Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I follow this account on Twitter. Pretty good analysis for TSLA 2030 earnings and stock price.

$123B in annual cash flow and stock price of $1226

Fun Fact: Which cost more in constant dollars, a 1928 Duesenberg Model J or a 2023 Tesla Model S Plaid (w. Ultra-Red paint, Arachnid wheels, FSD, and Track Pack)?

1928 Duesenberg Model J.jpg

A hundred years ago, the Model J was the Model S of it's era. Which would you rather drive? :D

Yup, it's a Duesy! $241,500 adjusted for inflation, vs about $153,250 for a loaded Model S

Moderator note: Please pay attention.
Two mods are away from their computers, and the remaining one (me) is semi-retired from the forum due to work at a startup. So when topics come up that gradually drift away from the purpose of this catch-all thread, it is almost impossible for us to do any meaningful clean-up by moving posts out, or even deleting some of them. We have been having an off-line discussion about this, and here is the proclamation:

Example 1: Self Driving. Yes, it's important, and posts that talk about economic impact to Tesla/TSLA are, or may be, relevant here. But posts talking about the technology behind it, whether competitors can succeed or not, whether you need HW3 vs HW4, and other speculations, should be (and should always have been) in the dedicated self-driving thread, not here.

Example 2: Plug in hybrids, plugged in or not, performance of BMW range extenders, are completely irrelevant to this thread. They could be in the investor's off-topic thread, or the actual argument about PHEVs thread, or start a dedicated thread. But no more here.

Example 3: Anything about Twitter/X does not belong here. The subject quickly becomes toxic.

Example 4: Disney parks and cruises? I don't even know how or where that one started.

So, before you reply, think about whether your reply has anything to do with TSLA investment. Take two deep breaths, count to 10, whatever. Please.

PS: remember that moving things takes work (and a plug for @Buckminster creating new threads), it's much easier for us to nuke from orbit.

--ggr o.b.o. the three amigorators.

I hope this is OK in the after market.

When I posted this I was exited and forgot to mention my source. Later I could not edit the post.

Source was Tsla Chan on X:

Looks like earth moving machines are finally arriving at Giga Mexico:

The video mentions drone footage by Omar Benavides - but I could not find his uploads anywhere. Perhaps your google-fu is better than mine?

Edit: The guy looks like he is surveying the land. But the digger could just as easily be parked there by the road authorities or someone.

The I3 had a lawnmower motor as the Range Extender, I swear it was the worst thing BMW ever came up with. To come up with it, and then to have upper mgmt approve this was beyond me.
That was back in the day when "EVs will never take off and we will ensure that result by making EVs which give a poor driver experience". That tactic failed big time.

GM and F getting kicked to the curb (thanks, UAW):

Components of the S&P 500

#CompanySymbolWeight PriceChg% Chg
148General Motors CoGM0.135225
down.gif
-1.91(-5.25%)
149Ford Motor CoF0.133732
down.gif
-0.55(-4.28%)
I suspect we'll all get educated on UAWs willingness to play chicken with bankruptcy well beyond the point of no return. I belive what's coming will be bankruptcies and direct look into the UAWs cold, dark, unbeating heart...

Moderator note: Please pay attention.
Two mods are away from their computers, and the remaining one (me) is semi-retired from the forum due to work at a startup. So when topics come up that gradually drift away from the purpose of this catch-all thread, it is almost impossible for us to do any meaningful clean-up by moving posts out, or even deleting some of them. We have been having an off-line discussion about this, and here is the proclamation:

Example 1: Self Driving. Yes, it's important, and posts that talk about economic impact to Tesla/TSLA are, or may be, relevant here. But posts talking about the technology behind it, whether competitors can succeed or not, whether you need HW3 vs HW4, and other speculations, should be (and should always have been) in the dedicated self-driving thread, not here.

Example 2: Plug in hybrids, plugged in or not, performance of BMW range extenders, are completely irrelevant to this thread. They could be in the investor's off-topic thread, or the actual argument about PHEVs thread, or start a dedicated thread. But no more here.

Example 3: Anything about Twitter/X does not belong here. The subject quickly becomes toxic.

Example 4: Disney parks and cruises? I don't even know how or where that one started.

So, before you reply, think about whether your reply has anything to do with TSLA investment. Take two deep breaths, count to 10, whatever. Please.

PS: remember that moving things takes work (and a plug for @Buckminster creating new threads), it's much easier for us to nuke from orbit.

--ggr o.b.o. the three amigorators.

So . . . the interns are in charge? 😁

I follow this account on Twitter. Pretty good analysis for TSLA 2030 earnings and stock price.

$123B in annual cash flow and stock price of $1226

He's about 10% below the Stephenson indicator for 2030. I think his number will look hilariously conservative by then.

Fun Fact: Which cost more in constant dollars, a 1928 Duesenberg Model J or a 2023 Tesla Model S Plaid (w. Ultra-Red paint, Arachnid wheels, FSD, and Track Pack)?

View attachment 963804

A hundred years ago, the Model J was the Model S of it's era. Which would you rather drive? :D

Yup, it's a Duesy! $241,500 adjusted for inflation, vs about $153,250 for a loaded Model S
Makes sense though. A Duesy is more like a Rolls Royce than a Tesla.

I came across this explanation as to why Japan went with Hydrogen. I only watched Part 1 below, but very informative.

In a nutshell...

1. China was the key supplier of rare earth minerals for Japan - used as leverage on Japanese markets since early 2000's.
2. EVs/Batteries became risky for Japan, China had already cut off materials in 2014 to Japan over a fishing dispute/water rights.
3. Toyota and Honda executives dominated the politics from the inside and took advantage of Japanese Hydrogen subsidies.
4. The end.

Very good analysis.

I suspect we'll all get educated on UAWs willingness to play chicken with bankruptcy well beyond the point of no return. I belive what's coming will be bankruptcies and direct look into the UAWs cold, dark, unbeating heart...

IRRC, the last time GM went bankrupt circa 2009, a whole bunch of UAW retirees lost their GM pensions. But why would the UAW leadership care about that, huh? This article is from Jan 18, 2022: (wonder how many died waiting)

Just a reminder, go back and listen to the earnings conference call and in particular Drew's comments around Megapack/Energy. Draw your own conclusions but it seemed rather obvious to me that Drew was hinting multiple times that they plan on recognizing revenue from a number of projects that either already have been completed so far in Q3 or will be completed by end of Q3.

[X vid]

Just a reminder, go back and listen to the earnings conference call and in particular Drew's comments around Megapack/Energy. Draw your own conclusions but it seemed rather obvious to me that Drew was hinting multiple times that they plan on recognizing revenue from a number of projects that either already have been completed so far in Q3 or will be completed by end of Q3.

... and the video on Youtube:

Tesla Fremont + Lathrop 08/10/2023 | "Met God in Wilderness" on YouTube (qued to Lathrop @ 9:46)

Yes, that's 193 Megapacks sitting in Lathrop logistics yards, or about $386M in finished inventory. :D

Cheers!

Last edited: