Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q1 24 will be less than 10% lower than the best quarter in 2023 in EU. Keep in mind that it was the European market that was impacted by delays caused by the Houthis and by the Berlin fire. I consider this a very good result.

Belgium and Flanders are also demonstrating what good incentives can do. On the company car market, making non-EV’s non-tax-deductible is a zero-cost incentive for the government. I’m pretty sure this model will be adopted in other EU countries, in particular the countries that previously had generous subsidies and stopped them because it got too expensive. In Flanders the regional government introduced a 5K euro subsidy for individuals, but with a price limit of 40K probably designed to exclude Tesla. But Tesla is now giving inventory discounts on the most basic black and white cars lowering the priced to 39990 euro. As a result Q1 is 2x the 2023 quarters.
Another perspective is that individuals can now buy a Tesla for less than what I paid for my Prius 15 years ago! Who is still saying that EV’s are expensive?

Per @Troy those weren't issues as the EU has plenty of available inventory

By the same logic, there is a large market for hybrids ?

If EV incentives went away, would they transition to hybrids from ICE or just stay with ICE?

There is always a market for cheap cars .. it's just that only tesla can make them as EVs. Others can't so they kinda giving up. Customer will not even care if it is made in China or if it electric
cheers!!
Apparently so, Honda just moved over 36K CRVs in the US alone last month and more than half of them were hybrid variants, with rumors of the ICE-only version going away at its MMC in two years. So, I guess yes. Who doesn't want better mpgs?

On March 28 this youtuber made a drone video of Lathrop, and counted 446 Megapacks (around ~1.7 GWh).
Given that Tesla recognized 4 GWh for Q1, we can probably expect a better Q2 for Tesla Energy: there is no way these 446 were delivered and installed in just 2 days...
1712246829522.png

On March 28 this youtuber made a drone video of Lathrop, and counted 446 Megapacks (around ~1.7 GWh).
Given that Tesla recognized 4 GWh for Q1, we can probably expect a better Q2 for Tesla Energy: there is no way these 446 were delivered and installed in just 2 days...
View attachment 1035501

Keep in mind that these things can take like a year before Tesla recognises this as sold. We may be looking at Q1 2025 revenue here.

Apparently so, Honda just moved over 36K CRVs in the US alone last month and more than half of them were hybrid variants, with rumors of the ICE-only version going away at its MMC in two years. So, I guess yes. Who doesn't want better mpgs?
EVs will beat hybrids in mpg and cost of ownership.

So I guess it boils down to vehicle cost (and may be charging worries for some. ) So come 2026, tesla will have even less competition in EV space.

If one is worried about charging and running more on gas, (which seems to be the norm for lot of hybrid owners), then it kinds of beats the purpose in the 1st place. cheers!!

A frequent misquote. The actual quote is, "The love of money is the root of all evil"

Greed is the problem. Money is just a tool to be used or abused like any other tool.

In my view, greed is the most common trap for humans, particularly in our current society in the USA.
I was tempted, but refrained, Thank you!

It is absolutely a concern of potential buyers (particularly those looking at used vehicles). Why not offer an extended warranty and eliminate that concern (and make money off of them as costs come down )

I think it's really a matter of clarity being needed...and hopefully that clarity comes in with a reasonable cost number.

On the one hand, we hear of Tesla's battery costs being under $100/kWh and falling. And long ago, Elon tweeted that he envisioned replacing the modules in a 3 or Y battery pack for $5-$7K (IIRC). That sounds reasonable...especially if you also get some credit for the recycling of the old/used battery pack that is being replaced.

On the other hand, every battery replacement I have heard/read about from Tesla seems to be marked in the $15-$25,000 range. Of course, it's the big numbers that get headlines, so who knows what the reality is. And, of course, sometimes that is the actual cost to the customer, other times it is just marked as the internal cost for a free/warranty replacement, so the customer isn't paying. Granted, even this is much better than some of the competitors, where I have heard of at least one story of a damaged battery replacement being quoted at more than the price of the new car (Hyundai IONIQ 5).

Volume production of the 3 really got going in 2018...so it's still a couple more years before many of those start coming out of the 8 year battery warranty. And, even then, I'd expect numbers to be small, since most modern things last well beyond the warranty period.

But, really, it would help the used market if Tesla just offered some real clarity -- more than just an Elon tweet -- in some sort of writing. Many people would like to see Tesla's estimate of typical/expected/designed battery life for each model/trim, and some sort of written commitment to a range of prices on a replacement cost for a damaged battery.

Cannot believe after such a horrible Q1 delivery number, TSLA now is higher than Monday and last Friday close.
$176.15 now
Any news that causes this to happen?
Many now focused on FSD and not so much deliveries. It will be interesting on the earning call how much information we get on FSD subscriptions and how they plan to monetize robotaxi. My guess is not much at this point.

A frequent misquote. The actual quote is, "The love of money is the root of all evil"

Greed is the problem. Money is just a tool to be used or abused like any other tool.

In my view, greed is the most common trap for humans, particularly in our current society in the USA.
Money
So they say
Is the root of all evil today

But if you ask for a rise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away

Cannot believe after such a horrible Q1 delivery number, TSLA now is higher than Monday and last Friday close.
$176.15 now
Any news that causes this to happen?

BREAKING NEWS!!!

DOGZ TAKE THEIR BONES TO BURY IN THE YARD

The market's "Big Dogz" have decided they can no longer risk investment money in attempts to shake out weak hands and buy TSLA on the cheap. One dog was overheard to say, "it's about to pop and I don't want to be short when it does" outside a NY deli.

Last edited:
EVs will beat hybrids in mpg and cost of ownership.

So I guess it boils down to vehicle cost (and may be charging worries for some. ) So come 2026, tesla will have even less competition in EV space.

If one is worried about charging and running more on gas, (which seems to be the norm for lot of hybrid owners), then it kinds of beats the purpose in the 1st place. cheers!!
Actually, I expect more plug-ins hybrids on the market. A lot of money have been spent on battery plants. While yes, there will be EVs from competitors such as the Chevy Equinox EV debuting this year, a mainstream effort. I expect more hybrids, especially plug ins to satisfy the market. Jeep and Toyota has shown plug ins are a popular trim, even when priced insanely on the Rav4, Wrangler and Cherokee.

It is ironic or hypercritical since automakers stated they would skip plugins because they were unnecessarily complicated and it was easier to go straight to EVs.

Again, those in the market for an EV have overwhelmingly chosen Telsa. And that is not changing. Just need to expand the EV market.

Per @Troy those weren't issues as the EU has plenty of available inventory
But was it of the right type in the right location? And at full production rate ~40-80k of the inventory is likely to be in transit at any given time, and not actually available for purchase. (It doesn't matter if you have a million white Model 3 Performance vehicles in Italy, if your demand for that variant is in Norway.)

And we have anecdotal evidence, from people's reports on TMC, that the inventory available to them was not of the configuration they were willing to buy.

Just for the Model Y there are 140 different builds/configurations. Is Troy really saying that there was sufficient inventory of all 140 configurations in all locations in Europe? If we assume the same number of variations for the other models that means there are 560 different options to choose from. If you wanted just one of each variant available at every Tesla location worldwide you would need ~700k vehicles in inventory.