Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does the date of the news article have to do with anything? It doesn't change when the event actually happened. The ship arrived at Australia on October 22nd, and circled off-shore for ~65 days before being sent back at the end of the year. So had it not had a bug infestation the vehicles would have been available to be delivered in 2023.

This article has the additional details:

People might think it was a new additional incident, which might lead to lower registrations in Australia in the near future. Just pointing out the date as it seems many people don´t check.

EDIT: Looks like @SO16 replied to other posts above that I missed, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Reactions: SO16
2. My post was simply to point out that he doesn't feel moving off fossil fuels quickly is necessary. People say stick with the mission, but for him the mission isn't the same as it was. That's not to say Tesla's mission has changed.
Elon doesn't think the government should be forcing EVs. He doesn't agree with subsidies or mandates. This part has been pretty consistent with Elon all together.
Like Kitty, I think you need to have a very specific quote. I don't understand that #2 is Musk's opinion. Rather, he thinks that the impediment to the transition is the cost of the underlying technologies. We are observing low costs transforming Tesla's business. But there are other technologies where low costs are becoming very apparent recently, in particular PV. PV is steamrolling offshore wind, which in turn just a year or two ago was steamrolling natural gas.

But hey, my understanding could be wrong. In that case, a specific quote would be helpful.

Reactions: scaesare
Other posters reassured me about the Semi timeline and I am more pacified, but let me ask you specifically: if you think there are already huge cost savings, why isn't Tesla building more even for it's own fleet? Megachargers are less of a problem if you know where to put them for your convenience (like one in every GF plus a few strategic locations in the middle).
Indeed, my worries stem on the fact that we don't see even hand-build Semis in the hundreds.

The semis get cheaper when they are series produced (avoding the word mass as it will be small numbers compared to Tesla´s other cars) - that is true also for semis used by Tesla themselves. Hand-building in the hundreds is not economic. I assume they have enough for testing and have now decided to set up the production line in the new building incorporating what they´ve learned - we´ll see a lot more when that is up and running, but likely not until then.

No doubt (in my mind) Elon speaks what is necessary in order to minimize conflict through the transition. Many casualties lay ahead in automotive especially.

Meanwhile, anyone who understands feedback systems and basic thermodynamic knows what's happening and it's gonna be bad on a global scale. But the moment Elon takes this position in public, a whole woke crowd comes unglued. And it's the same crowd that he's trying to change over time to consider an EV. So what's he do? He buddy's with Ford, moves to Texas and meets them on their own turf.

This article seems to confuse Tesla with the Worker's Council. Tesla didn't break the rules, the Worker's Council did. And it sounds like they were just being too speedy, and need to wait an extra two weeks...

Yeah. The Reuters article is not well informed, it also wrongly states that the workers council is not mandatory.

Here is a better local newspaper article on the same topic:

The conversion from DC to AC is definitely only happening once, in one place, but it allows for more fine grained optimisation. In practice, for a powerwall, this would mean you have panels in 6 different orientations (a horribly fiddly roof with trees, loft extensions and overhead cables causing various levels of shading at different times).
Yes, having 6 MPPTs would definitely help them avoid using Optimizers, like their older solar inverters. I love the idea! My Fronius has 2 MPPTs, but I can definitely see use cases for several more! :cool:

Reactions: Mike Ambler
5 years ago, BEV worldwide adoption was uncertain. Now the clean energy transition trajectory is much clearer.

Had Titanic spotted the iceberg just 2 minutes earlier, then it wouldn't sunk. Same concept.
I assume Tesla are working on Master Plan 3, and Elon is contributing where necessary.

In other words, they are doing what they told us they would do, even if the public evidence is limited.

Most of the public evidence that is available is on construction videos at Austin, there is no slow down.

As for other factories - this is the "sharpening the axe" phase.

If Elon is confident it is because he is happy with the progress on MP3, and the progress others are making.

Thinking that things are on track is very different from deciding to stop work.

X.ai? Tesla?

Here is a prediction market for where he will end up:

Last edited:
1707895802126.png

1707895824685.png

Seems logical?

Fred Lambert was misinformed. I expect an immediate retraction and apology.

Fred is, at best a clickbait merchant with a focus on Tesla/Elon at worst working for legacy ICE/Oil companies. I have no hard evidence so not sure which is true, one thing for sure he isn't a real journalist so anything on his website can be seen at the same level of integrity as a comment on reddit or equivalent. He should have reached out to Tesla before publishing.

Troy's "everywhere demand limited Model Y" got price increases (ca. 2000-2500 €) in Norway and Germany yesterday. Just saying...
Is there or has there been evidence for "demand limited" except in time or location pockets that get sorted out (or sort themselves out) within a short period.

It's not like the legacy OEM's USA dealerships with 300+ days of supply.

If you're looking at sales/demand for a novel product being sent on a boat for 3-4 weeks or where production is limited, in my opinion, you're looking at it wrong. Look at supply rationing and local incentives.

As @unk45 has said, Chile, Brazil other markets are still waiting. Turkey went mad when Tesla first started Model Y deliveries. Whole year's allocation gone in weeks (days?). Did demand fall away in Turkey or did Tesla limit deliveries. Too early to judge, but my guess is supply/unstable currency/wanting to build infrastructure first (repair/supercharger, work out charging success on wide variety of non Tesla CCS2 chargers, many country/regime affiliated).

As far as I know, no Model 3 for Turkey yet. Only Berlin Model Y, rationed out to France/Germany/Belgium as incentives/tax changed and @NicoV and others explained.

Last edited: