Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition we should fully expect to see some manufacturer bring modular upgrades for existing trailers that include a battery, motor, axle and springs package.

Drop the trailer's existing axle and springs, then install the appropriately sized replacement e-axle(s) kit. Re-tag the trailer for any adjustment for effect of additional weight to the GVWR, and roll.

This would work well for utility and camper trailers paired with an EV, though wouldn't address any aerodynamic problems the existing trailer might bring.
That's a HUGE investment for a trailer that may be used very intermittently. I also don't know that the frame of existing trailers will handle the weight of a large EV pack, even if consumers would be willing to pay the price.

That's a HUGE investment for a trailer that may be used very intermittently. I also don't know that the frame of existing trailers will handle the weight of a large EV pack, even if consumers would be willing to pay the price.

Probably more appropriate for the expensive "camping" trailers...even a small one of those costs like $25K...all the way up to big ones that cost well over $100k. Airstream prices are serious!

Also, probably doesn't need a big battery pack or powerful motors. You're right that a big battery for range would be a waste in most rarely-used trailers. But, with a small battery more like a hybrid car setup, the trailer could provide some boost for accelerating, support on hill climbs, and some regen braking. A Chevy Volt type battery pack was only like 15 kWh, but that chemistry could charge and regen at high power.

Add some solar on the trailer roof, and you could use the battery like a Powerwall and get rid of the gas generator while parked/camping too.

Retrofits might be too diverse a market...but with Tesla's press images showing that custom cyber-trailer, I hope they're thinking about something like this for new trailers and perhaps considering partnering with a trailer manufacturer.

Reactions: FireMedic

I wouldn't expect them to sell a lot of them. But, it is a greater than zero chance that some trailer owners would be willing to make that part of their move to an EV.

This could be a deciding factor between making an EV purchase and upgrading their favorite work, boat, or RV trailer, or settling for another ICE tow vehicle.

As for the weight, that would be designed into the powered package that includes springs, axle, and wheels made to provide support for a specific weight range. This was indicated as "appropriately sized" in the original post. The trailer would attach to it as it did to the previous springs. Unlikely to add stress on the frame as a slide-in self-contained package.

Another advantage for this rig would be the regenerative braking aspect's dual role of recharging and conserving brake components.

Last edited:
Reactions: EQC_
Imagine a Roaster with a 800v 200KWh structural pack that weighs the same as a Model S Plaid, lays down 1.21MW of power, recharges in 15 min at a MegaCharger, and the bty lasts 10,000 cycles. Yeah, let's go there! Let's do that! :D

Cheers!
Sir, please, this is an all-ages forum!

The idea is drool-worthy. Very much hope the stock is in a better place so I can trade some for that beast.

Probably more appropriate for the expensive "camping" trailers...even a small one of those costs like $25K...all the way up to big ones that cost well over $100k. Airstream prices are serious!

Also, probably doesn't need a big battery pack or powerful motors. You're right that a big battery for range would be a waste in most rarely-used trailers. But, with a small battery more like a hybrid car setup, the trailer could provide some boost for accelerating, support on hill climbs, and some regen braking. A Chevy Volt type battery pack was only like 15 kWh, but that chemistry could charge and regen at high power.

Add some solar on the trailer roof, and you could use the battery like a Powerwall and get rid of the gas generator while parked/camping too.

Already exists. For sale since Spring 2023:

The Future of RV camping? Lightship all-electric trailer | Munro Live (May 22, 2023)

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel and EQC_
Here's the math simple as can be that they are still above the 50% CAGR even if you assume 0 deliveries in Q4 2023.
Nice post, but this statement simply isn't true. I think you got confused by TTM delivery numbers.

Deliveries this year have so far been 1,324,074. So to get to the 50% CAGR number of 1,686,309, Tesla has to deliver 362,235 vehicles in Q4. That should be easy, all things considered. They've delivered more than that in each of the last four quarters.

better (AR) look at the ballistics tested cybertruck

1697854750246.png

FTFY. ;)

Cheers to the OG CyberSquad!

I dont think yoiu have to be a macroeconomics nerd to get the impression that interest rates are high, and will not stay high forever. If I had to finance a new car, and it was not SUPER urgent, I would definitely hold off on buying one for as long as I could.
Same with houses. I know 4 people trying to sell houses in our village (a record!) and none are moving. There is zero interest. People are not nuts, they can do basic math, or they know someone who can. Cars and Houses are the two biggest purchases for most people. The decisions they make on those purchases define their medium term standard of living.
I don't think its at all surprising that new car sales are struggling in this environment.

I also think this screws over ICE makers EVEN MORE! If you are *not sure* about taking the plunge for an EV, but tempted to delay your purchase by 6 months anyway due to interest rates and an uncertain economy, then you may also think that by then you might be in a position to get an EV instead of another ICE car. The tech will be better, and cheaper, and you might have saved some cash while you wait.

I'm very much looking forward to Q3 and Q4 reports from the legacy car companies. Some interesting comparisons with Tesla's finances are only days or weeks away. Then cybertruck!

Not enough credit is given to #Tesla ATM. They’re hitting some seriously epic milestones:

- Best selling car worldwide
- 5 million sales total, 1 million in Europe, - 4680 production milestones with new cell
- Doubling of AI supercomputing in a single quarter
- FSD 12 being full neural network
-Energy margins being way above expectations, 90% energy growth YoY.
- Supercharger becoming the de facto standard in America.
- Best priced EVs for quality and features.
- Optimus seeing way better than expected

WS can complaint all they want, they simply lack the understanding.

I hope they just sell, they can FOMO in later, we know how this tune goes.

Feel a number of credibility items for Tesla to achieve.
Successful CyberTruck launch that isnt a duplication of Sem launch. Start delivering November 30th and continue delivering in ever increasing number aka a ramp.
Hit 1.8M
Transition to Model 3 Highland worldwide quickly and in volumes back at existing Model 3 is at.

If we're making credibility wish lists, FSD>L2 should be at the top as it's been a promise unfulfilled far longer than anything else on there