Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im am sure the glitch will be fixed soon.... ;)
1696877767452.png

Looks like they finally corrected it.

Waymo test in crazy Venice beach traffic (Elektrek link)

I find this quite interesting comparing it to our FSD.
The fact that Waymo needs a fleet response team is a big problem. They have a control center to help the car out of tough situations remotely. And I believe they still have standby drivers in the field where two humans are deployed per car with several cars spread out in the service area. All these human workers and extra cars are expensive. And that's on top of the expense of the driverless car itself and the hardware/software development team.

As I always say about Waymo and Cruise, I'm waiting for the day when they say, "We see a clear path to profitability." For now, the silence is deafening.

To say S+X sales have cratered because they're back not up to the levels before 3+Y existed... lol. I spent $100,000+ on my 2013 Model S because it was the only viable EV out there. If there had been a $40,000 Model 3 floating about... I would have gotten that.

Add the sales of all four products together before you say something has cratered. We should expect lower S+X sales now than in 2017/2018, otherwise something is very wrong!

To say S+X sales have cratered because they're back not up to the levels before 3+Y existed... lol. I spent $100,000+ on my 2013 Model S because it was the only viable EV out there. If there had been a $40,000 Model 3 floating about... I would have gotten that.

Add the sales of all four products together before you say something has cratered. We should expect lower S+X sales now than in 2017/2018, otherwise something is very wrong!
My X order has been Osborned since November 21, 2019...

S/X deliveries by year:

2023 - 10,695 + 19,225 + 15,985 + ? = maybe 60-65,000 total?
2022 - 66,705
2021 - 24,964 (yes, the update/transition was messed up)
2020 - 57,039 (COVID issues)
2019 - 66,771 (Model 3 production up, fulfilling EV demand, so less demand for S/X)
2018 - 99,394 (People itching for an EV, and Model 3 in the news but not ramped up yet?)
2017 - 101,312 (People itching for an EV, and anticipating the Model 3 that they can't have yet?)
2016 - 76,230
2015 - ~50,000
2014 - ~32,000
2013 - ~22,400
2012 - ~2,600

So, if we ignore the unusually high years (2017 and 2018), and the unusually low years (2020, 2021), it looks like 2022 and 2023 are pretty in-line with expectations. The most fair comparison is probably 2019, since that is a year with no unusual events and was after the initial Fremont ramp-up of the less expensive Model 3. And, throughout 2022 and 2023, the Model Y and 3 have continued to ramp up in availability, which should have added further downward pressure on S/X sales.
Something else to keep in mind is that in early 2019, if I remember correctly, Tesla discontinued the 75D variants of the Model S and X. That did two things:
  • Raised the entry price for the S&X.
  • Reduced production capacity. Model S&X use 18650 cells, from Panasonic in Japan, and there is essentially a fixed supply of them. By putting larger packs in all S&X variants it reduced their production capacity.
    • Tesla likely buffered supply of those cells in 2021 when they weren't making many vehicles, but that buffer is limited.

S/X sales have held up pretty well in North America given the factors you cited and the fact that Tesla discontinued the standard range model and only recently brought it back.

However all things considered, they have cratered in Europe and China.

Don't let the headlines fool you even if they sound good.

Tesla Model Y Is World’s Best-Selling EV in August, as Global EV Sales Reach 18% (on Oct 09) says EV sales are 18%. But their source is

World EV Sales Now Equal 18% Of World Auto Sales - CleanTechnica which (on Oct 07) says plugins represented 18% share of the overall auto market (with a 13% BEV share alone)

So someone at driveteslacanada (Eva Fox or her editor?) mashed up an incorrect headline (maybe just parroting the misleading headline from the source article at cleantechnica).

Again the correct number is 13% EV share worldwide not 18%.

Last edited:
Bingo! 🤪 Oops! Bingo! Oobinoopbingo…crap
No green for you!

Oil prices rising on conflict fears when gas prices are already high
Inflation burning far hotter than lying govt numbers, especially food and housing.
Wages stagnant

In all of this, Tesla offers products that don't use gasoline, have lower maintenance costs, and are far safer. The company is lowering prices while expanding production and has a fortress of a balance sheet.

Naturally, no one should invest in such a company.

In Germany:

The Tesla factory has a workers council (Betriebsrat).

Currently the metal workers Union (IGM) is trying to get a foothold in the factory. There have been reports in the media about bad working conditions in the factory, a lot if accidents, injuries, a lot of pressure and a lot of ill workers. None of these have I seen proven or plausible. The factory is tightly monitored by the authorities.

Nonetheless, the IGM is reported to have held meetings with workers to inform them of their rights. They have set up a special internet site for Tesla employees:

Media reports are in general not favorable for tesla, e.g.

Tesla will need to manage their reputation - and they will. It is important, that not all information comes from one side. Tesla is said to have held employee meetings to address the concerns.

I am confident it will end well. Keep in mind that German Unions are in no way comparable to UAW.

But what about... this!

A Swedish company is making flat-pack cars – but it’s not the one you think

Stockholm-based startup Luvly, founded in 2015, says its debut, ready-to-assemble car is so small and light that it can significantly reduce the carbon emissions associated with shipping....
Isn't shipping only a small part of the car's total carbon footprint? Also I suspect it only includes shipping of the disassembled car, not the components going into the car.

IMO, used Tesla's right now are the best value in the auto industry. Affordability is of course YMMV but for the amount of car you get and the used prices these days, hard to beat a Tesla.

Im waiting for the used PLAID S to come down to the $50k range and ill pull the trigger :)
I mean I am a Bull but owning a Model s Out of warranty is not easy especially a p Model that at least in eu tesla couldnt Provide Batteries as replacement that fit the power requirements. And the used battery market is also heated. So not sure why everyone agrees to this, I guess in the us you have 3rd party options already that so far are lacking in eu ( I sold my p85+ last year as tesla could only provide a 350v battery pack as replacement for over 20k)

Last edited:
I mean I am a Bull but owning a Model s Out of warranty is not easy especially a p Model that at least in eu tesla couldnt Provide Batteries as replacement that fit the power requirements. And the used battery market is also heated. So not sure why everyone agrees to this, I guess in the us you have 3rd party options already that so far are lacking in eu ( I sold my p85+ last year as tesla could only provide a 350v battery pack as replacement for over 20k)
Yes,

I was referring to the used Tesla market here in the US strictly.