Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An important topic which isn’t discussed enough.
As the number of vehicles outside warranty increases I foresee horror stories about battery’s failing and the cost of replacement increasing.
This will result in even more depreciation for out of warranty vehicles which in turn will impact new sales.
I think Tesla needs to offer an extended warranty for the battery. Could be priced according to the battery health (I am sure they have the data now) and even if it was a fair amount of money, would still eliminate the huge concern that potential buyers would have.

I think Tesla needs to offer an extended warranty for the battery. Could be priced according to the battery health (I am sure they have the data now) and even if it was a fair amount of money, would still eliminate the huge concern that potential buyers would have.
Beyond the current 8 year 100k, 120k, 150k mile (depending on model) one?
https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty
That could be useful for used cars...

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Note #1: I yet exist.

#2: I am just back from an extended, non-Alaskan but mostly ‘net-free (ie, 3-4 dozen pages of this thread) road trip made more exciting than most of the past several decades because of the ~85-90% thumbs-up impressions of V12.3.1 (and now updated to 12.3.3).

#3: Special thanks to @ggr for the floor-scrubbing on Aisle 3.

#4: Breaking in on my catching up on all posts to highlight one specific Required Reading. Go back to
Those who argue that there has been large inventory buildup in some areas are correct, but ignore the Q1 logistics issues that stemmed in large part from the Suez canal effects. I am not an expert on shipping matters, at least a couple of us seem to be. From what I know the primary effects of the Suez Canal were two: 1. increase in shipping times between China/South East Asia and Europe and 2. Increase in price, resulting from decrease in supply of available ships. Those two also reflected lessened availability of RoRo in particular so had disproportionate effect on automotive shipments.

Those two factors had collateral impact also, reducing supply of parts and slowing finished goods production and shipping in other areas. Those in turn helped cause seemingly finished goods that were waiting for critical components in some cases and impacting negatively other shipping even outside the directly affected areas.

When considering also the shifting patterns of consumer sentiment in some markets purchasing preferences changed, in some important cases, diminished, so high inventories of some tings rose and others dropped.

Unquestionably Tesla did have unusually high supplies of some Model Y cars, low in others. During the quarter, for instance, I bought a new Model Y. My preferred color, inside and out and equipment were unavailable within 60 days. I compromised, many probably did not.
As Tesla matures, inventory imbalances will inevitably rise. They are beginning to appear as a direct function of 'unwinding The Wave' and vastly increased popularity.

Despite the moaning about inventory buildup, the combination of all these factors means that the "Traditional Tesla Build to Order" simply does not apply when they are dealing in millions of vehicles. So, an inventory of 30 days is NOT, repeat NOT a negative effect. It results directly and inevitably from the unwinding process.

We and the world were told 2024 would be a year of transition...and so it is. Notwithstanding the excellent work several people have done in forecasting Tesla sales and production, the business model itself is changing as Tesla matures, so for the moment @Troy and others were off for the quarter. They'll adapt to the revised business model.

Lastly, as Tesla goes through this transition we'll see seeming discrepancies in Model Y and Model 3 because those are high volume, built to plan vehicles. Building to plan saves huge expense. It also results in higher inventory levels as variants increase. That will appear for Cybertruck too, eventually. This transition, though is preparing for, above all, the new smaller vehicle(s), the factory changes, additions and new factories.

As we look forward we'll certainly see tesla inventories reported at 30-45 days as these processes evolve. When that happens, as Douglas Arms warned "DON'T PANIC!". Just remember that Tesla has a direct sales model so store inventory, shipping times, production efficiencies will all yield gradual increases in inventory levels.

Remember that other OEM's report sales when transferred to dealer, not end sale. Remember that the balance sheet and P&L for Tesla include the entire supply chain.

2024 is a frightening year in many ways. and is even more for those of us who were not paying attention when Tesla so clearly told us what was happening. The implications are inevitably delaying the high growth and high margins we have grown to regard as semi-divine principles. Key: watch Free Cash Flow. if Tesla manages positive cash flow in Q1 we'll know all is doing well. Inevitably Free Cash Flow will be lower because of supporting this business transition, but if it is still positive we know the total logistics planning and management is still functioning as designed.

The financials are the important part. The production and deliveries are just two metrics. Further, Tesla Energy shows the transition is happening there too, as both production changes new products and variants appear and new factories appear. Q1 did show TE with highest ever completions, but at a lower rate than last year. That too is transitional.
and engrave on your respective livers the penultimate, antepenultimate and preantepenultimate paragraphs.

#5: Yes, that was your vocabulary lesson for the week.

#6: The GusQuote from the road trip; one that never in the history of the multiverse ever before has been uttered:
“I’m trying to decide for a pet between a hamster and a horse.”

And Tesla’s position on this, given what Patel is saying, is completely reasonable. They are coming up with the fix, but given the very real and understandable hardware issues, it can’t be instant and they can’t dump billions into a fix for such a tiny fraction of the cars in the field. It IS a business.
I am very slightly relieved, although by no means mollified, to learn that Mr Patel has acknowledged and responded to my own most grinding concern, albeit in such a fashion as to be mostly invisible.

Responding to your comment, however, do remember that exactly AS a business, Tesla needs weigh those costed billions against the potential of litigation-induced costed billions.

1712231804909.png

Looks like even Tesla isn't buying the "appreciating assets" narrative anymore.

View attachment 1035410

Looks like even Tesla isn't buying the "appreciating assets" narrative anymore.
Nothing to do with appreciation, it's refactoring a lease with purchase at the end into a purchase with optional buyback.
3 years of payments, then either purchase it at 45% residual or Tesla buys it back paying off the remaining loan.

It is absolutely a concern of potential buyers (particularly those looking at used vehicles). Why not offer an extended warranty and eliminate that concern (and make money off of them as costs come down )

Sure, if you take what I wrote out of context by removing the balance of the statement alluding to the future growth of battery production that will bring battery longevity up and pricing down.

Are you also a short-term trader as well as a short-term instant gratification thinker?

Do you expect someone to wave a magic wand and change the current situation? Or, do you, as I do, realize that any change must happen in the future?

My post was illustrating that this future appears to be solving that problem by making longer-lasting batteries at lower costs. The problem will be met and dealt with. It just won't happen today.

In the mean time, the market will adjust pricing on used cars as the market dictates. If there are a lot of battery failures (which I don't see statistics supporting) the prices anticipating that will reflect it. If they aren't reflecting that eventuality it is because it is statistically insignificant for most buyers.

Therefore, it is not a concern over something unaddressed. Everything that can be done to alleviate the situation is being done as quickly as possible.

Granted, the FUD may have misled some potential buyers of used EVs to think battery failure is a significant possibility on a used EV, but, is there any data to support that this is the case?

Perhaps your concern would be better placed over how to bring accurate information to those people so that they can make an informed decision. The situation is no different that the mistaken belief that all internal combustion engines will fail once they reach 100K miles. Those buying used who are able to isolate the irrational fears from the facts can be less concerned over the potential for failure.

Failures will happen. They always do. The question should be, "How do I determine and reduce the potential risk for failure when shopping for a used car?"

Last edited:
For anyone upset by the SP. Some upcoming stuff:
  • Model 3 ludicrous unveil
  • Juniper model Y unveil
  • Semi mass production
  • FSD uptake rises
  • FSD in China, and Europe
  • 2024 AI day with bot update
  • Start of Mexico construction
  • First proper quarter of cybertruck ramp
  • Roadster updated specs reveal
TBH the semi and FSD and cybertruck ramp are enough to keep me happy without any more progress, and we all know the model 2 is coming. In the background we will have first supercharger profits from rivals, and build-up of tesla energy. I think Q1 financials may be slightly 'meh' but Q2 is looking better than ever, thanks to CT ramp going ok, and FSD going insane. Hopefully someone asks about supercharger revenue and FSD revenue, even if there is no formal guidance. I think questions about 4680 and CT ramp are inevitable.

What does Starship have to do with $TSLA though?
Well, let's consider this question:
When Ludicrous arrived as an option and as a retrofit, back in ~2015 , the proprietary version of inconel permitted far tighter temperature tolerances so allowed more power for our already very quick P85D's. When mine became a P85DL I recall not just faster acceleration but also slightly improved efficiency.

That is just one single case of SpaceX technology passing to Tesla. Yet another is the stainless steel alloy firing the famous Cybertruck skin. There are many others.

Not Starship you say, but...that stainless steel came from research for Starship.

So, just like Teflon in ancient days, Space-driven technologies are regularly applied to non-space uses. In our very fortunate case, our CEO is an unusually gifted engineer. His ability to see Tesla applications in SpaceX technology benefits all of us.

Perhaps understandably, only a cynical perhaps, all the nastiness and vitriol sent his way from many fronts might be party justified. For those whose vision is so myopic it could well be that surgical intervention might yield clearer vision.

Just think of all the world would not have were the Elon-bashing to have had even more serious effects that it is already doing:
-widespread instant payments (that had other parents but do NOT understate the influence of PayPal;
- private sector orbital rocketry, followed with reusable first stage;
-practical and desirable fully electric automobiles;
-massive castings that simultaneously reduce costs, improve quality;
-advances in neural implants that actually, facially are improving life of a quadriplegic, after many experts thought that impossible.

As we are learning, in Elon's orbit Impossible just takes a little bit longer.

So, what use to we get as TSLA holders from Starship? The same thing all of Elon's orbit gets. Precedent-shattering innovation coupled with some bizarre characteristics that overwhelm many, so that can see only the 'image' and not the facts.

Those who ignore all that just might manage to destroy our 'goose that lays golden eggs'.
That would be sad for the world.
Ignore the stock price and all the FUD! Concentrate on what actually is happening.

The next person who posts that the Model S is 12 years old without change will get brickbats from me. After all, a drive in a 2012 Model S made me buy my 2014 P85D, in 2015 made it P85DL, then a 2021 Models S Plaid. Those were exactly the same car NOT! They looked the same but were three vastly different vehicles. FWIW, each of the three had higher energy efficiency than the processor Model S when driven the same way. Of course each had much, much more power than the predecessor so one needed to be restrained.

So there it is. There is a saying, derived from numerous religions texts: "By their works shall you know them" The Bible version is Matthew 7:16 but the sentiment has been around since the first known human records. When viewing Elon Musk keep that in mind, please. Weird, of course! Could anybody remotely "Normal" come up with such earth shattering innovation? Of course not.

I apologize for quoting a religious text. The really important part is to look at accomplishments, not just the emotional context.

It's both.

Auto margins are rather small. Software margins are huge.

Anybody can make a car, but the overhead is massive. It's a very tough business.

If only Tesla has the software for Ford's robotaxis, then Tesla gets most of the profits. Only Tesla can make Ford's robotaxi viable.

Even if robotaxi never happens and Tesla is just licensing FSD to Ford, Tesla will still get most of the profit from every car Ford sells. Even if the license cost is only, say, $8K, that's a lot more than Ford makes per car and it's almost 100% profit for Tesla.

Will customers pay an extra $8K for a car that drives itself? I think they will. The cost of an EV is going to come down by more than that in the next few years. And nobody will want a car that you have to drive manually.

Like I said earlier today, this is why selling Windows was a much more profitable business than selling the PCs that Windows runs on. The value is in the software, not the hardware.
Damn didn't know you sat in all autopilot meetings at Tesla to share all your "facts". I came up with no examples because I didn't sit in their meetings and was not about to speculate.

But hey, you all are the autopilot hardware and software expert who knows all Tesla is lacking. I hear they are increasing compensation so perhaps now they can afford you experts.

Reactions: sunwarriors
For anyone upset by the SP. Some upcoming stuff:
  • Model 3 ludicrous unveil
  • Juniper model Y unveil
  • Semi mass production
  • FSD uptake rises
  • FSD in China, and Europe
  • 2024 AI day with bot update
  • Start of Mexico construction
  • First proper quarter of cybertruck ramp
  • Roadster updated specs reveal
TBH the semi and FSD and cybertruck ramp are enough to keep me happy without any more progress, and we all know the model 2 is coming. In the background we will have first supercharger profits from rivals, and build-up of tesla energy. I think Q1 financials may be slightly 'meh' but Q2 is looking better than ever, thanks to CT ramp going ok, and FSD going insane. Hopefully someone asks about supercharger revenue and FSD revenue, even if there is no formal guidance. I think questions about 4680 and CT ramp are inevitable.
..also: I sold 1000 shares at 165 which in all likelihood makes it the absolute bottom going forward. You are welcome.

Hmmmm…….. if Tesla does an interest buy down in this country, I see a way to a new S. Buy one with 100% financing, keeping my current one and swapping the fugly trim and wheels to the old one and the bright to the new one. Then sell the old one to someone who wants a used car that looks exactly like the new ones. Still won’t have uss or stalks, but that doesn’t bother me as much as the ugly looks.

Reactions: loquitur