Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Valet service goes POOF!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's talking about valet, so it's drive-able. Towing would be another issue.

- - - Updated - - -

You should temper any policy you see on the website with the expectation it is subject to change (unless it explicitly says "for the life of the car" or something to this effect). Any service expectation not written in the purchase contract or some kind of written contract can't really be relied upon, esp. if it is mission critical to owning the car.

I just read my purchase agreement and there is not one word about service policies in it. The only mention of warranty policy is the statement that "you will receive the Tesla Motors Limited New Vehicle Warranty at or prior to time of Vehicle Delivery". So at the time of making the final purchase decision, OP had only the statements of sales staff and Tesla's online descriptions of Valet Service to rely upon.

I just read my purchase agreement and there is not one word about service policies in it. The only mention of warranty policy is the statement that "you will receive the Tesla Motors Limited New Vehicle Warranty at or prior to time of Vehicle Delivery". So at the time of making the final purchase decision, OP had only the statements of sales staff and Tesla's online descriptions of Valet Service to rely upon.
Right, which is why if his purchase of the car is 100% dependent on such service being available for the life of the car, he should have either gotten a separate contract that had that written or not bought the vehicle.

I know if I were to buy a Model 3 and buying it was 100% contingent on having valet service available for the life of the vehicle, I would not be buying the car unless I had it written in a contract. Without that guarantee, I would assume that offer can always end if Tesla ever found it unsustainable to offer.

Right, which is why if his purchase of the car is 100% dependent on such service being available for the life of the car, he should have either gotten a separate contract that had that written or not bought the vehicle.

I know if I were to buy a Model 3 and buying it was 100% contingent on having valet service available for the life of the vehicle, I would not be buying the car unless I had it written in a contract. Without that guarantee, I would assume that offer can always end if Tesla ever found it unsustainable to offer.

Saying things in hindsight is always easy. However, at the time I bought my car I was also under the impression that this would always be the case. I'm 50 miles from my service center so it's not a big deal for me to bring it in, which I normally do anyway, but as I said upthread, this does nothing to help Tesla's brand promise. To say that Tesla can do this and that legally because they didn't put this or that into the contract, etc., is missing the point. Many made decisions based on this availability early on, and when Tesla really needed the support, and when it was no longer convenient Tesla took it away. This leaves those who bought several hundred miles from their service center out in the cold, especially when they had been taken care of before but are now being told that it's going to cost $3 per mile.

Regardless of whether it's legal or not, borrowing Elon's own terminology this is "uncool".

Saying things in hindsight is always easy.
Right, but given Tesla has done similar things way more than once (with zero indication they will ever change, esp. given it is well with their rights to do so), I don't get why people still expect things to be different. As it relates to service specifically, they have unilaterally changed the terms multiple times since the Roadster days (even the valet policy, when it was introduced, was a unilateral change itself).

Regardless of whether it's legal or not, borrowing Elon's own terminology this is "uncool".
I definitely get that point, and I hope the local service manager would do something to set things "right" (or at least meet in between). The policy is "soft" so there is room for local service centers to do things different. However, my comment is in hopes to set different expectations in the future, so people won't be disappointed.

Saying things in hindsight is always easy. However, at the time I bought my car I was also under the impression that this would always be the case. I'm 50 miles from my service center so it's not a big deal for me to bring it in, which I normally do anyway, but as I said upthread, this does nothing to help Tesla's brand promise. To say that Tesla can do this and that legally because they didn't put this or that into the contract, etc., is missing the point. Many made decisions based on this availability early on, and when Tesla really needed the support, and when it was no longer convenient Tesla took it away. This leaves those who bought several hundred miles from their service center out in the cold, especially when they had been taken care of before but are now being told that it's going to cost $3 per mile.

Companies change their policies over time all the time. They have to be able to, or they could be driven out of business.

If you didn't have contractual obligation for this service to be performed, you were relying on an assumption that nothing would drive the policy to be changed, and that assumption turned out not to be true.

I agree that it stinks, but it's neither illegal nor unethical to change policy over time in response to shifting market realities, or simply a desire to lose less or make more money.

Customers will vote with their pocketbooks, and that may drive further policy change, but that's the market economy approach.

The SC in my area is 24.8 miles from my house and 8.9 miles from my job, and that does introduce some complications if I were to care about valet service when I buy. Just another in the litany of things that is giving me pause in pulling the trigger on an MS.

Tesla does seem to be showing a trend towards less and less extraordinary customer service over the past 2 years. I'm not exact.y sure where it's going to end up, but the trajectory is not comforting to me...

When it comes time for your next service appointment, call them, schedule it up, and ask for valet. If they tell you that you'll be charged, ask to speak to the service manager at the service center to get the clear scoop.

+1 to this.

I don't think 'stop whining...' is really a helpful response - the OP clearly shows that Valet service was promised as a no cost feature at the time the car was purchased - this is another example of great promises to early adopters that are not really viable for a mass audience and Tesla simply reneges on its promises and acts as if they were never made.

I understand that expecting a free pickup and delivery is a big deal - but that is what was promised.

I am sad to say that there are numerous examples of similar actions over the last few years - it makes me very sad to see.

Right now the local service centers are saving Tesla corporate from itself. We really like the car, and want the company to succeed but they do seem to be doing their best to erase years of early adopter good will.

I'm not saying it is! Not at all. It's just a repeatable pattern that someday is really going to bite them in the ass in the form of a lawsuit or a class-action. And that's going to cost them 100x more goodwill than just "doing the right thing" in the first place.

Not providing it for ANY car purchased in the future is fine, as long as the policy is made clear to those purchasing. Personally I don't think that's the right decision, but it's a fair one. Changing the policy unilaterally, after customers have made a commitment, on the other hand, is another issue entirely.

Agreed! Grandfather in current customers or give them a carrot to voluntarily give up the current benefit.

So you buy an electric vehicle that is 100K that is over 160 miles to the nearest service center. that would be my first question. also 500 bucks if you are driving a 100K car I could only imagine and its new that warranty service happens once a year? also 500 bucks? sounds better than 2000 for what ever needs done. I am assuming the door handle was busted? quit yanking on the handle so hard. I kid. but yeah that does suck that they change stuff after a lot of people buy stuff. AT THE VERY LEAST those should be grandfathered in like those with verizon who had unlimited 3/4g still do even though they do not offer it any more.

Considering I'm still living with 3-4 issues after 2 services (or maybe 3), this would be a deal breaker for me if I was far from SC, knowing what I know now about Tesla quality. I think a lot of us have stopped recommending the car or cooled off on promoting it enthusiastically the way we used to.

MattOtt,
After the launch of the Model S, Tesla introduced the flat $100 Ranger service. Wonderful! Even better, they offered a service plan, which for only $100 extra per year, included unlimited ranger/valet service. I bought the full eight years for my Model S.

I bought 4 years of this plan with my 2013 Model S. But within a year they were trying to weasel out of it, even though I live in Houston, and not overly far from a service center (about 30 miles to the old one, now 15 from the new one).

So this isn't strictly distance related - it was just a bad miss by Tesla, misjudging the cost of this offering. I'm glad they're still honoring yours.

He's talking about valet, so it's drive-able. Towing would be another issue.

- - - Updated - - -

You should temper any policy you see on the website with the expectation it is subject to change (unless it explicitly says "for the life of the car" or something to this effect). Any service expectation not written in the purchase contract or some kind of written contract can't really be relied upon, esp. if it is mission critical to owning the car.

False advertising. It was bought with specific attributes. The OP's claim has been raised many times before, and obviously is a fast one Tesla pulled, immorally and illegally as far as I can figure out. My balanced opinion is:

a. Tesla did wrong.
b. While I wouldn't go through the lengths to sue them if this didn't represent an enormous hardship for me, I wouldn't be against others doing so.
c. Having said (a) and (b), if I were such a customer (promised valet and far away that Tesla is trying to pull away), I'd still look for a way to "just deal with it" while trying to get Tesla to pay for their share of expenses anyway and still "try to find a way" to make things work out from my end.
d. I absolutely support Tesla in changing the terms and specifications of NEW purchases of new or used Tesla's; a price change, in one way of looking at it (less product being sold at that end of it).
e. Having said (d), a compromise I would suggest to Tesla is that they find a way to honor their original advertising for those it was current to and/or buy those people out at reasonable cost. The buy out would be some sort of option: hey, we noticed we dropped the bag, so we're offering you two options: (1) you can keep your free valet service for the life of the vehicle in your ownership (or whatever the original promise was on the website), for free, no further action on your part, and by the way here's the new toll free # to call for valet service for you, or (2) you can willingly surrender that option for $X bucks cash/check/whatever, effective upon your receipt of that money after you sign said agreement and send it to us. Also Tesla ought to take out any language that offers something to new customers that they don't intend to offer.

This way, Tesla can make right. They would have some amount of buy-out perhaps, getting their liability books more laid out, and get a specified number of customers with valet service liability that they originally promised them. Obviously, Tesla realized they messed this one up financially, but that's their fault, and hey, if they put that extra amount of effort into making sure the valet customer vehicles have less overall problems (perhaps prevent more problems on those cars when in the SC, at the expense of the customers having to wait longer during services as well as more expense by Tesla on maintenance of those vehicles), then Tesla can minimize the valet cost, as well as get more data about how that particular preventative maintenance pans out. I bet the data they gain from this exceptional prevention would be immensely valuable to the quality control engineers at Tesla.

So I think there's plenty of good solutions to this totally crappy problem. I'm an armchair observer, so don't expect any good actions out of my talking; just ideas for those who have action to make.

I considered another option, but it doesn't work: I was thinking "hey, if Tesla gets Model III customers everywhere, they'd eventually get service nearer to those valet customers anyway, getting back into the decent cost zone". But the issue there is that Model III is still many years away (even if "many" is >1).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. So there it is, in writing. On the website.

I considered another option, but it doesn't work: I was thinking "hey, if Tesla gets Model III customers everywhere, they'd eventually get service nearer to those valet customers anyway, getting back into the decent cost zone". But the issue there is that Model III is still many years away (even if "many" is >1).

You raise some great points, especially this one.

Assuming Tesla just has to have significantly better Service Center coverage by the time Model 3 comes out, the duration of this problem from their standpoint should be somewhat short-lived. There's less of a reason for them to be pulling the rug out from under existing customers. It would be one thing if Tesla viewed what they were doing as saving them x number of dollars times y customers over z years, where z could be something like six to eight. But if z is just one or two, I'd think that would change things pretty significantly.

Let me start you off with a riddle: How do you open the door on a $100,000 car?

The answer: well, it depends on where you live. This statement may seem ridiculous for owners that live/work close by a service center. However, if you live more than 25 Miles/KM from a service center, the answer has become much more expensive.

Tesla has decided (suddenly and without notice) that they no longer offer valet service in many areas. And if they do, it will cost you. This is troubling for me, and many other Tesla owners, who were sold the car with this service guaranteed to us by Tesla literature and Tesla staff. More troubling has been the Tesla service approach of denying the existence of such service. Add to that, service staff insinuating that I must be confusing valet service with road-side assistance and, quite frankly, it borders on insulting.

For my part, I'm quite sure that I wouldn't buy a $100,000 car with the knowledge it would cost me $546 every time it required warranty service! And that's because, my house is 200km (125 Miles) from the nearest service center.

I'm far from alone in believing that the warranty valet service was part of the sales pitch. The owner blogs have numerous entries about it, such as:
If You Live Far From A Service Station Your Cost Of Ownership Just Went Way Up
Change of Policy on Tesla Ranger Service
3 mile ranger fee be informed (before) you buy

You may be thinking; “C’mon, didn’t you check the literature on their website?!” Well…yes, I did. The entry titled "Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program" from CEO, Elon Musk, dated April 23, 2013, still appears on the Tesla website. In this description of warranty and service offered by Tesla Motors, Musk includes a section titled "Valet Service" in which it states: "Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this."

So now you're thinking; "Is that it? Did you base your $100,000 decision on this one statement?!" Well...no, but it would appear Tesla has removed other references to their warranty valet service. Luckily, I have access to a time machine.

Come with me and step inside the Wayback Machine and let’s have a look at the Tesla Service site back in June of 2014 when I ordered my car...Oh! Look what I found:

21st Century Service.. . Many issues can be resolved remotely, but if your Model S does require in-person attention, you can bring it to a Tesla Service Center, or have your car picked up in exchange for a loaner at no charge with our valet service.

And...

Tesla Valet Service. Tesla is putting in place a valet service so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.

Tesla appears to be whiffing their way down the value ladder to become every other car company. OK maybe a half-step above VW, but mostly on par with the likes of GM or Ford. In fact, the Tesla policy change has the same feel to it as the GM warranty plan in late 1980s. GM charged $100 deductible every time warranty work was required on the car. Then again, the GM policy was documented whereas Tesla promised valet service and then simply removed their valet service guarantees from their website and left owners wondering what they’ve paid for. Can you say Bait and Switch?

"But wait", you say, “Certainly Tesla wouldn’t be looking to make money from service? They have repeatedly said that service is not meant to make money.” After all, Tesla has taken great pride in distinguishing themselves from every other car company. It is no secret that they have fought against the dealership networks that survive on making money from service. Well, consider this: In the US, they are now charging $3/Mile for valet service. Outside the US, where the metric system is prevalent, they are charging $3/KM for valet service. That’s a 60% surplus and disproportionate to the cost of transportation. It’s also an infinitely higher cost than the promise of free I was quoted at the time of purchase.

So why do I feel compelled to tell you this? Well, I propagated the knowledge of this warranty valet service to potential owners, some of which went on to buy the vehicle. I've conducted numerous walk-throughs on the benefits of the car, which included Tesla service guarantees that I quoted from Tesla literature, Tesla sales staff and Tesla delivery experts. Heck, I even paid my own way into the local car show to stand by the Tesla booth for two and a half hours and talk up the Model S as an owner. So, yeah, I drank the kool-aid and was an all-in fanboy. What changed? Quite simply, I was lied to and feel duped. This may sound like nothing more than sour grapes, but the truth is Tesla has painted me into a financial corner.

I believe Tesla has taken the long-view that owners will fall in line and accept this undocumented change in policy. This is, after all, the price of driving the future. The Tesla Model S is seen by many as a toy for the super-rich. For those owners, I would agree that it may be simple to shake their head at this undocumented change in policy and just hand over their credit card. There is, however, another class of Model S driver, the underclass if you will, that paid well more than they would normally pay for a vehicle. These owners took the long-view that, while having paid a huge sum of money for the Model S, their total expenses over a 5 or 8 year period would be mostly fixed given the low-cost to operate an electric vehicle and the supposed knowledge that Tesla would make warranty work seamless, even if a service center wasn’t in the immediate area.

It is much harder to predict your costs given unexpected expenses for items that appeared would be covered under warranty. In my case, though, how many unexpected $546 charges would it take before my Tesla Model S became 'unmanageable'? Well, the short answer is 2. So there you have it, Tesla's long-view and the underclass of Model S owners' long-view stand in contrast.

Tesla should consider that this underclass of Model S owners are the ones more often rubbing shoulders with and promoting Tesla to would-be Model III owners. You know, the upcoming model that has Tesla 'all-in' with its Nevada Gigafactory battery plant. I would have to suggest a serious rethink for anybody holding out for a Model III.

In fact, to any prospective Tesla client, I couldn't recommend a purchase unless you live in close proximity to an existing service center. Even then, given Tesla's cavalier approach to changing policies that affect their clients' well-being, I would caution a high degree of skepticism when accepting information from Tesla.

My strong recommendation would be:
  • Get everything in explicit writing - just because it exists on the website, it could disappear at any point.
  • Remember that sales people are still sales people
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY: Do not buy a Tesla unless there is an existing service center in your immediate area
    • For my part, I was told at the time of delivery that a Tesla service center was 12-18 months away for my city. That was 14 months ago and we are now further away from getting a Tesla presence than we were 14 months ago.

As a member of the underclass who believes in the vision of Tesla, it's disheartening to have Tesla put this financial hardship on early-adopters. In my case, to the point I may need to sell the car at a substantial loss.

Given this corner Tesla has painted me into, I'll close off by stepping through my options:
  • Move my family to a city with a service center so I can get warranty service for FREE
  • Sell the vehicle at a huge loss and replace with something that can be serviced in my city
  • Tie a rope to function as my door handle and drive on

By virtue of being the least bad, option 3 would be my choice. Incidentally, it is also the answer to the riddle.

That's right, you open the door of a $100,000 car using a rope!

View attachment 98982

I agree with the OP. I am saddened and dismayed by the recent changes in "policy". In my location, the SC hasn't been built yet, so I must rely upon the one that is close to 100 miles away. Our car was delivered on Aug 10, this year and so far, has been faultless ! With the new changes, to what was already promised, I too worry that Tesla IS, a rich man's car.
Until I have more solid proof that what I was 'sold', has been recinded,, I feel that I would be in error to recommend the Tesla as it was first recommended to me, in April of this year.
And, yes, I still love this car!! But, I how do I know what is the truth, on what I was told??

Andy, you and I along with thousands of others are in the same boat. I, too, would have thought long and hard about buying the car so far from a service center. In my circumstance, it will cost me nearly $1000 for a valet fee for the yearly service that costs $600 to go to the Mt Kisco service center. Does anyone think this is reasonable, especially since we were led to believe that at most it would be a "small" fee. I can tell you that the employees at Mt Kisco thought the new policy was ridiculous. The only reasonable course of action for Tesla would be to grandfather all buyers before the policy change into something like the $100 fee. Hopefully a service center will pop up close.