Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree a good Gen3 launch could drive us to new highs but that's over a year away. I don't agree an unveiling could do it

You are not disagreeing with me. 🙂

The way Tesla handled the M3+ suits me fine for how to handle new models from here on.

Essentially, a policy of "we'll tell them all about it when we're ready for the new toy to be delivered" and leave it at that. This is the only way to deal with an "instant gratification" world.

Excuse the off topic:
1705782333855.png

Sat morning musings....

Been here, off and on, for 12 years, came from the tesla.com forum when they messed up my owner status...water under the bridge. Been at Microsoft, Tesla, Google, SpaceX and the company that makes Taser! (oh the humanity) leading teams developing cutting edge AI, HW and SW tech....

I'm seeing the usual 'hand-wringing' and folks that are battle hardened defending positions. All par for the course as this is like my 9th rodeo (at least; I've lost count).

Some recent data points on why I stay convinced that there is no competition:
  • Scale is hard
  • Drivetrain efficiency is hard
    • Effective electrolyte cocktail implementation is hard
  • OTA of all ECU's is hard
  • Material Science is hard
What companies have demonstrated they can do any of the above with regards to electric vehicles?
  1. BYD - only in China
  2. Hyundai - I could be convinced on drivetrain efficiencies for the Ioniq overtime.
  3. That's it, all other attempts have utterly failed or are in the process of failing.
Who seem to be closest to possibly being on the right path? Spoiler: All Chinese and I've all but written off Japan, South Korea, Europe and US; sans Tesla and maybe Rivian (as they are killing it in utility vans right now)
  • A handful of Chinese startups you've never heard of actually (educate yourself) and lots of consolidation as companies get weeded out (currently ~90 it seems)
    1. Chery with a ton of sub-brands which offer electric drivetrains
    2. XPeng
    3. Voyah
    4. Baojun
    5. Maybe a few others...
And lastly, the macro, yeah, the macro, that has to sort itself out (largely reverse course) for Tesla to get back to ATH's, but that is out of Tesla's control.
This is a very useful post, with exceptions. One exception is saying BYD only China when they are rapidly making plant and infrastructure investments in numerous countries and being welcomed enthusiastically in several, especially for commercial vehicles (trucks and busses), solar energy: batteries, (including highly scalable packs), solar panels (including bi-facial and local production in multiple countries), trains (both municipal and inter-city) and more. BYD is moving as quickly as is anyone, and has recently allegedly surpassed CATL in volume of batteries being sold.

It's surprising you did not mention Geely, which is having good success with Volvo and LEVC, not to mention other brands. They do manage to exand rather more quietly than do some others.

The oddity is that none of the Europeans, Americans or Japanese seem to have been able to be notable. Bizarrely BMW has had recent sales success with new models.

Hyundai/Kia are suddenly beginning to demonstrate abilities. They should not be dismissed easily.

Including Xpeng, though must be a tribute to flying cars.

Mentioning Voyah is odd since they are just another brand for Dongfeng, which is definitely making progress. perhaps you meant that Dongfeng may succeed in going upscale.

Mentioning Baojun is odder still since it is an SAIC engineered product in their JV with GM. Perhaps the wiki might help with perspective since they produce several mediocre models to sell around the world as Chevrolet Brand. I do think SAIC will be successful, especially considering that they have a fairly long history producing vehicles that European and GM cannot successfully do on their own.

It is indeed a good idea to do serious homework on Chinese competitors. One you mention, Chery, now produces several highly successful models in Brazil, including a small EV, and have captured the accolade of the best quality cars made in Brazil. Chery has proven high success in partnering with competent local firms trough the world, but haven't yet proven high success with EVs, which have been, to date, conversions of their ICE models positioned as if they were not. . Although small, they've been highly successful in Indonesia as well as Brazil, both not easy to enter for most OEM's.

The quickest way to observe Chinese success is to travel to Africa, South America and non-Chinese Asia.
Then it will become quite obvious how and where they are succeeding. Then it will also be obvious that Chinese companies are building infrastructure to support transition to solar and wind power, as well as building grid support for electrification.

[addendum: for my new house the bidders for my off-grid electric house are ALL using Chinese equipment, with the sole exception being an Austrian Inverter supplier from a single bidder. The ONLY single brand to offer a compete solution is BYD, which has pricing advantages due to Brazilian production of their battery packs, solar panels and most ancillary equipment.

No question! Chinese suppliers are rapidly dominating renewables with ready availability, good service and high quality. For some unfathomable reason it seems most North Americans and Europeans really cannot see this happening, right before their eyes.

To be clear, I really wanted Tesla for almost all of this, including my car. Sadly for me, only a Chinese brand, Volvo, had an EV model that would serve my needs. I still want Tesla. Nobody, nobody has even the remotest clue if they speak of market saturation when Tesla Energy and Tesla vehicles are not available in numerous major markets around the world. Leading with Tesla Energy is easy in much of the world.

Lastly, I am simply reporting what is actually happening. I am most definitely convinced Tesla will be a major force wherever they go, and do so by expanding markets.

I see a lot of discussion looking at BYD and other Chinese EVs as competition, I think this is too narrow of a view.

The real competition isn't Tesla vs other carmakers, it's EVs vs ICE, and which one has lower cost, more efficient supply chain ( for both parts and energy source). The scale of model T and cheap Texas oil let ICE kill off EVs a hundred years ago for this same reason.

People focus on ICE OEMs' death, but they are just polar bears sitting on top of this giant ICEberg, most of which is the ICE supply chain. OEMs have pricing power over their suppliers, so they will be the last one to die, but the ICEberg is melting as the OEMs squeeze their suppliers for margin. For example, Nissan is asking their US suppliers to lower prices by 20%+ or they threaten to move Rogue production back to Japan.

Also, the "only China" narrative ignores the fact that China is something like ~40% of global auto sale, and supply chain is a global business. When BYD takes out a large chunk of ICE car sales in China, the entire global ICE supply chain becomes less efficient, cost for all ICE cars go up, every EV maker wins.

It's worth rolling out again - especially for those who've joined in the last couple of years - we surveyed forum members back in 2021 and asked this exact question. While some argued the poll lacked scientific rigour, it garnered 349 anonymous submissions and, I'd argue, was the best source of data available certainly at the time.

With regards to % invested in Tesla, here are the results by age (to maintain anonymity, we used age ranges):

View attachment 1010663 View attachment 1010664
nb. To read these charts, for example, in the first column of the left chart, 55% of members between 20 - 30 years had more than 95% of their investments in TSLA, 27% of that age range had invested between 75%-95% in TSLA, and the remaining 18% of 20 - 30 year-olds had invested between 50% and 75% in TSLA. Eleven members polled (3.2%) were between 20 and 30 years (see below).

View attachment 1010662
nb. The label is hidden, but 3 members (0.9%) were between 80 and 90 years.

Would you like me to re-issue the poll so we can get 2024 results?
lol.

Only one member from the 2009 gang filled the survey.

Kufos to the 4 or so members in their 30s at the top share count. That means you committed an insane amount of networth when you are ~18 or so

Last edited:
Reactions: ShareLofty
Sat morning musings....

Been here, off and on, for 12 years, came from the tesla.com forum when they messed up my owner status...water under the bridge. Been at Microsoft, Tesla, Google, SpaceX and the company that makes Taser! (oh the humanity) leading teams developing cutting edge AI, HW and SW tech....

I'm seeing the usual 'hand-wringing' and folks that are battle hardened defending positions. All par for the course as this is like my 9th rodeo (at least; I've lost count).

Some recent data points on why I stay convinced that there is no competition:
  • Scale is hard
  • Drivetrain efficiency is hard
    • Effective electrolyte cocktail implementation is hard
  • OTA of all ECU's is hard
  • Material Science is hard
What companies have demonstrated they can do any of the above with regards to electric vehicles?
  1. BYD - only in China
  2. Hyundai - I could be convinced on drivetrain efficiencies for the Ioniq overtime.
  3. That's it, all other attempts have utterly failed or are in the process of failing.
Who seem to be closest to possibly being on the right path? Spoiler: All Chinese and I've all but written off Japan, South Korea, Europe and US; sans Tesla and maybe Rivian (as they are killing it in utility vans right now)
  • A handful of Chinese startups you've never heard of actually (educate yourself) and lots of consolidation as companies get weeded out (currently ~90 it seems)
    1. Chery with a ton of sub-brands which offer electric drivetrains
    2. XPeng
    3. Voyah
    4. Baojun
    5. Maybe a few others...
And lastly, the macro, yeah, the macro, that has to sort itself out (largely reverse course) for Tesla to get back to ATH's, but that is out of Tesla's control.
I agree. Just annoys me when companies like FB are back to near ATH.

This video from James was the catalyst that will allow me to explain the relevance of my earlier posts...

James would be one source I recommend watching.

I think any positive share price movement should follow EPS / revenue improvements, James expects that in 2024/2025 and so do I.

EPS is the most important, and these are possible contributing factors:-
  • Growing deliveries (operating leverage)
  • Ramp at Austin and Berlin (Texas sized outbound lot)
  • Reducing COGS - 4680 ramp
  • Megapack ramp
  • Semi Ramp
  • FSD
  • Interest rate reductions - Higher margins (deflation kicks in easing inflation worries).
  • FUD decline and more EV awareness - Higher margins (lower EV prices / Gen3)
  • Gen3
Most of the things below FSD are probably dependent of Gen3, but Chinese EVs also help.
The arguments around deflation and abundance are that Gen3 is a likely trigger for a rapid acceleration of that process and a decline in FUD.
The augment for equality is that education starts with access to the internet and electricity.
Inequality isn't a small number of people having more than they need, it is a large number of people not having what they need - abundance helps.

Texas sized outbound lot - I'm speculating here and describing what I would do, which seems close enough to what Tesla seem to be doing... I might be wrong on detail... What it tells me is Austin is being set up with outbound logistics for at least 1 million cars. I'm saying that because it seems to me the Austin outbound lot will probably be larger than the Shanghai outbound lot.

I think that the warehouse-on-wheels, contractor packing and building equipment staging, will all eventually move back to the east side.
The west side seems to be being set up a a long outbound lot, stretching from end-of-line to River Road, and perhaps eventually from Tesla Road to River Road. I would include a service / delivery centre on the far south west, but the rest of the west can be all end-of-line, Supercharging, and outbound lot.

Joe T has mentioned a new road north of the cathode plant, IMO it makes sense for this road to be a dedicated entry point for construction contractors and building materials with contactor parking and building material staging moved to that area. This makes sense for lots of reasons...

Similarly I would move the west warehouse-on-wheels back to the east side, reverting the employee overflow lot back to a WOW. Then raise the grade in that area (next to the new outbound lot) to the outbound lot level.

If cars drive themselves though the tunnel, it makes sense for a slow conga-line of self-driving cars to slowly make their way down to the northern end of end-of-line on a dedicated road reserved for that purpose. cars then flow north to south through end-of-line ending up at the Superchargers.

The conga-line provides valuable buffering between the factory and end-of-line/Supercharging, there is no need to park cars somewhere while they wait for Supercharging... When they complete end-of-line they should often be able to go straight to Supercharging. If that can happen, no need to park the car and move it to the charger later.

Last edited:
Yes, please. Some of us are older, some of us have changed circumstances.

Only some of us are older? That is the nugget I want more info on from this. Who amongst us is not any older? And what is the secret behind it? Is there some magic happening when the percentage of TSLA in your holding is large enough? Please help a grown up lady out!

Goes further in explaining the 2170s batteries. Weird that Panasonic would drop major coin on a battery format Tesla stated it was moving away from. 4680s is the future. Panasonic bringing two factories.
Where has Tesla stated that they are moving away from 2170s? They need more US made 2170s so they can stop importing Chinese made ones. I don't expect Model 3/Y to totally move away from 2170 just like the S&X still use 18650s.

What Tesla has said is that they will buy every cell they can get their hands on that meet their requirements.

Back to the topic of selling TSLA...

One thing that keeps me from considering doing something as drastic as liquidating all TSLA holdings in hopes of finding better returns elsewhere, is contemplating what amount of gains on the new investment would be necessary merely to overcome the Capital Gains tax owed on what was sold.

Depending upon when an investor entered TSLA, the tax on long-held shares could dig a pretty deep hole to climb out of.

Maybe there are strategies for softening the blow that I'm unaware of.

Only some of us are older? That is the nugget I want more info on from this. Who amongst us is not any older? And what is the secret behind it? Is there some magic happening when the percentage of TSLA in your holding is large enough? Please help a grown up lady out!

Should add a question for how much of the shares has been sold.

Or a question of how many other investment so tesla-like return

If anyone’s curious, here are my top 10 in descending order:

53475585962_bea6e48849_z.jpg

All the “F”’s are Fidelity mutual funds in my IRA. They form the basis of my retirement income, as I’ve had to take Required Minimum Distributions for the last several years. The dividends paid by the utility stocks, Duke, Dominion and Nextera - and Apple - also supplement that income.

Last edited:

One thing that keeps me from considering doing something as drastic as liquidating all TSLA holdings in hopes of finding better returns elsewhere, is contemplating what amount of gains on the new investment would be necessary merely to overcome the Capital Gains tax owed on what was sold.

Depending upon when an investor entered TSLA, the tax on long-held shares could dig a pretty deep hole to climb out of.

There are exchange funds (not ETFs), but you have to get them through an advisor and they only delay the tax payment not avoid it. But it allows for greater diversification sooner. (In essence, you contribute your TSLA to a pool where others contribute their concentrated stock and the you get a slice of a diversified basket)

This is a very useful post, with exceptions. One exception is saying BYD only China when they are rapidly making plant and infrastructure investments in numerous countries and being welcomed enthusiastically in several, especially for commercial vehicles (trucks and busses), solar energy: batteries, (including highly scalable packs), solar panels (including bi-facial and local production in multiple countries), trains (both municipal and inter-city) and more. BYD is moving as quickly as is anyone, and has recently allegedly surpassed CATL in volume of batteries being sold.

It's surprising you did not mention Geely, which is having good success with Volvo and LEVC, not to mention other brands. They do manage to exand rather more quietly than do some others.

The oddity is that none of the Europeans, Americans or Japanese seem to have been able to be notable. Bizarrely BMW has had recent sales success with new models.

Hyundai/Kia are suddenly beginning to demonstrate abilities. They should not be dismissed easily.

Including Xpeng, though must be a tribute to flying cars.

Mentioning Voyah is odd since they are just another brand for Dongfeng, which is definitely making progress. perhaps you meant that Dongfeng may succeed in going upscale.

Mentioning Baojun is odder still since it is an SAIC engineered product in their JV with GM. Perhaps the wiki might help with perspective since they produce several mediocre models to sell around the world as Chevrolet Brand. I do think SAIC will be successful, especially considering that they have a fairly long history producing vehicles that European and GM cannot successfully do on their own.

It is indeed a good idea to do serious homework on Chinese competitors. One you mention, Chery, now produces several highly successful models in Brazil, including a small EV, and have captured the accolade of the best quality cars made in Brazil. Chery has proven high success in partnering with competent local firms trough the world, but haven't yet proven high success with EVs, which have been, to date, conversions of their ICE models positioned as if they were not. . Although small, they've been highly successful in Indonesia as well as Brazil, both not easy to enter for most OEM's.

The quickest way to observe Chinese success is to travel to Africa, South America and non-Chinese Asia.
Then it will become quite obvious how and where they are succeeding. Then it will also be obvious that Chinese companies are building infrastructure to support transition to solar and wind power, as well as building grid support for electrification.

[addendum: for my new house the bidders for my off-grid electric house are ALL using Chinese equipment, with the sole exception being an Austrian Inverter supplier from a single bidder. The ONLY single brand to offer a compete solution is BYD, which has pricing advantages due to Brazilian production of their battery packs, solar panels and most ancillary equipment.

No question! Chinese suppliers are rapidly dominating renewables with ready availability, good service and high quality. For some unfathomable reason it seems most North Americans and Europeans really cannot see this happening, right before their eyes.

To be clear, I really wanted Tesla for almost all of this, including my car. Sadly for me, only a Chinese brand, Volvo, had an EV model that would serve my needs. I still want Tesla. Nobody, nobody has even the remotest clue if they speak of market saturation when Tesla Energy and Tesla vehicles are not available in numerous major markets around the world. Leading with Tesla Energy is easy in much of the world.

Lastly, I am simply reporting what is actually happening. I am most definitely convinced Tesla will be a major force wherever they go, and do so by expanding markets.
Thx for the feedback! Some further thoughts...

BYD should be the biggest global competitor with Tesla and I expect serious increases in Chinese exports this year as well as watching Europe closely to see how well BYD does (does not seem well so far). They are essentially the closest thing to Tesla as they are heavily vertically integrated making chips, motors, inverters, batteries, energy storage, chargers and the full software stack on top.

I've not been impressed with Geely honestly and don't consider them a threat; maybe you've seen something I haven't?

The other brands I mentioned are there for their recent offerings that appear highly innovative and scalable. I don't believe that companies can succeed without supported brands succeeding when they are not heavily vertically integrated so I get that you might de-value JV's.

The FUD campaign worked against you. You were always their target, not Elon.
You seem to think that people who perceive Elon as insane get there through some manipulation, rather than by reading his posts and listening to what he says. I'm sure that third parties amplify things, but people who have been following Tesla for a long time know very well that you have to always go to the source. Elon has been going full Henry Ford for a couple of years now, and all you have to do is listen to him to see that.

If you had everything in an IRA would you liquidate? What else would you invest in?