Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I just picked up my Roadster!

This should give us a boost for Q4…

At Costco… get them while they last…! 😉

IMG_1345.jpeg

Watching the Ford roast with Q&As to the Board. Seems the whole battery plant pause is over what role, if any, the UAW will play in the EV space. The response keeps coming up that Ford “needs to be competitive against Tesla and BYD.” The framework to negotiate is there… that’s it.

Oh, and with their latest offer, after 20% increases, if you work 30 yrs at Ford, you’ll have 1M in a retirement 401k. 30? Is that because they’re “building new engines too”?

I dont have a link, just look up uaw and Ford roast. Jim is literally tight lipped after every statement, almost gonna explode! If Beaker had a human double…
Go for the jugular UAW! I’m rooting for you to put Ford out of business, then GM.

Perhaps the most dangerous time when there's a lack of liquidity with high interest rates. Companies with strong balance sheets and positive cash flows can weather the storm while companies that's nowhere near cash flow positive having a hard time surviving.

This is hurting so many companies and people, it's a double edged sword, interest rates makes it worse to get money to invest in growth and also takes money away because in 99.9% of the case people will spend less. Company I work(ed) had an awesome 2021 and 2022, quite cash positive but not huge reserves, we needed to grow since order queue were months long, we invested in growth to be able to satisfy the imense demand

Comes 2023, last Friday was our last day, doors closed and bankrupt, thanks JPow

Watching the Ford roast with Q&As to the Board. Seems the whole battery plant pause is over what role, if any, the UAW will play in the EV space. The response keeps coming up that Ford “needs to be competitive against Tesla and BYD.” The framework to negotiate is there… that’s it.

Oh, and with their latest offer, after 20% increases, if you work 30 yrs at Ford, you’ll have 1M in a retirement 401k. 30? Is that because they’re “building new engines too”?

I dont have a link, just look up uaw and Ford roast. Jim is literally tight lipped after every statement, almost gonna explode! If Beaker had a human double…
That's just time based compounding.

5% of a 65k salary into the S&P for 30 years(with a 5% raise/year) will get you to 1M in retirement. This doesn't even involve company matching to get there.

Today’s P&D numbers weren’t too bad. Was disappointed that inventory wasn‘t drawn down more, but as others have noted there is a large build up of highland 3s awaiting permission to sell in China AND on ships heading to Europe. If Tesla was allowed to deliver Highland in China during September the delivery number would likely have been tens of thousands of units higher (450k+) and inventory drawdown would have been more like 20k+ instead of just 5k.

======

I do wonder what model 3 sales are like in North America at present where the old non-highland model is the only option for buyers.

======

Tesla today updated its annual vehicle guidance

Previous: 1.8 million to “maybe 2 million”
Current: “around 1.8 million”

(Self inflicted wound on Elons part there with his offhand maybe 2 million number)

This means Q4 will be a record number of 475,926 to hit the 1.8m target. This should be a lock, presuming there are no unexpected hiccups.

======

The S&X numbers were not good, especially given the massive price cuts.

Fair to question what has happened to demand at the high end amongst more wealthy EV buyers. I think there is an answer that is perhaps obvious given the avalanche of anecdotes by many people (but we cant mention that reason on this forum).

======

October 18th is Q3 earnings. Not long to wait.

Last edited:
Much of the weight of a semi is in the engine (can be 5,000 to 15,000 lbs), transmission, fifth wheel, and driveline. The sheet metal doesn't add a lot. Fuel adds around 2,000 lbs.
Sure.

But I was primarily comparing the two. A Telsa Semi weighing twice as much as a Diesel seems surprising. I wonder if that comment was accurate.

To give you all an idea of the revenue opportunity, just look at ChargePoint. They mostly concentrate on the L2 network. Their revenue comes from hardware sales, network subscriptions, and maintenance contracts. They don't take a cut of the electricity delivered. Their annual revenue is already $600 million and they are tiny compared to where this market is going.
Revenue yes, profit ...

Here is chargepoint: P&L