Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicle Log Graphing application for Mac OS X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S-2K

Thank you for developing this, especially for MAC OS. I have a lot of "green" at the top of the graph!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 10.43.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 10.43.32 PM.png
    565 KB · Views: 349
Version 2.0

Alright, folks: I'd been hoping to create a cohesive set of new features that seemed like they were well-planned, but time has been short. Instead, here you have some of the requested features like 'time' in the ruler, a bit more latitude for zoom, plus I added graphing of the battery temperature. There's a lot more I could do, but I doubt that it will happen soon, so here's a new release. I hope to eventually graph the various temperatures and perhaps even merge the charging and driving timelines since some of the stats appear in both, but we'll see.

Mostly, this release allows you to see if your battery remains hot when plugged in, if the charge screen is set to delay until a specific time. I was very curious about whether my battery was perhaps not being cooled as much as it would be if I always charged on plugin. The verdict seems to convey bad news. Anyway, here's the link again:

Tesla Logs 2.0

Note that the new information being graphed is a range from the minimum in the pack to the maximum in the pack. So, blue temperature gets thicker when there is a wide discrepancy in temperature throughout the battery pack, then gets thinner as the cooling system gains control to tame the heat. Likewise, the light orange cell voltage is shown as a range from minimum to maximum (cell voltage is 4.2 V or less and shown in the charging window, while pack voltage is as much as 400 V and shown in the driving window). You'll note that cell voltages vary much more right at the end of a charge, but then even out to a narrow range as the charge settles. I topped off my battery a couple of times to watch how it worked out.

I get the following error:
Vehicle Log file format parsing error.
Bad Checksum

I just click ok and it seems to work after that.
Yes, this happens with some VehicleLogs. One or two out of the seven that I have pulled from my car do this, one error or another. It's an undocumented file format, so there's no easy way to anticipate every possible data pattern.

I just found this and so far its awesome. Some of the line colors aren't on the axis, what do the purple and green represent on the driving chart?

I'm having issues navigating the charts under 10.7, since Apple hides the scroll bars by default its very difficult use the scroll bar without zooming. Also difficult to use with a laptop and trackpad the multitouch keps zooming or panning when you mean to do the other. Sometime Apple really sucks at following their own best practices of usability... Are you working on this anymore?

Green is the position of the accelerator pedal. 100% floored is the top of the window, so the scale should be obvious.
Purple is the torque. I haven't put any markers for the scale there, probably because I haven't finished deciphering the exact translation from raw data to torque. Plus, there's the challenge of foot-pounds versus Newton-meters. I'd like to support both, which is tricky, so at the moment I support neither.

Right now, I support Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard. Support for Lion might be difficult if I have to cripple features that work fine elsewhere. Have you tried using the scroll wheel instead of the scroll bar? I guess this means you'd need to attach an external mouse on a laptop...

I still use this application, and may have developed some more features since the last release - I'll have to see whether it's due for another release. Technically, I will continue to develop it as long as I have my Roadster, which I plan to be a long time. However, professional features may evolve like molasses since this is free software and I have my electronics and firmware design work to keep me busy.

Got it now. Looks good.

Feature request: Overlay the errors onto the graph. Or have them able to be displayed w/ an annotation as to what they are.

EDIT: also maybe a couple of buttons for date & time ranges.

Last edited:
Ok, folks. I'm working on a new version. If anyone has VehicleLogs that give an error in the latest 2.0 version, now is the time to send them to me so I can make the program more robust. Just PM me if you're willing to send a .tar file that won't open or display. I don't want to fill this thread with support comments, but if someone wants to link to other threads where VehicleLogs have already been publicly posted, then I'll test those, too.

New version is released as 2.25

From the ReadMe.rtf:

This version has been tested with a wider range of VehicleLogs, including Roadster 1.5 logs. There are also a few new features, like the log Changes window and the Firmware Updates window, and enhancements to existing features, like the arrow keys and date ruler view.

Progress bars have been added during long input file scanning periods to help indicate that the program is not hung. However, there is one slight oddity to note. Because the log wraps in memory, the progress bar may appear to repeat twice, since the position is based on the file address. It didn't seem worth changing this anomaly, since it's as good as most software progress bars these days.

The Drive window now responds to the left and right arrow keys by automatically zooming in to the previous or next driving excursion. The Charge window similarly responds to arrow keys by zooming in to charging sessions. Unfortunately, the software doesn't yet allow you to jump through the sequence. You can manually scroll and zoom as you wish, at random, but the arrow keys still consider next and previous to be relative to the last auto-zoom region. Future releases should improve on this.

An additional section has been added to the scroll view rulers to display the month, day, and year of the starting point of the visible data. Now, if you zoom in so far that the day or even month is not shown in the regular time line, you'll still have a reference for the date.

After opening a given log file, you can display a Firmware Updates window with a chronological list of each new revision of firmware that has been loaded on your car. Type Command-u or select Updates in the File menu.

The Changes window, available under the Window menu, scans an entire directory of VehicleLogs and summarizes the reusable Recent Log from each file. This means you can look at the entire history of a vehicle. The yellow bars represent areas of the Recent Log with updated information, while the green bars represent memory that has not changed since the previous file. A bright green hash points to the position in the Recent Log where new information will be stored. I created this view to help determine what spans of time I've lost in my collection of logs. If you see yellow all the way across a particular file, except for the bright green hash, then this means you've lost some logs in the Recent section because it was erased before you grabbed a log. It's happened twice to me in three or four years of owning a Roadster.

Thanks!

The new features are great, but 2.25 still seems to hang when I select "Driving". I just get the spinning pizza wheel of death. It has been going for nearly 10 minutes now, so I'm thinking that it's not coming back. This is on a 1.5.

Oops!

Spoke too soon. Shortly after I made this comment, the Drive Log window opened up.

Sorry, I'm going to go off and quietly browse my logs now...

Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
I've been lurking on this site for probably a year or more trying to learn as much as possible. I want to buy a 2.5. I am European based. I have seen 1 or 2 vehicles advertised that I would like to investigate further. Part of the process for me was to get the logs and try and figure out CAC and general condition of the batteries.
Well today I got a log file of one of the cars I was interested in. It was a file with today's date and ended with .tar
Inside after unpacking I found 1 folder Flash and 1 file vms_log. Within flash there was a lot of small files named: ahr.log, charge locs.cfg, firmware, several "message" files + another 10 files of various names. I have tried both the window version of the file reading program and the Mac version and I cannot get either to read of make any sense of any of the files.

Any idea what could be going wrong - does the format of the log files seem correct to you guys?

Thanks for any input that you may have.

Jonathan

I use the VMSParser.exe program under either Windows or Linux (via Wine). You don't unpack the .tar archive first; just aim the program at the file and let it run. The default (no options) mode gives you the charge & drive events, including the CAC at the end. Do also use the -p option to get a look at the various error events that have occurred.

VMS Log Parser for Tesla Roadster

OK thanks, managed to get 2 windows open - 1 for charging and 1 for driving - I don't see any other buttons on the panel apart from charging and driving - I'll boot up into Windows and try this other version...Thanks again