Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not going to derail the thread talking about the relative merits of bitcoin, but this zero-sum attitude is the same held by those eco-terrorists that attacked Giga Berlin last week.

Crypto, AI, and EVs are all disruptive revolutions which have the ability to massively increase the quality of life for billions of people around the world. However, crypto, AI, and EVs all require incredible amounts of electricity. It is in everyone's interest to massively, massively build out our energy infrastructure to support these transformative technologies. The massive inflows of capital into crypto will help incentivize the buildout of our energy infrastructure.

Investing in renewables and nuclear energy should be the world's absolute #1 priority right now. Rising tides float all boats. This is not the time to be small-minded.
Crypto is doing it's bit to raise the boats. Literally.

But it's not.

Climate change resolution, societally, is pertinent and has to happen. As an investment, I think the "has to happen" part is more important to de-risking the investment and the "pertinent" part is less attributed to Tesla.

For example, mass adoption of EVs and Clean Energy infrastructure is agreed upon as "has to happen", so its a lucrative investment. Now, when that actually happens and how is up to the market and the competitors within it. Lots of pathways on how to achieve this goal in terms of when. The best products/services are still moated well around Tesla for EV and Clean Energy over the long-term.

So, if I'm to guess...then I think Tesla is going to be worth a lot over a long enough time horizon. In the short-term, who knows?

So the key is…. Let’s speed up the pollution generation with crypto so that we choke even faster and need to offset it with renewables?

Seems like an odd plan. But it will probably play out that way. Humans rarely do big things unless it’s out of sheer necessity. I’ll stick with TSLA.

No. Though, I bet you many are wondering if AI can come up with better solutions to fix the climate crisis than Tesla. Same goes with changing the population to adapt to the climate crisis as so much is being funded into healthcare right now too.

Reactions: SO16
Climate change resolution, societally, is pertinent and has to happen. As an investment, I think the "has to happen" part is more important to de-risking the investment and the "pertinent" part is less attributed to Tesla.

For example, mass adoption of EVs and Clean Energy infrastructure is agreed upon as "has to happen", so its a lucrative investment. Now, when that actually happens and how is up to the market and the competitors within it. Lots of pathways on how to achieve this goal in terms of when. The best products/services are still moated well around Tesla for EV and Clean Energy over the long-term.

So, if I'm to guess...then I think Tesla is going to be worth a lot over a long enough time horizon. In the short-term, who knows?
Yes, it has to happen. But right now, few are acting that way. If the "when and how" is left up to the market, it won't happen fast enough. Physics doesn't care about the free market.

So, if we are to fix the problem it will be up to governments, not the market.

As I said a few days ago, I do expect to reach a point where governments finally realize how badly they procrastinated. It will be too late to avoid monumental damage, but at that point they will be willing to pay companies like Tesla anything they ask for.

Yes, it has to happen. But right now, few are acting that way. If the "when and how" is left up to the market, it won't happen fast enough. Physics doesn't care about the free market.

So, if we are to fix the problem it will be up to governments, not the market.

As I said a few days ago, I do expect to reach a point where governments finally realize how badly they procrastinated. It will be too late to avoid monumental damage, but at that point they will be willing to pay companies like Tesla anything they ask for.

I bet you not as many want to give Elon Musk more money...even if the end goal is Mars and a sustainable Earth for the human population.

I bet you not as many want to give Elon Musk more money...even if the end goal is Mars and a sustainable Earth for the human population.
That appears to be true right now. But when the incentive is high enough, they won't care about Elon's politics.

Just look at Starlink. Starlink is vital to Ukraine and the US military more than happy to pay Elon to make sure it is operational.

Crypto has only benefited people because they bought into it or mined it at a lower price. If it was currently worth a penny per BTC, no one would bother with it. Nothing else beneficial is PRODUCED from it. It’s “worth” a lot because many are just chasing it to get rich. No other reason.

If bitcoin was going nowhere, it would have arrived there already.

If enough people believe something is valuable and it’s rare enough, it becomes valuable. Nothing beneficial from it is needed. The world is full of things whose perceived value far exceeds their utility.

Last edited:

If enough people believe something is valuable and it’s rare enough, it becomes valuable. Nothing beneficial from it is needed. The world is full of things whose perceived value far exceeds their utility.
WAY OT (somewhat. but quite appropriate to BTC)
@Tony73
December, 1963, Galaxy Magazine
story
"The Big Pat Boom", by Damon Knight
pp 82 - 88 pdf link included
"beauty and value are in the eye of the beholder"

If enough people believe something is valuable and it’s rare enough, it becomes valuable.

This reminds me of the movie "The Lost Leonardo" I've always understood why rare paintings are valuable, especially when they are by a dead artist, or by a student working with that artist. And whether or not they are, can sometimes be hard to determine,

At one time in history, I could even be convinced that Tulips were rare, and served a useful purpose..

I would question if a group of people believing something actually means that it is true, because at one time the majority of people believed that the sun orbited the earth.

Last edited:
This seems like a demand lever, right? I wonder if pricing has caused some not to configure.
The requirements are steep.

First you need to own at least 500 shares
You also need to have not sold more than 50% of your shares since Feb 28 2021.

So you can have 50k shares but sold 30k shares leaving you 20k shares left and deemed ineligible. This is more of a loyalty test if anything.

Yes there are other items like that. Never said anything about BTC being the only non-beneficial item out there. It’s just on the pile with the rest of the non-beneficial items.

But it will probably go to a million or more and make lots of people rich at the expense of pollution. Yay. /s

The requirements are steep.

First you need to own at least 500 shares
You also need to have not sold more than 50% of your shares since Feb 28 2021.

So you can have 50k shares but sold 30k shares leaving you 20k shares left and deemed ineligible. This is more of a loyalty test if anything.
Yeah, it's messed up because a person can have multiple accounts.
One account with 500/500 and you're fine, even if total holdings are 2,000/500 due to liquidating another account with 1,500...