TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Unveils The Model S 60 at $66K..... effects on the Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by juanmedina, Jun 9, 2016.

1. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

Tesla unveils new lower-priced Model S electric sedan

Top of the line model 3 less than $66K :)... is possible and only 5K for the dual motor option

2. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

It may take a few hundred M3 sales from people who just can't wait or REALLY need a hatch and couldn't afford the rangier S models.. but overall i don't see a huge effect.

It's stil 30K more for less range than the M3. It does come with free supercharging and is probably a little roomier, but I'm not sure that is swaying people waiting for the M3 to shell out the dough for it.

• Like x 3
  3. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I think it's the same argument about a person buying a loaded 3-series vs a base model 5-series.

• Like x 3
  4. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I did my own napkin math.

Tempting, but in the end, I'll wait on my Model 3. I'm hoping for more range out of the max Model 3, as well as more options, for the same amount of money a base Model S goes for now.

• Like x 1
  5. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

interesting part to me is the battery...clearly it's a 75kwh battery that is software unlockable after the fact. i think this pretty much confirms the will be shooting for one battery for the model 3, and the available size will be controlled by software. same for the high amp charger...

• Like x 2
  6. Tes LA

Tes LA

I can't afford that right now and my 3 won't be loaded so I'll wait. I'm happy they did this though. I think it will inspire some people to pull the trigger.

• Like x 3
  7. ModelNforNerd

semi-troubling though.

Are 60's going to have reduced range, simply because they're lugging around the extra weight?

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  8. Booga

Booga Member

#8 Booga, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Price and range aren't there. It's $20k too much and 90 miles short on range. Even if those were fixed, I'd rather wait for AP v2 to be announced at this point.

• Like x 1
  9. bro1999

bro1999 Member

Compared to a 60 without the extra battery, yes. But there are no more "regular" 60's being offered for sale new, so that point is sorta moot. Seems the NEW 60 still has a higher range rating than the original 60.

10. electracity

electracity Active Member

I don't know. The new model 3 offer is designed to bring in new buyers now. A software upgradable model 3 pack would cause many people to reduce their initial purchase price at little benefit to Tesla.

11. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#11 stopcrazypp, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Disagree. Everything points to the S60 being a niche car (much like S40 was a niche) and the S sells in lower volume in the first place. Thus Tesla can afford to do this (as they did with S40). The Model 3 base model however will sell a lot more even if it is not the majority of Model 3 (although there is a distinct possibility that unlike the S, most people will choose the base for the 3).

12. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

With the 75 kWh battery being software unlockable it reaffirms my belief that the 75 kWh battery is built into base price in addition to a 20%+ margin. The software upgrade therefore is pure profit. Well done!

13. model3fan

model3fan Member

Everyone in front of me in the Model 3 queue should totally go for the S60!

• Funny x 20
    • Like x 7
  14. Booga

Booga Member

They might have an expected upgrade % baked into it. Sometimes, a lower sticker price is to get people into the store and not worry so much about the price. If they believe only 5% of people will walk out with a 60 kwh battery, then that 20%+ margin is likely really carried by the folks upgrading for the 75 kwh capacity. If the calculations somehow become the source of a major issue, they can always give a lower priority to delivery without the upgrade.

This is like the airline miles game - the airlines have redemption assumptions baked in. On any one customer, it might be a loss for them to issue the points, but given the number of people who will not use them fully, it works out on the whole.

15. N5329K

N5329K Member

Nice car but it's still too big.
    Robin

• Like x 4
  16. MissAutobahn

MissAutobahn Elon, please ramp up Fremont in ludicrous mode!

Maybe they'll play the same game with the M3? You buy standard M3 (about 55kWh) but you get a car with hidden 20kWh on top...

• Like x 1
  17. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

It would definitely make manufacturing easier to produce one battery pack for every car. You've got to love that $500 penalty if you upgrade after purchase.

18. ModelNforNerd

They likely justify that as "IT expense". Servers and bandwidth and whatnot for the OTA push.

19. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Seems to me it's just an indication that the batteries are now cheaper for them thanks to the gigafactory, and they can afford to put a carrot out there for those who don't want to wait for the M3. It really costs them nothing to do this, and its pure profit if buyers opt for the "upgrade".

• Like x 1
  20. el crucero

el crucero Member

The S is a nice car, but I don't want an S! I want a T3! The T3 meets more of my requirements vis a vis size, price, and image. Love that pano roof and dash on the T3.

• Like x 2