Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More cars on the road just means more humans in the background monitoring each ride and coming to the rescue of stuck vehicles.

The bigger the fleet, the more money Waymo loses. If that was not the case then Waymo would already be massively growing their fleet.

The only way Waymo can win is if Waymo figures out how to make a profit and Tesla does not. Tesla's solution is far cheaper so if both can manage an operating profit then Tesla will be able to win on price.
I think you completely fail to understand Waymo. They are an over $30billion company and I can assure you they are not valued so because they have a couple of cars offering fares. Right now they are clearly conducing WTP analysis, designing payment systems, etc.

Anyhow you are now engaged in behavior worthy of a TeslaQ so I'll stop responding.

I guess its better to not know anything and just accept the stock dump. (NVDA)
I’ve been in this stock - often leveraged- long enough to hold through multiple dips in my net worth exceeding 75% and held through long enough to see those same positions turn into gains. I feel my logic on this is not described by “not knowing anything”. Could I have timed it better. Sure. But I’m very happy with my results and my attitude has not changed about the long term prospects of the company.

Model Y is the best selling car in the world and that's without a ban within the next 10 years. I doubt this lifeline will stop the path of EV domination.

Also only allowed to be sold after 2035 if the ICE cars are powered by E-Fuels, I guess that means Hydrogen?

View attachment 1040669
Lots of back pedaling on a downhill run, likely anywhere ICE forms. It prolongs their demise and might affect incentives this year, but wait until next year! Ice melting in the Arctic means there could be a new shipping route to the north. Been wonder this lately, it's happening soon... for sure (ICE melting).

I was surprised to see this discussion- it had been several years since I thought the "OMG ACCOUNTING FRAUD IN WARRANTY" thing had been laid to rest... it's done very nicely here:

and then in a follow up piece with even more info here:

The much more recent OMG ACCOUNTING FRAUD narrative I've seen on the bird app is that Teslas ~29B in cash is fake, because they've got 28.7B in short term liabilities (including ~14B in accounts payable) so they only reason Tesla has any cash at all is they take longer to pay their bills than to "count" revenue from sales and it's all a ponzi scheme of some kind that collapses as sales stop growing rapidly.
(expect to hear a lot more of that if as some have suggested FCF turns negative for some quarter this year)
Hi, Knightshade --

Note that I am not accusing Tesla of accounting fraud or any wrongdoing at all and resent the implication that I am. I'm surprised to hear this from you, because I think you have high standards for accuracy. I may have unintentionally accused Tesla of fraud; if so, could you provide a quote so that I can properly amend and apologize?

Some auto companies have a separate line item for R&D; some, including Tesla, do not. I don't think either approach is fraudulent. GAAP has rules but still requires significant management judgement. Tesla is perhaps unique among auto manufacturers in conducting (almost?) all of the warranty work in house. I've never inquired as to how exactly Tesla accounts for this because I don't think it all that important, but a quick look at the 10-K shows:

"Services and other revenue consists of sales of used vehicles, non-warranty after-sales vehicle services, body shop and parts, paid Supercharging, vehicle insurance revenue and retail merchandise. "

"Costs of services and other revenue includes cost of used vehicles including refurbishment costs, costs associated with providing non-warranty after-sales services, costs associated with our body shops and part sales, costs of paid Supercharging, costs to provide vehicle insurance and costs for retail merchandise."

I didn't see much more detail, but didn't look too hard because I don't care that much, I'm more than willing to be corrected by those more diligent than I am. My guess is that what this all means is that warranty work is charged to reserves at cost.

In general, though, P&S is a 30%-40% gross margin business. You'll note the wide range there! I'm going from memory and welcome correction. If you're a any other OEM, your warranty expense is going to include that dealership/independent mechanic GM. That doesn't seem to be the case for Tesla. There are two implications:

1: There are analytical difficulties in comparing T's warranty expense, and thus auto gross margins, with other OEMs, and
2: Providing warranty work at cost helps to explain the crap margins in the services and other segment, which is kind of where I came in.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood anything.

Yours,
RP

Last edited:
It is possible, but in this case, less likely. I could clearly see the oncoming traffic, and I expect I would have accelerated around the turn into my new lane without stopping again, whereas FSD accelerated out, then slowed greatly (honestly not sure if it stopped or not; I _think_ it slowed greatly). It was that slowdown IMO that fooled the person behind me, at the very moment they would likely have been looking left for oncoming cars.

This is entirely on the driver following. It was their mistake.

Whether traffic justified that FSD slowed at that moment, or not, they would have still run into your car. This happens all the time with human drivers in both cars.

It is the following driver's responsibility to be prepared for this exact scenario. Neither humans nor FSD should ever assume the other vehicle is clear until it has been verified. FSD will always be watching the car in front of them, humans will be looking at other things and then can make an assumption that leads to a collision. If they had only glanced back before accelerating all would be well. FSD won't be able to fix this.

Just be happy they didn't push you into cross traffic.

So I am wondering why is Tesla down today. I open up my Yahoo front page to find.....

Another moment of truth, that must the 10th in the last few years. Meanwhile Tesla just keeps improving.

This is entirely on the driver following. It was their mistake.

Whether traffic justified that FSD slowed at that moment, or not, they would have still run into your car. This happens all the time with human drivers in both cars.

It is the following driver's responsibility to be prepared for this exact scenario. Neither humans nor FSD should ever assume the other vehicle is clear until it has been verified. FSD will always be watching the car in front of them, humans will be looking at other things and then can make an assumption that leads to a collision. If they had only glanced back before accelerating all would be well. FSD won't be able to fix this.

Just be happy they didn't push you into cross traffic.
Agreed. And I think this is one of the most common accidents - I look out for it (being a potential following car in that scenario) as I am going around right turns behind other cars that are looking for openings in traffic. Don't assume the guy in front of you is going to keep moving - or, don't press that pedal unless the eyes are facing forward.
It is the following driver's fault. Unquestionably. But, I believe FSD's behavior of "I'm going! No, wait, just kidding..." could have made this accident more likely.
Also, FWIW, I was already in cross traffic - at least, in the first (rightmost) lane. And there was no traffic in that lane to cause hesitation, but there were approaching cars in the next lane over that presumably caused FSD to hesitate.
One point in FSDs favor: if the following car behind me had been on FSD, this would certainly NOT have happened.
Q: if the following car had at least been a Tesla, would Forward Collision system have stopped them from rear ending me?

What is Tesla's Mars business plan?

I wouldn't know, I'm not smart enough to understand that and very self-aware in regards to not being smart enough how to monetize the path to GOING TO MARS. Do you? Can you share?

Personally, I try to understand Elon's motivations in order to assess if company, and its products/services, are aligned with their stated mission as their products/services expands. It's about focus to me. Also, the focus on sustainability, and how that evolves over time, is relevant. So, I need to assess accordingly.

Here's their stated mission statement, from 2013, that hasn't changed: https://www.tesla.com/blog/mission-tesla

Reactions: bpjod
I have looked extensively at traffic patterns. Extensively, it fascinated me. The people driving to and from metro stations, the people dropping kids off at schools, the landscapers, etc. I actually spent days looking and then decided it didn't matter. Most people that drove to work, park, then they don't move the cars. Most commuters, most days. That's well documented. So, the people on the road in the middle of the day are usually not commuters. Some are going to meetings but they are people doing something (fedex, delivery XYZ, service XYZ, kids, tourists, etc). Again it does not matter. Take Seattle again. 350k workers downtown. 25% commute in single use cars trips. 80k or so cars moving in and then leaving once a day. I use Seattle because my own metro region is so F'd it makes the numbers look worse for RT.

The RT picks someone up in suburbs and takes them downtown. Between 8- 9am the RT, 80K of them, are not parked but sitting in the roads causing even worse congestion. Where do they go? There are not 80k riders needing to go somewhere in downtown Seattle at 9am. Uber handles that 9am traffic in Seattle with a couple of thousand cars. That is the market downtown for people that didn't want to go around in a rental or in their own car. So you have a gap of 78k or so cars. That's a lot of traffic. A lot. Where is the business? It isn't there at 8-9 am. Cars are moving but it isn't 78k worth of cars moving. They are also not commuting regularly. People are working from home and a certain amount of that never comes back. That might help the RT use case I am just not sure. It means you have to have a huge amount of vehicles stashed to handle surges on Tues-Thursday.

If the commuters cars are the RT fleet then there are 80k chasing 2k worth of work. Does everybodys car get to take 2 fares/week? I don't see how that is even worth signing up in the system (the intercity midday fares in Uber are very low, 2-4 miles 10-15 mins- this is all about parking and convenience). An uber driver may get 15 such rides between rush hours. The pofitiable rides for Uber are bar hopping rides starting at 5pm and ending at 11pm but it's really not a big number. From 8pm to 6am there isn't much traffic except for this work and occasional airport work.

The greatest societal good I see from working RT is that it brings new societal interactions to elderly, handicapped, and substance abusers. Can they use an app? I guess we can make sure they are accessible. will the rt be handicapped accessible? Maybe Uber drivers will still be needed to move wheelchairs or ? Anyhow, lots of good but I am not sure how much profit.

Do your own analysis. Figure out how to move the commuters and then how to move the other people. Carve out all the people with work related vehicles. Go stand at a street corner and just count each car at a corner. Easy RT replacement or not.

Then here is another issue. We need to park and charge a minimum of 75k cars.

Will Tesla invest in 75k cars to handle Seattle transport market? If they had invested in 2018 they'd have needed 100k cars but people are teleworking so the number decreased across the USA. What would they have done with the extra 25k cars?

I think Waymo is on the right track. Gut Uber and grab all the dense Urban traffic and as demand slowly increases take the profits and expand. If Waymo is first you'll have 50k vehicles making profit. Waymo could be serving the 5 big CA cities by end of 2025 and that would be 5/20 in the USA. Obviously they add Austin and Phoenix and then some others. We'll see. They are being very methodical.

Google can better leverage the ad dollar spend associated with a captive ride, they'll know if you buy pizzas or pho on the way home and can hit you with ads or just to extend trip (OR NOT). For this reason I've always thought Google was in a good position. Also that Ubers data has some value.
Why focus only on commuters? That's a major part of demand, but far from the only portion that matters. The transportation demand curves clearly show that. A work-related vehicle is not exactly a robotaxi but if it's getting high usage for a commercial or government application, then it's similar economically. Also not everyone is on the same shift time, especially in a market like Seattle. Rush hour is not just 8-9AM and 5-6PM. It's more like 6-10AM and 3-7PM, and the evening rush hour largely goes in all directions, not just away from downtown. Then there's lunchtime trips/deliveries, midday errands, picking up sick kids from daycare/school, stay at home parents, second-shift workers, medical appointments, and more. Also the robotaxi is most competitive not against private cars for suburbanites, but rather against trains and busses for city dwellers. Robovans would be a more efficient and effective version of traditional mass transit solutions. At perhaps 8-16 passengers worth of capacity, they can be big enough to get decent economies of scale, but small enough to offer reasonably fast service without too many stops. Busses don't have as good of a balance because the overhead costs of driver wages and engine maintenance favor a larger vehicle size.

Since the average Seattle commute time is about 30 min, that means taxis could squeeze in around 3 or 4 rush-hour commutes each morning and each evening, and that’s conservatively assuming most of those trips require a hour-long round trip to allow the robotaxi to return to the suburbs to pick up the next rider. In reality, a lot of people, especially in the urban core, are commuting not radially in and out of the downtown center but rather from one part of town to another.

Parking and charging is easily solvable. It just takes some infrastructure investment. Tesla could repurpose vacant lots of defunct suburban shopping mall lots, for example.

You said, "That is the market downtown for people that didn't want to go around in a rental or in their own car." Too much of this is static analysis. Robotaxi is not just an Uber or taxi without a driver. That's effectively all Waymo is accomplishing, but they're not capitalizing on the whole opportunity because their current technological capability does not allow for that and because they don't design and manufacture their own vehicles.

1) "The market" is a combination of supply and demand curves. Robotaxis represent an increase in the supply of transportation, meaning that high quantities can be delivered at lower prices. The new market equilibrium would have higher quantity demanded. Ubers at peak hours often cost $3/mile or more. As I write this, it's 7AM here, before the peak of morning rush hour, on a Monday. Right now the price of an Uber ride 17 miles from here to downtown is $48. After tip, that comes out to $3/mile. I wouldn't even consider it at that price. But for $10 I might.

2) As many people have already expressed on this forum, not having a driver is more than just a cost savings. It's also higher value. People want the privacy and lack of awkward silence or small talk expectations. People want to be able to listen to whatever music or entertainment they want

3) Dedicated robotaxis can exploit the economics of high efficiency usage to offer a more luxurious and premium experience. They will have the budget to do so because of the high utilization rate and long vehicle lifetime compared with the average ICE/hybrid Uber. I posted about this a couple weeks ago. There could be a big screen for entertainment, premium audio system, nicer seats, and so on. It can be more like a miniature living room or like a first-class cabin on a long-haul airplane.

4) Big wildcard: Boring co tunnels. If this works out, robotaxis will offer significantly higher speed than any Uber or taxi ever could.

Last edited:
Not sure how it relates to what I was saying. :) I'm not being disrespectful, but if you could be a bit more specific into the point you're making,I can maybe offer a reasonable counter-argument or concede that you're right.
It seemed to me that your message meant that Tesla competition in EU is active and alive, and you wrote

Their sales are increasing, while Tesla's are decreasing.

If you are saying that their ICE sales are increasing, it's right. They are dragging their feet, successfully. But they will have to switch to EVs sooner or later, and the later the sorrier they will be :)
I've posted a chart of the emissions credits they still buy from Tesla, and it's literally in the billions:
1713797137733.png

This is Bloomberg article where is comes from. The idea is that BYD and Tesla will continue to grow, albeit more slowly, and conquer market share and sell hundreds thousands of vehicles. European OEMs will probably slow down a bit, win a battle or two, but ultimately give money and market share to Tesla and lose the war.
All of this without FSD.

I think you completely fail to understand Waymo. They are an over $30billion company and I can assure you they are not valued so because they have a couple of cars offering fares. Right now they are clearly conducing WTP analysis, designing payment systems, etc.

Anyhow you are now engaged in behavior worthy of a TeslaQ so I'll stop responding.

You do have to wonder why alphabet cut waymo loose if it is on the verge of scaling robotaxi ? Today’s $30B valuation is not so impressive given at one point Waymo was valued as high as $200B.

Tesla still has the inside track on scaling autonomy. It’s just going to be a lot more painful than anyone imagined.

Synthetic fuels. F1 is supposed to switch to them.
I'll believe carbon-neutral synthetic fuels when I see them.
Not only production, but distribution and actual usage in normal cars.
It's a possibility, but it's the carbon-neutral part that's hard.
EVs are very simple and very easy to understand: zero emissions, as clean as the electricity they are filled up with.

You seem to have no idea what you are talking about.
View attachment 1040715
Hi, Mongo --

Could you please be less rude? I welcome correction, but think you've adopted a hostile tone.

What's the source for the above snippet? I'm looking at the "CONSOLIDATED STATEMENT OF INCOME" from Toyota's latest 20-F.

Yours,
RP

I'll believe carbon-neutral synthetic fuels when I see them.
Not only production, but distribution and actual usage in normal cars.
It's a possibility, but it's the carbon-neutral part that's hard.
EVs are very simple and very easy to understand: zero emissions, as clean as the electricity they are filled up with.
Yeah but the new fuels allow the present infrastructure and jobs to be kept. Or so they think. The Green Parties across Europe must have been shocked when the Unions objected to the ICE bans.