Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would argue that, since the 4680 ramp is late, this has equated to a late CT launch as well. Elon kept saying CT would launch in Q3 and yet here we are in Q4 and still no launch. Yes I know it is coming "soon", but to say that CT launch is "on time" would be a stretch IMHO.

I'm not saying this is a terrible nor surprising thing as Elon is usually late on his optimistic timelines, all I'm saying is it's difficult to state that both the 4680 and CT are "on schedule". :cool:
Kept saying? When exactly?

Q4 2022: "And to be clear, for 2023, Cybertruck will not be a significant contributor to the bottom line, but it will be next year."
"We do expect production to start, I don't know, maybe sometime this summer. But I always like try to downplay the start of production because the start of production is always very slow. It increases exponentially, but it's always very slow at first. So I wouldn't put too much thought in start of production.

It's kind of when does volume production actually happen, and that's next year."

Lars:
Yes, that's right. Like just to emphasize on that, we've started installation of all the production equipment here in Giga Texas, castings, GA, general assembly, body shops. We built all our beta vehicles, some more coming still in the next month, but as you said, the ramp will really come 2024.

Elon: Yes, exactly.

Q1 2023, probably in Q3
Q2 2023: "So, always very difficult to predict the -- the ramp initially, but I think we'll be making them in high volume next year, and we will be delivering the car this year."

Executives, boards of directors, etc in corporations also have fiduciary obligations to their shareholders. They are obligated to act in shareholder's best interests, controls costs to the best of their abilities, and maximize revenue to the best of their abilities.

We can question strategy and all that, and I think prudent shareholders should always have opinions on that stuff, but the idea that Tesla isn't trying to make as much money as possible -- that would be a breach of their obligations to investors.
I can't disagree with your rationale here, but I wonder if a broader sense of "fiduciary duty" might be at play here. From Merriam Websters online dictionary:

Fiduciary relationships are often of the financial variety, but the word fiduciary does not, in and of itself, suggest pecuniary ("money-related") matters. Rather, fiduciary applies to any situation in which one person justifiably places confidence and trust in someone else, and seeks that person's help or advice in some matter. The attorney-client relationship is a fiduciary one, for example, because the client trusts the attorney to act in the best interest of the client at all times. Fiduciary can also be used as a noun referring to the person who acts in a fiduciary capacity, and fiduciarily or fiducially can be called upon if you are in need of an adverb. The words are all faithful to their origin: Latin fīdere, which means "to trust."
Is it possible that the shareholders "trust" the board to (in priority order):
1) Execute the publicly stated mission of the company, then
2) Take the financial and other measures appropriate in support of #1?

Not meant as snark; a genuine thought on the broadness of the term "fiduciary" along with the thought that many of us (even a supposedly misanthropic cat if I read things right) are shareholders in this company for the mission first, so our fiduciary trust is first and foremost "execute the mission". Hopefully financial gains follow for our fine foresight, but that could be fungible ;)

Bond fears again, might turn into increased Banking fears.
Afraid to buy more TSLA today, but tempting!!! This could drag on as it's systemic with the US dollar.
Thoughts?

Edit to change link: Wall Street Isn’t Sure It Can Handle All of Washington’s Bonds

"That brings us to this afternoon, when a Treasury auction of 30-year
bonds was poorly received. Weak demand from buyers like foreign investors
forced big banks to buy more than 18% of the issuance. Banks, which are
required to buy any bonds the rest of Wall Street doesn't, typically
don't buy more than 11% of a Treasury Bond auction, according to BMO.
Wall Street isn't sure there's enough demand for the debt to keep yields contained. Read more below."

Good thing I waited 🤪

Sale ends... sometime right?

1697133786652.png

For this one
No. TSLA and many other stocks begun to fall sharply 15-20min before the publication of that article. (Unless you're saying Loada Bologny leaked her article to short sellers... she would never do that would she?)

CNBC is out with a bombshell report that Tesla is not under investigation by the SEC. What's inexcusable is that this investigations wasn't launched in 2021 and Tesla hasn't even informed investors yet.

I don't think this is moving the stock nearly as much as Bonds having a lack of demand today and then then Banks buying them up because our laws require this. (Yikes, didn't know this.)

Pounded into my brain on TMC is that when Yields go up TSLA falls "because it's a growth stock." Buying opportunity IMO, but not advise!

Executives, boards of directors, etc in corporations also have fiduciary obligations to their shareholders. They are obligated to act in shareholder's best interests, controls costs to the best of their abilities, and maximize revenue to the best of their abilities.

We can question strategy and all that, and I think prudent shareholders should always have opinions on that stuff, but the idea that Tesla isn't trying to make as much money as possible -- that would be a breach of their obligations to investors.
As someone with decades of background experience in corporate fiduciary trust, it behooves me to temper that statement with nuance. What you write is true in general, but with either hundreds or, more likely, thousands of court cases - and uncountable numbers of pre-court settlements - having demonstrated, there is immense latitude Boards of Directors for USA corporations have to exercise such obligations.

* WHAT is the "best interest" of the shareholders? For what fraction of them? Which kinds - institutional, individual, long-term, short-term, etc.? What about non-shareholding "stakeholders": owners of its corporate bonds; employees; local populace; associated municipal etc. political entities; salamanders, spotted owls and polka-dotted unicorns, and so forth?
* HOW MUCH oversight is appropriate for attaining the goals of controlling costs? When does Board macromanaging...managing...micromanaging cross the line from being feckless to being appropriate to being efficiency-undermining meddling?
*MAXIMIZING REVENUE is a goal for...when? For this quarter? For the remainder of the senior managements' days to the full vesting of their Golden Parachutes? For the hereafter?
*HOW best for the Board to balance maximizing revenue vs. maximizing profits? Again: for what time interval? Determining what ratio of the balance sheet as retained profits vs to shareholder dividends? Spending...how much?...time determining how aggressively to assuage Wall St. entities so that its stock price enhances its ability at...which?...future date to raise capital?

And, most specifically in the case of Tesla Inc:

The early declaration, promulgation and subsequent refinements of its Corporate Mission. Tesla is close to unique in having shared with all stakeholders its Mission as, distilled, being the salvation of the planet and of humanity - corporeal if not spiritual. In my own ongoing gedankenexperiment as imagining myself a member of the Board, I cannot but hold that Mission is such a long-term project that I must provide it as much flexibility - far, far more than the norm - in fulfilling that laudable goal as I can. And that will, necessarily, subject to maintaining the company's financial well-being (ie, a strong balance sheet), override or at the least diminish to inconsequence, effectively all merely pecuniary objectives.

If you got all that, then answer this question: Would you really want to be a member of Tesla's Board? ;)

on edit: @Growler, the time it took for me to craft the above meant your well-written post preceded mine. Good…other than that THOSE OF US WHO ARE SHAREHOLDERS ARE the beneficiaries for whom the Board is the fiduciary. But I understand your sentiments.

Last edited:
You denied it's late (which it objectively is, see below) by...explaining to us why it's late...

Tesla stated Cybertruck was scheduled to be released in late 2021 for the dual-motor AWD version when they announced the product in 2019... and when that slipped Elon said "If we get lucky, we’ll be able to do a few deliveries toward the end of this year (2021), but I expect volume productions to begin in 2022." and they're also late for that.
Just a few months ago Elon said end Q3. Here we go again.

I had the same thought and then wondered if it's actually Tesla creating the ad or some interested 3rd party. Also, the front end looks like an AI mashup of two different Era Model S to me.

So I could be incorrect about it being Tesla doing the advertising on Facebook.
Doesn’t matter, it just looks a lot better than the current no chrome car, and is a far better picture than Tesla uses on the website. It’s like they’re trying to make all the cars look as ugly as possible.
h

Reactions: petit_bateau
Just a few months ago Elon said end Q3. Here we go again.
Exactly. I'm not in the, "Elon promised!" Camp. I understand schedules change and it's hard to forecast new production and supply chains. My complaint is that Tesla continues to have very poor communication. It was excusable 7 years ago but not today.

I test drove a model s three weeks ago. Since then, Tesla has contacted me twice about buying one. Each time I have provided feedback that I'm waiting for release specs and pricing on the cybertruck before making a decision. It would be fun to have both but that's not the current situation.

I'm one customer with feedback and this is not changing my mind on being a fan of the products. Simply, communication needs improvement

Is Giga Berlin still making cars or did they go ahead with that 1 day work week thing? We need Tom Zhu over there sleeping on the floor and yelling at people. Is the coffee machine broken? They hit 4000 per week spurt in February.......? Its a production ramp, they just don't know which direction the ramp is supposed to go. Who's running the show over there.. I thought Berlin would be really adding to the the bottom line by now with production in the 60-70K quarterly. Same with Austin. Also, Just announce the cyber event already. Id rather them set the event a month further out and just have something in the media than this total blackout. How about some specs? Nothing makes me want to order a vehicle than knowing absolutely nothing about it. My guess they will wait until the day after the stock plunges on ER results to mention anything.

This post started off as a funny joke and wound up depressing tale of woe.
GO TESLA GO. Hoping for great numbers from Tesla Energy

January was a full term baby ago...
3 months ago he said end of year.
Are you also complaining that the Cybertruck is late? (Can't tell) If so... my message to all the complainers is... look, they've got to get the Cybertruck right. Just like every other vehicle they've released. Do you want them to release a shambols shoddy product - but on the original schedule? And we then have to endure years of FUD related to quality? Just so you can say "they're on schedule with their product releases" 🤣

IMO we will see Cybertrucks released to customers this year, but they reserve the right to polish ot and make it as good as possible. I think the release date will be known by the end of next week.