Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Towing is great for the Semi truck?

But for smaller more general purpose vehicles like the CyberTruck, another technological advance may be to have battery and motor suppor in the trailers rather than lug around the extra 50% capacity for just in case we are towing today in the Cybertruck.
How do you think the typical CyberTruck owner who doesn't tow or just tows locally would respond to a reduction in extra battery capacity of 50%? and where did you get the 50%? Talk about a firestorm of criticism if Tesla made that change. :)

Reactions: dhrivnak
Cameras wouldn't have the random coverage, and because they are in a fixed location, they can be defeated. Optimus, set on a random pattern, plus cameras would make it just about impossible to commit a crime without getting caught. Also Optimus, properly trained, would be able to spot suspicious activity.
I think fixed cameras would do that better. Fixed cameras can see all places at all times. There is no reason that Optimus would be able to spot suspicious activity any better than fixed cameras and a neural net.

I suspect that there are other duties a security guard has that Optimus could do though. I just don't know enough about the job to say what that would be.

How do you think the typical CyberTruck owner who doesn't tow or just tows locally would respond to a reduction in extra battery capacity of 50%? and where did you get the 50%? Talk about a firestorm of criticism if Tesla made that change. :)
Smart trailer with batteries are definitely a thing, with the current downside of expense and low utilization. If you think a car is rarely used, that trailer makes the car look busy in comparison.
Perhaps that smart trailer could be grid connected while it waits to be used, earning arbitrage and acting as a whole house backup. Hmmmm....

I think they may well use the FSD chip from the bot, and the actuators from the bot, and even the bot arms, but for a fixed location on the line, its inefficient (and elon hates that) to build a bipedal robot that will just stand at a fixed spot on the line. You might as well do away with any variability in stance etc and just weld a bot torso to that point on the line :D.

Great Opera: "Phantom of the Brake Shoe" by Android Lloyd Webster. :D

Smart trailer with batteries are definitely a thing, with the current downside of expense and low utilization. If you think a car is rarely used, that trailer makes the car look busy in comparison.
Perhaps that smart trailer could be grid connected while it waits to be used, earning arbitrage and acting as a whole house backup. Hmmmm....
Don't disagree about a smart trailer at all, It was the suggestion the battery capacity be significantly reduced that would not be well received IMO by many if not the majority of owners. Of course Tesla could always offer a reduced range CT but by reducing the battery by 50% I think not.

First reports of cybertruck pricing being mentioned to buyers?

1698157324872.png

I think fixed cameras would do that better. Fixed cameras can see all places at all times. There is no reason that Optimus would be able to spot suspicious activity any better than fixed cameras and a neural net.

I suspect that there are other duties a security guard has that Optimus could do though. I just don't know enough about the job to say what that would be.

I did think of a similar use case where Optimus would be better than cameras. Optimus would be great as a temporary security guard for an outdoor event or some other place where you just need some quick security at the last minute. If you need security and you don't have time to set up a camera network then Optumus would work out great because it would not require any setup. Just let it loose.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Reactions: mad474 and MP3Mike
First reports of cybertruck pricing being mentioned to buyers?
Hmm, I guess I need to get my ducks in a row here then. I'm also 112745XXX. My phone is not working today because Verizon botched the port from ATT so hopefully they aren't calling me! o_O

100k is a lot, but given the massive inflation over the past few years it's not so far from the launch price.

Tri-motor CT at $100k sounds about right to me, people thinking a full-size truck will be cheaper than the equivalent sedan are IMO not living in reality lol

Trucks cost more than sedans as a general rule, and the battery in the CT is probably much larger -- range is the detail that seems to be missing from that supposed info leak, but a CT hitting 500mile range probably requires a battery dang near double the size of the Model S/X

I'll also be interested in seeing if/when solutions for addressing the gap between tow vehicle and load arrive... that gap incurs a significant portion of the additional aero load when pulling a trailer...

The Tesla Semi was originally shown with side spoilers hugging the trailer to eliminate/reduce that gap. That, along with the super-single tires and the aero wheel hub covers seem to have disappeared on the semi's so far...
This is something trucking companies have been coming around to for awhile -- the big ones keep a LOT of data and they def can see savings from slight improvements -- but for reasons of both practicility and a lack of caring about or understanding aerodynamics just hasnt been a big thing for smaller trucks.

Reactions: scaesare
I hope that is fake as the price would be very disappointing.
We have a deposit down, albeit not a very early one.

We’d planned on around $60k to $70k. We cancelled a Rivian order when that price went up to almost $90k.

But if the only CyberTruck at launch was the Tri-Motor @ $100k, I think we’d find a way to make that happen. And at that price, I’d assume a lot of cancellations, which at least might move us up in the queue a little.

Tri-motor CT at $100k sounds about right to me, people thinking a full-size truck will be cheaper than the equivalent sedan are IMO not living in reality lol

Trucks cost more than sedans as a general rule, and the battery in the CT is probably much larger -- range is the detail that seems to be missing from that supposed info leak, but a CT hitting 500mile range probably requires a battery dang near double the size of the Model S/X
Honestly Tesla should be calling the launch and maybe the 1st X,000 deliveries as some special release and have some special badging or coloring of something.

Here is the newest FUD article that was presented to me. This is what advertisement/education needs to combat.
Not going to click as we all already know there’s little to no absolute truth coming out of the media today. Why did you click?

Oh, so you can claim investment information balance?

All of it is just SSDD. Nothing new. Hasn’t stopped Tesla to date. Won’t stop Tesla going forward. Or we all die a horrible death. You really want to be helpful; go buy a media outlet and fix that industry for us all.

...And at that price, I’d assume a lot of cancellations, which at least might move us up in the queue a little.
I suspect that's Tesla's strategy here... be sure to extract the maximum amount of money from whoever in the queue is willing to pay it, because there's WAY more reservations than they can fulfill for quite a while.

If the $98k CT Tri-Motor rumor is true, I'm assuming this is partly because of the insane amount of orders. If only 1% of people on the order book (of 1 million reservations) are willing to pay $100k for the (currently) high end CT, Tesla should take their money to reduce the negative financial impact of the start of the CT ramp.

This price will drop either way after x months due to manufacturing efficiencies.

EDIT: @hitchhiker beat me to it

Hmm, I guess I need to get my ducks in a row here then. I'm also 112745XXX. My phone is not working today because Verizon botched the port from ATT so hopefully they aren't calling me! o_O

100k is a lot, but given the massive inflation over the past few years it's not so far from the launch price.

Also, don't assume this is final, ramped up production line pricing. I believe the initial price was $70k? That's only a 30k premium for one of the first tri-motors off the production line.