Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unveils The Model S 60 at $66K..... effects on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paying 8000EUR for unlocking something that is already in the car, and the cost of producing is already spent. 533EUR for extra 1KWh... Rip off for 15KWh more. Hope they will reconsider procing policy for M3, this is hard to accept. I can see this as a premium vehicle pricing strategy, hope M3 will be much more real when it comes to options.
It's hard to accept, but attitudes are changing. It's like paying to remove ads on an app. If you use it enough, it's not a big deal to pay a buck or two, in my opinion.

Reactions: Red Sage
Keep in mind that the real price after $10K of tax credits in CA is $56K and close to $50K with gas savings factored in :cool:

Tesla unveils new lower-priced Model S electric sedan
Top of the line model 3 less than $66K :)... is possible and only 5K for the dual motor option

It may take a few hundred M3 sales from people who just can't wait or REALLY need a hatch and couldn't afford the rangier S models.. but overall i don't see a huge effect. It's stil 30K more for less range than the M3. It does come with free supercharging and is probably a little roomier, but I'm not sure that is swaying people waiting for the M3 to shell out the dough for it.

upload_2016-6-9_13-16-38.png

Reactions: Red Sage
Hmmmm if the m3 tax advantages (am in CA) are projected to go away depending on the m3/tesla production and your point in line, one might consider a 60 and get the tax credits for the 60. RWD, stripped but w/ supercharging standard. What a great 'problem' to have, that decision at a rapidly approaching date. Happy hunting to all.
Yes. I stopped by the local Tesla Store today with exactly these things in mind. Added in, or subtracted, is another $2500 from local government. It starts to get within shouting distance of a moderately-optioned M3.
But the S 60 is still too big on the outside, and still too mid-sized on the inside. The seats are a lot nicer than they used to be, though.
My Prius V spoiled me for smart interior space utilization.
Robin

$50K with gas savings factored in

That number always seemed a bit scammy to me. its based on a 20mpg car and the only variables you can change are the price of gas and the miles driven per year. You can't change the assumed MPG. And I don't think it includes how much you will pay for electricity instead of gas (a potentially significant cost in CA).

They should really not even include that number, ugh.

To me, an S getting 200+ miles EPA with only 60kWh lines right up with a 50+kWh 3 getting 215+ miles, and hopefully 300+ miles from the larger pack.

That number always seemed a bit scammy to me. its based on a 20mpg car and the only variables you can change are the price of gas and the miles driven per year. You can't change the assumed MPG. And I don't think it includes how much you will pay for electricity instead of gas (a potentially significant cost in CA).

Yeah, that's pretty annoying. Granted, it's something anyone buying a $60k+ car should be able to throw together in a spreadsheet, but I would appreciate Tesla more if they had that as an option.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
As a Model S owner, all I can say is the estimated savings are real.
Here are the detailed assumptions that Tesla uses in the calculation.

upload_2016-6-9_21-19-58.png

To me, an S getting 200+ miles EPA with only 60kWh lines right up with a 50+kWh 3 getting 215+ miles, and hopefully 300+ miles from the larger pack. Yeah, that's pretty annoying. Granted, it's something anyone buying a $60k+ car should be able to throw together in a spreadsheet, but I would appreciate Tesla more if they had that as an option.

Extreme smart move for Tesla, it's a win win situation.

Tesla needs to increase production, that includes parts and labor to prepare for M3, they're making 90k MS/X in a year now, but Tesla can't suddenly flip a switch and start making 500k in a year. Tesla needs to sell more cars today to position them to hire more labor and parts so they can be ready when M3 production starts.

Why a win for M3 reservation holders? Anyone buys a MS now will probably cancel the reservation for M3, bump everyone else up.

As a Model S owner, all I can say is the estimated savings are real.
Here are the detailed assumptions that Tesla uses in the calculation.

Oh, I know the savings driving an EV are real. I did all the math when I bought my Volt and sold my IS250.

I just think the layout of the prices is a bit misleading that the top price (the one you look at first) is the one that has the gas savings subtracted out. You have to muddle around a bit when you first look at the page to figure out that the bottom price is the one you need to pay attention to (since that's the amount you will actually be paying Tesla).

Out of curiosity, I just did the math for my old Lexus IS. My gas savings with a Tesla would be about $3700 over 5 years accounting for electricity costs (I don't have solar). Still a good number, but still only half of the number they tout. I guess that is my other heartburn - that number is going to be so different for everyone that its a bit crazy to even include it the way they do. They could provide a calculator for your gas savings or something but not directly subtract it.

Reactions: Lunarx
Oh, I know the savings driving an EV are real. I did all the math when I bought my Volt and sold my IS250.

I just think the layout of the prices is a bit misleading that the top price (the one you look at first) is the one that has the gas savings subtracted out. You have to muddle around a bit when you first look at the page to figure out that the bottom price is the one you need to pay attention to (since that's the amount you will actually be paying Tesla).

Agreed. Anytime I want to mess around with the configurator, the first thing I always do is to set the cost of gas to $0.01/gal and miles/year to 1, which reduces the laughable "gas savings" calculation to $0.

I still cannot avoid the feeling that this is actually a price increase, if you want to get to the original 70D, which was around $70K including AWD... Now the price is $66k, for 60KWh and RWD. So to get to original configuration it is roughly something like $66k base price + $5k AWD +$9k upgrade to 75KWh battery pack... Is not this now $80k vs. $70k for 70D which only had 5KWh less? I guess the original 70D is no longer offered right? Maybe I am not seing this well, but I see this not as positive as others might...

• Helpful
Reactions: ChrisJ
Extreme smart move for Tesla, it's a win win situation.

Tesla needs to increase production, that includes parts and labor to prepare for M3, they're making 90k MS/X in a year now, but Tesla can't suddenly flip a switch and start making 500k in a year. Tesla needs to sell more cars today to position them to hire more labor and parts so they can be ready when M3 production starts.

Why a win for M3 reservation holders? Anyone buys a MS now will probably cancel the reservation for M3, bump everyone else up.

Only people who really lose are classic S60 owners that were looking to sell soon. 5-10k in resale value just got chopped overnight.

The gas savings calculator for me is a mixed bag.

On one hand, the car portion of my commute is now only 8 miles every day.

But my car is the non-dog car for weekend errands and getaways.

And it has to be > 91 Octane (I always stick with 93 or more...)

Will I save money with an EV? Absolutely.

Will it be as much as the "calculated savings" on Tesla's site? likely not.

To me, an S getting 200+ miles EPA with only 60kWh lines right up with a 50+kWh 3 getting 215+ miles, and hopefully 300+ miles from the larger pack.

Keep in mind also, the weight difference is even more pronounced now between an S60 and a Model 3 -??kWh

the S60 is getting 200+ EPA while carrying the software-locked 75kWh pack. Yes, I understand it's more efficient than the "old" S60, but if they can squeeze 200+ out of the heavier car, with a heavier pack in it....I'm excited to see what the Gen-3 batteries can do for us in the "max range" Model 3.

300 miles EPA seems to be within shouting distance now.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I still cannot avoid the feeling that this is actually a price increase, if you want to get to the original 70D, which was around $70K including AWD... Now the price is $66k, for 60KWh and RWD. So to get to original configuration it is roughly something like $66k base price + $5k AWD +$9k upgrade to 75KWh battery pack... Is not this now $80k vs. $70k for 70D which only had 5KWh less? I guess the original 70D is no longer offered right? Maybe I am not seing this well, but I see this not as positive as others might...

You can get the 75kWh for $74,500 at purchase. I believe the 70kWh started at $71,500 with a $3,000 upgrade option at purchase to get the full 75kWh at $74,500. In BOTH scenarios, if you wanted a 75DkWh vehicle, you were going to have to pay the extra $5,000 not included in the base price. I don't think this changed anything in terms of pricing in that regard.

The reason why people are saying it's a positive move is because the current 60kWh is being offered at a similar price to the original 60kWh vehicle, except it's coming with supercharging, autopilot hardware, etc, that was NOT included in the original. I don't see how this is viewed any way other than good.