Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a little OT...

To top it all off, this weekend, front row Neil Young for this here Canadian-US Immigrant. He's sending us their new Album in the mail... literally. I will play it on my freakin Record Player from 1980 something.

The title tells me it's likely a message about our planet. Let's here it Neil.

Item NameSkuQty
Neil Young Fu##in' UpX6CD2522

Last edited:
Sums it up perfectly:

1714091869355.png

🥩Meat Kevin re-buys TSLA. 🤣 EDIT: but still not sharing the link.

Hope they make a right hand drive version first. Apparently, some people here don’t have their in-laws staying over 6 months at a time and needing a 7 seater EV 🙄
Sadly it seems to me like there is no possible way that your in-laws can visit .... problem solved. :)

At least Elon does seem to consider now it according to what he said on the call (that was the first time he mentioned it, right?)
I think it was mentioned only during discussion of how Elon would get to 25% ownership - they could reduce the float by buying back shares, and his percentage of ownership would rise thereby.

Sorry, I never drop in here...but what are the thought on the $25K Tesla that was going to be built..all I have heard is that it will not. Any other news about it? thanks..
It won't be built. Instead they will bring "new models" to market sooner, built on 3/Y production lines. They said almost nothing about these new models, except they'll combine some new stuff with some old stuff which is too obvious to be meaningful. Some new models will be more affordable, some more expensive.

They also said the new approach would not generate as much savings, so bye-bye 25k price target.

Switching from the planned "unboxed" production line to existing 3/Y lines at this late stage would delay Model 2 instead of accelerating it. So we can infer the new models are not Model 2 ported over to the 3/Y production lines, but rather new variations of Model 3 and/or Y.

One of my concerns has been the "balls to the wall" approach that Tesla has scaled production with multiple Gigafactories on multiple continents. It's brilliant until it isn't. It's hard to know when you'll saturate the product demand and when you do, you could have an abundance of product capacity that exceeds demand and factories run most efficient at capacity. This economic slowdown and inflation has certainly thrown a monkey wrench in any estimates that Tesla had expected. This is why I love the latest news that the new strategy will use current Gigafactories first. This will allow Tesla to balance supply to demand and potentially maximize factory efficiency. We can fund the newer factories after we're out of this funk. Practical. Smart. Love it.

Unless, of course, the Tesla App goes live on 8/8 and FSD is so good by EOY or early 2025, they flip the switch. FSD won't wait for Robotaxis. When the data is irrefutable, it happens "now." #ChatFSDmoment 2024

@DarkandStormy I await your troll snark with bated breath

Level 3 autonomous vehicles are already being sold in the U.S. They're not being sold by Tesla.

Quite odd that Tesla won't take liability for vehicles on Autopilot, a feature they've been selling and training for over a decade.

Level 3 autonomous vehicles are already being sold in the U.S. They're not being sold by Tesla.

Quite odd that Tesla won't take liability for vehicles on Autopilot, a feature they've been selling and training for over a decade.
And what will Tesla get by taking liability for vehicles on autopilot besides ...having to take liability? Mercedes need a marketing scheme to make people think their cars are "more autonomous" than a Tesla. Tesla already holds the title for being the most autonomous on the road because their cars actually drives themselves unlike a fake marking campaign.

Ahem, I have averred repeatedly since I joined here at the beginning of 2018 and never gainsaid in the interim that 2024 would be the year for FSD. 😎

Of course the price of that insight was to learn technology forecasting the hard way, by being wildly early to somewhat early in my educational and career choices.
Ouch. Well, I suppose I should be glad to have given @Artful Dodger and @wtlloyd a laugh. Neither my ex nor myself found it amusing that the neural net PhD that I received 30 years ago proved less valuable than expected in my career. Ironic that the “AI" (actually NN) talent war now going on is the fiercest talent war Elon says he has seen.

Of course I wasn’t trained as an engineer, I was is the inaugural classes of a couple of Cognitive Science etc. programs, from whence neural networks arose (literally in my case, hope I don’t dox myself here). Though much of NN’s seems to have been renamed or reframed by engineering departments perhaps to have them as their own, to have their own jargon and to sweep "artificial intelligence"’s ignominious roots in rule based systems under the rug (Who here remembers Marvin Minky’s "sterile" comment from the rules v NN’s war or even who Minsky was and that he was on the wrong side of history?) Still, I hear the core is not that that much changed from the late nineties.

Trying to share knowledge from the junction of neuroscience, neural modeling, non-linear dynamics, psychophysics,… is difficult when others don’t speak the lingo. Indeed my posts here using such referents usually went unremarked or in some cases were even deleted.

Fortunately, having a grasp of how vision works computationally (e.g. yet again FCS/BCS) gave me confidence that a camera based approach would work, even if Tesla used just a big Backpropagation network w lots of layers or a variant thereof. Tesla could after all pick up a few tricks from the brain even if it predominantly uses unsupervised learning.

In any case and as with motor learning, we often learn fastest when we miss. And I did, in fact, do one or two things w NN’s professionally. Though no great shakes themselves, the experience provided calibration for estimating the progress of the field.

In investing, it helpful to know approximately when to expect the real deal versus, say, a shiny object.

Last edited:
Totally possible. I swear just a week ago there were very few of us who believed anything significant would happen with FSD anytime this year or next. The most liberal person I know on this forum @Usain didn't think it would get going until next year. It still could take that and longer, who knows. But to shoot down the vision and dream was a bit like water in the face.

Moving on, I'm really glad we've checked that pessimism at the door. Right? We can clean cars and chew gum, right? Charge and eat? Drive and fart? Just checking...
I have said that trials with safety drivers could start this year, but yes, I was doubtful about it.

Now, not so much. I could easily see Elon announcing immediate trials on 8/8. But I still don't think driverless Tesla robotaxi is possible until 2025 at the earliest.

Last edited:
They also said the new approach would not generate as much savings, so bye-bye 25k price target.
I'm not so worried about the price of the car. Tesla truly can sell them at cost and still make tons from FSD.

Plus with battery prices expected to continue their massive plummet, all EVs are going to get really cheap rather soon.

Ron Barron just said this is the bottom. Why would Drew sell?

Because 180M (or maybe 100 after taxes) is buy your own supermodel-staffed tropical island and live the rest of your life in luxury rich- and for most people is way more than enough money?

View attachment 1041793

Over half his options didn't expire until 2030.

Typically when you leave a company you have 90 days to exercise options or you lose them.