Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I think both the dedicated robotaxi and Teslabot will be leased/rented services rather than sold. Ordinary Tesla cars will be part of the robotaxi service, and Tesla will just take a cut of the fares passengers will be charged through the Tesla app for ride hailing. This is how Tesla will extract $100k or more from each FSD ”sale”. It would cost way too much as an up front cost, so it’ll be an on going fee.

Teslabot will be this on steroids. The bot will cost at most $20k to mass produce (probably even cheaper), but the utility if they were to sell it could easily be $250k, so they’ll just rent it out at $10/hr, undercut human labor and make a boatload of money.

As usual with Tesla products, Teslabot V1 will be a minimum viable product, and won’t be worth $250K (among other problems, the hands need to be more dexterous and have more sensors). But I could see them getting there in five years.

I don’t know how you can be so definitive unless you’re in the Tesla team. I know several engineers at tesla and even I’m not that definitive. Like three months ago if you ran a poll most people her would’ve said the Tesla robotaxi was going to be some shuttle*ish thing or modular design that can expand to a minivan. Not a two seater.

For the record I think the final design will conceptually be a two seater robotaxi and narrow 4 seater compact that can fit on those narrow streets globally.
You missed my point that NO global Taxi would be a low slung format that was easy to ingress and egress by older folk, and other people with assorted physical limitations. These all look lower than my Model 3 and that is garbage for getting in and out of. I do not see many local governments not taking this into consideration when issuing licences.

I'll take 1000 tesla bots without legs (1/2 BOT).
As a 'reformed' Manufacturing Engineer working in contract electronics manufacturing (building circuit boards) - we had floors of 100's of people (humans) working on assembly lines (manual product movement, manual processes).
It was lowish volume, very high mix manufacturing - lots of changes, fast.

The people were the problem. They were good people, took pride in their work - but still - people.

MIT just announced very dexterous, soft hands for robotics. Tesla should look at this. I agree that assembly lines for circuit boards with a 1/2 bot and microscopic vision with stepped down finger movements would be really cool.
There are many other similar manufacturing applications like this, that a robot did not break the bank, but returned its value versus a human in a year or even 2 would be a killer app.

Hey Elon, you are gonna let some students beat you? C'mon, give us the Roadster 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024?

But seriously, these guys are awesome, been following them for years since I was involved with similar projects in uni, the engineering they do and the support they get from the university and sponsors to make it happen is mind blowing

Vs the situation here "Oh really nice all the work you guys did building it and representing the university, specially with the limited resources, since us, the university won't help in any way, I know you guys need a transport for the competition, there is a truck and bus available for the date, but it can't be used for that, good luck, see ya"

From the Financial Times:

Headline: Tesla: Fantasy Supercomputer Projections Boost Stock

'The Dojo supercomputer project, which uses Nvidia chips, is far from complete. Musk has suggested it may help cars to communicate with one another - though this is not necessary for autonomous driving.'

Great work FT..

Amazing

They managed to get every single point wrong, takes effort to manage that