Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unveils New Tesla Brand Solar Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if you already have SE optimizers? Will it it communicate with those over powerline or do you lose the Optimizer data?

In the other thread quoted (mentioned by @willow_hiller ) the thread starter said:

My questions for feedback:
1. My tesla advisor says they are going to be using new "tesla branded" string inverters, says they are not going to be using solar edge or delta anymore. Does anyone know if this is true? Efficiency?
2. I'm told with these new inverters they will not use or offer power optimizers. Do people think this is a big deal if I don't have a lot of shade?
3. Despite telling my advisor, they missed a vent on my roof that would need to be moved, is this a big deal?.....

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Can you mention how you benefit from SREC? I think they are non-tradable in California, or rather the fees are too high for small traders.

Posted in the following thread, Tesla now keeps all the SRECs [SREC = Solar Renewable Energy Credits]

@SaveOurPlanet said

My roof install is scheduled for next month but I saw that there is Solar Renewable Energy Credit for 4 major CA utilities now, PG&E, SCE, SDGE and GPSD. I asked my project advisor about that and I got a new Purchase Agreement to e-Sign, with it there is a $389.00 line item credit from the system cost so my purchase price is reduced by that amount. Not a meaningful amount but I also did not expect it.

While waiting for my roof install I went to do order solar roof again just to see if anything changes like recommended system size or cost. I found a new line item on PG&E SREC, I asked my project advisor what is that and I got a new Purchase Agreement 30 minutes later with the SREC, it basically reduced my system price by the credit amount. As far as I can tell, it appears to be calculated by kW and apples to solar only and not PW.

it sounds like this inverter will also fill the role of the Powerblaster:

One of the electrical guys for my solar roof install in December told me that was the plan and was why Powerblasters were being dropped from current installs. At the time, I asked if it was ok to share that info publicly and he asked me to not to say anything until the new inverters were announced. I guess that's today.

Do all solar systems come with inverters? Tesla sent me spec sheets of both the panels and Powerwalls, but no mention of inverters.

Also, with Powerwalls, does that mean I can shut off my main breaker to the utility line and run simply off my solar system? I'd like to be able to totally disconnect from the grid and see if I can run 100% on solar

Do all solar systems come with inverters? Tesla sent me spec sheets of both the panels and Powerwalls, but no mention of inverters.

Also, with Powerwalls, does that mean I can shut off my main breaker to the utility line and run simply off my solar system? I'd like to be able to totally disconnect from the grid and see if I can run 100% on solar

Yes to both. I imagine Tesla hasn't drawn up a spec sheet of their own inverter yet, but definitely reach out to your assigned project advisor to ask about which inverter you'll be receiving.

With the Powerwalls, depending on how much of your home circuits you have backed up on them, you can run off grid for a time. You'll need lots of sun, and a relatively efficient home if you're hoping to run off-grid for any extended period of time, however.

Yes to both. I imagine Tesla hasn't drawn up a spec sheet of their own inverter yet, but definitely reach out to your assigned project advisor to ask about which inverter you'll be receiving.

With the Powerwalls, depending on how much of your home circuits you have backed up on them, you can run off grid for a time. You'll need lots of sun, and a relatively efficient home if you're hoping to run off-grid for any extended period of time, however.

I just now emailed my advisor.

My girlfriend and I have been living in a Sprinter van for the past five years on our work assignments, outfitted with 400W of solar on top, and 3kWh of battery storage inside the van--we built it ourselves. We have continued to be impressed with how much work that little system can achieve, how many meals we can make, if we use energy efficiently, time our cooking with the sun, and don't waste energy.

Seriously, with two Powerwalls, we are expecting to easily be able to live off-grid most of the time here in sunny Arizona. We just installed a heat pump, hoping that'll be an efficient climate control system.

Thank you

Seriously, with two Powerwalls, we are expecting to easily be able to live off-grid most of the time here in sunny Arizona. We just installed a heat pump, hoping that'll be an efficient climate control system.

A critical factor is if the heat pump was designed to play nice with and off grid system. A large standard start compressor can overload the Powerwalls on startup. Inverter type drives can have lower inrush currents.

• Informative
Reactions: joh01652
EDIT: at least it will look nice, if its next to a gateway 2 and some powerwalls. Wonder when tesla will come up with a tesla branded load center, so one can have a nice, neat row of tesla branded boxes on the wall together :p
I have to think they are at least considering this. One of the nice benefits of this new inverter seems to be eliminating the need for the solar gateway, just as the new energy gateway version 2 potentially eliminated the need for another breaker box. Anything that can help consolidate the number of boxes needed and also add more Tesla branding makes sense. And, as has been a recent topic here, they potentially could include smart features to monitor individual loads.

I am unclear with this new inverter if or how it would replace the powerblaster that was needed to monitor grid usage. While it does seem to include the solar gateway features (and as a nice bonus for solar-only customers, now includes options for wireless and cell communication) I'm not clear if or how it could monitor everything the powerblaster does. So, it would seem like you would still need that (or some similar device) to communicate the information back to the inverter and on to Tesla.

The other observation is that it is interesting it is only coming in two sizes - 3.8 and 7.6 kW. I assume their plan will be to pair one small inverter with each set of 12 panels (4.08 kW - the old "small" system) or one large inverter with each set of 24 panels (8.16 kW.) But it means that more larger installs will require multiple inverters since they don't have the 10kW+ sizes of SolarEdge inverters currently being used. And, there might be more questions that come up about proper sizing when it is not a 12-panel increment (and I know some people are seeing 6-panel size options) since the gap between size options is a bit larger. It could also become an issue should they want to go to higher-producing panels in the future as technology improves (though they could perhaps change their sizing to be in increments of 10 panels instead of 12.)

The other observation is that it is interesting it is only coming in two sizes - 3.8 and 7.6 kW. I assume their plan will be to pair one small inverter with each set of 12 panels (4.08 kW - the old "small" system) or one large inverter with each set of 24 panels (8.16 kW.) But it means that more larger installs will require multiple inverters since they don't have the 10kW+ sizes of SolarEdge inverters currently being used.

Ugh, I wonder what they're going to do in my pending install? I have 26 panels 8.84 kW scheduled to go in.

Drop two panels to get one large Tesla inverter?

upload_2021-1-15_11-9-15.png