Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed that the number of used Model S inventory in the US has contracted by about 30% in past 2 weeks or so?

Per ev-cpo hunter (ev-cpo.com) there regularly used to be about 11xx used Model S for sale by Tesla (my tracking). That has been reduced to about 814 as of today. Trend is downward for 2 weeks.

Is this a regular pattern folks have seen in the past?

thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.25.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.25.34 AM.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 290
I've been watching the #'s for months now and I don't believe there was an end-of-quarter push like some mention. The numbers had been dwindling going back to February and the prices weren't falling as rapidly and consistently as they had been going into last year. None of the #'s I saw indicated anything about trying to gain revenue later in Q1 like some had hypothesized. Going back to the middle of last year the # of Model S's available per the 3rd party websites has been reduced drastically. Whenever I plug in the parameters of vehicles I'd be interested in the # of results that meet that criteria are about 1/3 what they were just 6 months ago. The prices of the returned results aren't that much different than they were 6 months ago either. I think we're finally hitting a supply v demand changeover and the used market should stabilize a little better as a result. I believe we're hitting the end of the "buyer's market" on used Model S cars and this should be solidified by the number of inexpensive used Model 3's that are soon to come online. This could of course all be derailed by an impending worldwide recession but we won't get into all that.

Reactions: neroden
Screenshot_20190317-102429.png The cars are going to the brokers since the 2016 lease returns are flooding in.

If you look at the Carfax there are many used tesla's on cars.com, they've been listed since as early as 6/2018, but majority around 10/2018. So I really doubt the demand is there.

Also, they may remove it from inventory as a scare tactic for potential buyers. Screenshot the vin like I did using ev-cpo; don't be surprised it pops back up in a few days

I luckily got in on a price reduction on a 85d in very good condition 3/18 through Tesla. Today tesla service are fixing a non disclosed scratch and as a courtesy, offered to touch up the disclosed nicks.

View attachment 392917 The cars are going to the brokers since the 2016 lease returns are flooding in.

If you look at the Carfax there are many used tesla's on cars.com, they've been listed since as early as 6/2018, but majority around 10/2018. So I really doubt the demand is there.

Also, they may remove it from inventory as a scare tactic for potential buyers. Screenshot the vin like I did using ev-cpo; don't be surprised it pops back up in a few days

I luckily got in on a price reduction on a 85d in very good condition 3/18 through Tesla. Today tesla service are fixing a non disclosed scratch and as a courtesy, offered to touch up the disclosed nicks.
I've been doing that too and have seen several disappear and reappear. This is separate from that as the overall number would remain relatively unchanged. What I'm saying is that that overall number has been steadily declining since the end of last year at a rather alarming rate. Every now and then the overall number will go up one or two but not before it drops one to three at at time many times over.

Example: go to ev-cpo and search all used Model S for the option "Ludicrous" mode and no other parameters. As of this post the # of cars included in the result is 37. That number was triple digits a few months ago. I've also done this for P85D and P90D cars as well as a few other more specific searches (not including Ludicrous, P85D or P90D) and the # of cars in each instance has dwindled dramatically. Sure some days it will be up one or remain unchanged as cars go away and come back but the overall number is what I'm talking about here and it's tending downward at a noticeable rate and has been for months now.

People keep talking about the flood of lease returns and quarterly pushes but the data doesn't support this. It's pretty obvious that it's going in the other direction in fact.

I've been doing that too and have seen several disappear and reappear. This is separate from that as the overall number would remain relatively unchanged. What I'm saying is that that overall number has been steadily declining since the end of last year at a rather alarming rate. Every now and then the overall number will go up one or two but not before it drops one to three at at time many times over.

Example: go to ev-cpo and search all used Model S for the option "Ludicrous" mode and no other parameters. As of this post the # of cars included in the result is 37. That number was triple digits a few months ago. I've also done this for P85D and P90D cars as well as a few other more specific searches (not including Ludicrous, P85D or P90D) and the # of cars in each instance has dwindled dramatically. Sure some days it will be up one or remain unchanged as cars go away and come back but the overall number is what I'm talking about here and it's tending downward at a noticeable rate and has been for months now.

People keep talking about the flood of lease returns and quarterly pushes but the data doesn't support this. It's pretty obvious that it's going in the other direction in fact.

Ah. I see what you mean. Only time will tell. It may just pop up for sale at the dealers. I didn't have enough time to gauge that during my 1.5 month search. If i didn't get my 85d, I wouldve compared vin inventory at the dealers using cars.com. I think that's where it went.

Interesting find and very helpful for future buyers and sellers.

[QUOTE/] I luckily got in on a price reduction on a 85d in very good condition 3/18 through Tesla. Today tesla service are fixing a non disclosed scratch and as a courtesy, offered to touch up the disclosed nicks.[/QUOTE]

Was that just a normal price reduction they do every couple of days or were you able to talk someone into a deal?

also people should know that there are always a fair amount of used cars that aren't on the web, this is why it's always best to call a CPO adviser for any "not visible" offerings.
i made the deal on my P85 that way, and my Model 3 was as well an inventory "not visible" car. i believe i got better than average deals on both.
it never hurts to ask what else is out there when you're buying this big. work with sales reps, that's what they're there for. (when they answer.)

Reactions: Spano1
I have been watching teslacpo.io. It lists price reductions for the vehicles and also when they were sold. I noticed within the last day there were 50 to 100 vehicles all of which sold 21 hours ago. It appears that Tesla took these off the market. In my opinion there is no way they sold that many cars at the same time. I have also noticed a few vehicles Iw as following go off the available vehicle list and then reappear a week or so later

30% reduction in used car inventory as compared to winter time doesn't sound abnormal to me. The weather has turned warm for the majority of the US and that marks the start of car sales season. I'd imagine the EOM/EOQ brings a lot of people into the market looking for deals and lots may have made their way to Tesla.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
[QUOTE/] I luckily got in on a price reduction on a 85d in very good condition 3/18 through Tesla. Today tesla service are fixing a non disclosed scratch and as a courtesy, offered to touch up the disclosed nicks.

Was that just a normal price reduction they do every couple of days or were you able to talk someone into a deal?[/QUOTE]

Just eyeing the market for about 1.5 months. From 52.x to 47.7... if i waited about week, think it wouldve gone for $44.xk. just saw one I was also eyeing at $44.3k.

Was that just a normal price reduction they do every couple of days or were you able to talk someone into a deal?

Just eyeing the market for about 1.5 months. From 52.x to 47.7... if i waited about week, think it wouldve gone for $44.xk. just saw one I was also eyeing at $44.3k.[/QUOTE]

Also per carfax it was turned in 1/6/2019, so I'm sure it was listed 56k+. But I wasn't gauging it till I saw it hit $52.x. I ordered it 3/18.

I believe many of the used cars went into to loaner fleet, possibly because of the reduced new inventory due to the recent sale prices. The cars are probably still around but are now being repurposed. My son got an older S85 for a loaner the other day. I was surprised they are loaning out older cars.