is not a road trip forum, even on a weekend. No followups. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator: